Old 09-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #1

Leveling system

I have a 2006 Georgetown SE 34TS and when the leveling jacks start to go down the main slide starts moving out. The jacks are jerky as they go down. Can anyone help me??????

Thanks

Old 09-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #2

Not sure, but I know that the same pump operates the slides and jacks. There must be a valve letting the fluid transfer from the jacks to the slised. Maybe put out the slide first, then the bypassed fluid won't have anywhere to leak to. Make sure you fluid level is up and that there are no leaks.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisiowa1955 View Post
I have a 2006 Georgetown SE 34TS and when the leveling jacks start to go down the main slide starts moving out. The jacks are jerky as they go down. Can anyone help me??????

Thanks

Lots of questions come to mind.
1. Have you had the motorhome since new?
2. Did you just buy it used?
3. Have you checked to see the level of fluid int he tank?
4. Did it just start this recently?
5. Have you ever manually retracted the slides? Meaning tuirning the alllen screw in or out on the valve body?
6. Has the ATF fluid ever been replaced as it says in the manual?
7. Do you have a local RV dealer to check it out?

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #4

Leveling system

Thanks for the reply. I just purchased this unit. So I have no history of the leveling system, other than the owner telling me it was OK. Ha Ha. I will start with the things you offered. I will check for leaks, change the fluid. I read another article about zeroing out and resetting the system. I will try all of these things and respond later.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #5

Quote:

Thanks
I had a simular problem with my Berkshire this summer. It has an equalizer system. I nolonger remember which system is on the Georgetown. On the Equalizer system each leveling leg and slide has a valve at the pump. On mine the valve stuck. Took five minutes to change and all was good. On the system the ports are well marked so there was no issue as to which one needed to be changed. Equalizer has good support on their web site and call center.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I just purchased this unit. So I have no history of the leveling system, other than the owner telling me it was OK. Ha Ha. I will start with the things you offered. I will check for leaks, change the fluid. I read another article about zeroing out and resetting the system. I will try all of these things and respond later.

Thanks
Great plan.
Like Silver said it just may be a valve sticking and I would expercise all the valves over a few days after checking fluid level. It just may be that you need to get some air out of the system which will automatically clear with use.
Just remember not to run the pump for long periods of time.
With shore power hooked up extend and retract a slide and wait a few minutes then do it again. Do this over 30 minutes on all slides and levellers not to over heat the pump too much.
If the pump gets to hot it may damage a seaal then you have other issues. So add as needed regular Automatic Transmission fluid from Walmart. Mark the holding tank whne everything in up and in as well as mark the tank wehn everything is out and down. I use a red felt tip marker on the side of the tank. This way you will easily see if you need to add any ATF.

With everyhting in and up the fluis level should be withing 1" from the top of the tank.
Good luck

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #7

sounds like you have 2 problems jacks are jerky due to air or low fluid level ad fluid and run system . like iggy said dont over heat pump motor . slide is moving when jacks are due to either a solenoid valve for the slide stuck open or a bad o ring on the valve letting pressure by and directly to the slide cylinder
Old 09-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #8

Had a similar issue, both jacks and slides going out on, my first trip out years ago with the then new to me 373. Called lippert and they thought it was low voltage. I did also bring up the level in the reservoir up a little as it was about 2 inches down verus 1 inch suggested. Since than I am always plugged in or have the generator running when I operate the slides. The problem has never repeated. As others have suggested you may have a little air in the system causing the jerkiness. A few operational cycles should purge the system after checking your reservoir level. Would space them out to allow batteries to recover and avoid overheating the pump. Also I never use the auto setup feature of the leveling system. In manual I put the front jacks down so they both take load. Bring the rears down so they both have a load. Then work the front to rear or side to side to correct until the green light comes on. Seldom do you a solid green general its just flashing. Shut the engine down plug in and put out the slides. Double check the level by judging if the bathroom door moves when placed half open. If needed, Fire the rig back up an relevel.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #9

Leveling

I want to thank everyone for all of the advice. I changed the fluid, called LCI and replace the valve and coil on the main slide. All is fixed!

Thanks, Ron

Tags
leveling