Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2019, 10:03 PM   #1

Leveling panel shows jacks down after sitting.

I have noticed a couple of times when I go out and start my MH ad Gen every 2-3 weeks when I am not using it that my jack control panel shows jacks down but they are not down. I hit retract all and hear the system engage briefly and the light goes out. If they were extended it was not very far. Everything seems normal....fluid levels fine, jack look fine, no leaks etc.....when I extend/extract them they work fine. It seems to happen when the RV sits for a little while.

Is this something I should be concerned about?
Old 02-20-2019, 11:11 PM   #2

During storage this happens to me also.
What it means is that the pressure over time in the system has dropped and needs to be turned on to pressurize the system again.
It only takes a few seconds for me and usually happens when the temperatures change outside.
I'm sure other have had similar issues.

Visually check and see if you have any hoses or filling leaking.

Also check you fluid tank is full with everything up and in. Usually 1/2" from the top of the tank.

If you had any maintenance on the system in the past year you just may have some air that will naturally bleed itself out may cause it.

Hope this helps you.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
During storage this happens to me also.
What it means is that the pressure over time in the system has dropped and needs to be turned on to pressurize the system again.
It only takes a few seconds for me and usually happens when the temperatures change outside.
I'm sure other have had similar issues.

Visually check and see if you have any hoses or filling leaking.

Also check you fluid tank is full with everything up and in. Usually 1/2" from the top of the tank.

If you had any maintenance on the system in the past year you just may have some air that will naturally bleed itself out may cause it.

Hope this helps you.
Thanks! That is good to know.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #4

Just curious to someone that may now.....If my hydraulic system loses all pressure....is there a chance the jacks could extend while I am driving? In other words would they simply drop down thus tearing up a lot of stuff? I'm think not but wasn't sure. I assume they need pressure to go up also?
Old 02-21-2019, 10:35 AM   #5

While driving and if the system pressure falls below about 1500 psi there will be an alarm that goes off and yes it takes pressure to keep them up.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
While driving and if the system pressure falls below about 1500 psi there will be an alarm that goes off and yes it takes pressure to keep them up.
Thanks! My RV is only 2 years old but if and when I start having issues with leaking I will probably have all the lines replaced with steel braided lines. I have been under inspecting things and noticed a number of areas where they ran the lines through the frame and resting on sharp edges - there was already wear on the lines from rubbing. I placed some pieces of pool noodles between the line and the metal to help it but figured eventually I will have issues.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #7

Lippert jack systems that don't use springs use hydraulic pressure to both lower and raise the jacks. When the jacks are fully up, hydraulic pressure builds and full pressure is shown by the "jacks down" light being extinguished.

If the light comes on when your rig has been sitting for an extended time and there's no air in the system, then you have a hydraulic leak. There's a number of places a leak could be but the only ones you might see are a leak at one of the hose fittings or the top/bottom of a jack. A leak in one of the solenoids controlling where pressurized fluid goes will return fluid to the tank and not be visible. I also believe that there could be a leak inside one of the cylinders that allows fluid to seep from "push up" to the "push down" side which will cause the pressure to drop causing the jacks down light to turn on.

From my personal experience, I can categorically state that the jacks will not drag on the ground if you loose all hydraulic pressure. The first time my jack system on my 2011 Georgetown failed, I ended up using 2x4 lumber as levers to manually raise the jacks while draining the hydraulic fluid out of the system. With no pressure holding the jacks up, they dropped a couple of inches from the full up position but were well clear of the road for the remainder of the trip home.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
Lippert jack systems that don't use springs use hydraulic pressure to both lower and raise the jacks. When the jacks are fully up, hydraulic pressure builds and full pressure is shown by the "jacks down" light being extinguished.

If the light comes on when your rig has been sitting for an extended time and there's no air in the system, then you have a hydraulic leak. There's a number of places a leak could be but the only ones you might see are a leak at one of the hose fittings or the top/bottom of a jack. A leak in one of the solenoids controlling where pressurized fluid goes will return fluid to the tank and not be visible. I also believe that there could be a leak inside one of the cylinders that allows fluid to seep from "push up" to the "push down" side which will cause the pressure to drop causing the jacks down light to turn on.

From my personal experience, I can categorically state that the jacks will not drag on the ground if you loose all hydraulic pressure. The first time my jack system on my 2011 Georgetown failed, I ended up using 2x4 lumber as levers to manually raise the jacks while draining the hydraulic fluid out of the system. With no pressure holding the jacks up, they dropped a couple of inches from the full up position but were well clear of the road for the remainder of the trip home.

Phil
We are going next week to a state park for a week. I plan on leveling the RV and measuring how far each jack extends and than measuring them after a day or two. That will at least help me narrow down the jack that might have an issue....right?

It seems that on a previous post about lippert jacks I read that someone suggested adding anti stiction? fluid reservoir to help with issues. Would that be something that might help?
Old 02-22-2019, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
We are going next week to a state park for a week. I plan on leveling the RV and measuring how far each jack extends and than measuring them after a day or two. That will at least help me narrow down the jack that might have an issue....right?

It seems that on a previous post about lippert jacks I read that someone suggested adding anti stiction? fluid reservoir to help with issues. Would that be something that might help?

I'd be leery of adding anything to the resevoir except the recommended fluid. Your plan may or may not work. If the leak is at the solenoid, it should show up as the one jack compressing a bit. An internal leak in the cylinder may or may not show up because the seals have moved from their "jacks up" position.

One simple thing to check is that the manual releases on the solenoids are all closed. If one isn't fully closed, it should cause the problem you have. Information about the manual releases is documented in Lippert's manual for the jack system. If you don't have a printed copy, it should be available online.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
I'd be leery of adding anything to the resevoir except the recommended fluid. Your plan may or may not work. If the leak is at the solenoid, it should show up as the one jack compressing a bit. An internal leak in the cylinder may or may not show up because the seals have moved from their "jacks up" position.

One simple thing to check is that the manual releases on the solenoids are all closed. If one isn't fully closed, it should cause the problem you have. Information about the manual releases is documented in Lippert's manual for the jack system. If you don't have a printed copy, it should be available online.

Phil
So....I checked the valves and they all were about 1/2 - 1 turn open. I turned counter clock wise and tightened them up. That indeed may be my problem.

BTW, It seems somewhere I read that the system is self bleeding. Is that right?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2019, 10:39 PM   #11

BClinton, yes the system will self bleed. I have had 4 hose failures on my system, each time the reservoir was pumped out. Not only the jack hoses but the slides too. The hoses are rubbish, you can cut them with scissors. I am in the process of replacing all the hoses with REAL hydraulic hoses, so far I have done 10 of them.
I carry with me a 1/4" air hose repair kit, 4 hose clamps and 3 qts of fluid, that will get the jacks up and the slides in until I can get the next failed hose replaced.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
BClinton, yes the system will self bleed. I have had 4 hose failures on my system, each time the reservoir was pumped out. Not only the jack hoses but the slides too. The hoses are rubbish, you can cut them with scissors. I am in the process of replacing all the hoses with REAL hydraulic hoses, so far I have done 10 of them.
I carry with me a 1/4" air hose repair kit, 4 hose clamps and 3 qts of fluid, that will get the jacks up and the slides in until I can get the next failed hose replaced.
That's a great idea with the air hose. Will have to add that to my tool chest.

Tags
jacks, leveling, show