Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #1

Leveling Question

Our campsite for the next week is horrible. All 4 jacks are down however the rear wheels are about 6 inches off the ground. I have leveling blocks under both rear jacks and rear wheels. Front wheels are chocked. This is the only way I can come close to leveling. Should I be ok? Any other ideas since no more lots are available?
David658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David658 View Post
Our campsite for the next week is horrible. All 4 jacks are down however the rear wheels are about 6 inches off the ground. I have leveling blocks under both rear jacks and rear wheels. Front wheels are chocked. This is the only way I can come close to leveling. Should I be ok? Any other ideas since no more lots are available?
I built some leveling blocks from scrap 2X4's for this problem. If it was me I would use the blocks to get up high enough so the tires do not leave the ground. This was the first trip I used them and they did the trick. I think having less jack extended helps with stability.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:38 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

DANGER DANGER DANGER

Do whatever you have to do.....move leave or get out of town.

You should never have any of the wheels off the ground....AND ABSOLUTELY NOT THE REAR WHEELS. THATS YOUR PARKING BRAKE AND WHEN YOU PUT IT IN PARK IT LOCKS THE REAR WHEELS.

If they’re off the ground.....YOU COULD ROLL!!!!!!!

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #4

Good advice. From previous posts, as I understand, the jacks are designed to support the weight of the coach, and therefore should not be a problem, but if the rear wheels are off the ground there is nothing but the jacks to keep the rv from moving and the jacks failing at the mounting point
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by David658 View Post
As long as you have leveling blocks under the wheels itself, you will be okay. As for myself I would ask for a different site if possible.
As others have said, parking brakes are connected to the rear wheels. If rear wheels are off the ground you may damage the jacks.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:07 AM   #6

what campground are you at? I love Georgia parks.

could you drive in, instead of back in, etc?
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling