Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2019, 06:05 AM   #61
Trailer Park Supervisor

Peaknocker Road effect got us in Vermont. Luckily, we were in a car, because you wouldn't be able to turn around in a trailer. I decided to go with the 'trust' but didn't verify. It got scarier and scarier the deeper we went before finally managing to turn around. I can still hear the Deliverance music playing, and we are damn lucky we didn't end up in a stew pot that night. I also learned there are areas of Vermont that are not nice like maple syrup and Bed and Breakfasts and all the usual things you think of when you think of Vermont.

edit: Oh, when the road it puts you on suddenly has more vegetation growing out of it than tire tracks, that's your sign! It didn't initially, but the farther and higher we climbed, it became apparent we weren't in Kansas anymore, lol.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:36 AM   #62

Our Garmin took us off an interstate off ramp then across the intersection and back down the on-ramp.
WTF?

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:59 AM   #63

Hazmat issues with Garmin

We have a Garmin Nuvi about 4 years old. When traveling through Baltimore we know we can’t take our TT through the tunnels and must use the Key Bridge. Our Garmin doesn’t recognize this and tries to route us through the tunnels. As we head to the bridge it keeps trying to route us back! I called Garmin and they said my unit wag not set up to recognize hazmat situations an my only recourse was to by the newer model. What good is an RV unit that doesn’t recognize the most basic of RV hazards?
dicknlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:47 PM   #64

This is a great topic. I am currently looking into getting an RV/trailer specific GPS unit. Thanks for all the replies from everyone. It is always good to hear what others do and get recommendations.

I usually try and check the route ahead of time so I have an idea what route we'll be taking and if it looks straight forward. I always use our Garmin plus google maps or some other direction app/software. If we see that both aren't agreeing on the next turn in the route or we see something that doesn't make sense the DW gets the map out and can usually figure out the best way to go.
5.3 V8, 3:73 Rear, Tow Package

JKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:57 PM   #65
Rookie

Any update on recommended Android apps to use when traveling with a TT? I'm picking up my camper in a month and don't want to get stuck on a parkway or other low bridge/restricted roadway on my way home.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:11 PM   #66

So for my summer trip I tried the RV Life app. I loved that I could put in my year/make/model and it already know weigh/height/width/propane. I used it on a 3000+ mile trip from NJ to Maine to Canada and back. Worked great. Avoided low bridges, etc. also, unlike Waze the ETA was more realistic for RV driving. I also liked that I could choose to download maps by state so I didn’t need a cell/WiFi connection to use it. So far I m very happy with it and I didn’t have to buy a hunk of dedicated hardware.
EricNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:27 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprovy View Post
Any update on recommended Android apps to use when traveling with a TT? I'm picking up my camper in a month and don't want to get stuck on a parkway or other low bridge/restricted roadway on my way home.
We ultimately decided to get Co-Pilot RV. It has worked well for us all summer. We run it on an iPad but it is also available for Android. I have used it in the RV and the car (on RV mode) and on both known and unknown routes. Overall it has been very good. It has kept us off questionable roads and away from low overhead clearance and light weight rated bridges. It is pretty intuitive although the UI could use some tweaking here and there. I've only had one instance where it chose to keep us on a business route instead of a highway and I'm assuming I somehow chose an option I didn't want for that route. Overall I'd give it a score of about 90 out of 100 and would recommend it. The subscription was something like $22/year and included traffic.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:36 PM   #68

Lets talk GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
I have always used the Garmin. This last one was for RVs and never had an issue but a few times it sent me on a little longer path that I really knew the other way was shorter. It has never sent me on a bad route nor has it malfunctioned. RV760 model.

I have the same Garmin and it hasn’t let me down yet. Was recently in Hilton Head and I knew a safe side street that I could take to get to motorhome park and save a couple of miles and a busy intersection. As I took the turn the Garmin immediately warned me that it was not an acceptable RV road. Since I knew it would be ok I took it anyway. Still,was impressed that the Garmin was on top of it. Also,I check for updates before every trip.
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:08 PM   #69

Good thread. I`m looking at getting a new GPS. I was thinking of a new Garmin, but came across the CO PILOT app. I downloaded it on my Ipad but it didn't work properly. Its older and isn't Cellular. I tried tethering it to my IPhone but it was still a no go. So I downloaded it on my IPhone XR. On that it works great. I even turned off cellular and it still works great. So I may just use it on my phone. I use my Ipad for Dash Command anyway.

As far as Garmin goes. It has given some questionable directions. I was in WI and it wanted to send me down a back road, narrow 2 lane. this was without the trailer. came to find out that that route was .3 miles shorter than the main route!
This is why I always try and verify a GPS route on a paper map or use google earth or mapquest in satellite mode.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:01 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeFeo View Post
I have the same Garmin and it hasn’t let me down yet. Was recently in Hilton Head and I knew a safe side street that I could take to get to motorhome park and save a couple of miles and a busy intersection. As I took the turn the Garmin immediately warned me that it was not an acceptable RV road. Since I knew it would be ok I took it anyway. Still,was impressed that the Garmin was on top of it. Also,I check for updates before every trip.

Had a friend do that, hadn’t been down that road in a while but knew it would save a couple of miles. Put his 13’ 6” rig completely through a 10’ 6” temporary obstruction. All the way through. Not funny and did happen. Oh, he had to pay for the damage to the structure but his insurance almost payed for his rig.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:16 PM   #71
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeFeo View Post
Warned that it was not an acceptable RV road or warned that it did not know if it was acceptable for an RV? I've seen the latter on a few streets including the one I live on.

Ray