Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #1

Leveling with front tires off the ground

Hi,
I was wondering if we needed to add support under the front tires while the they are off the ground?

I’m thinking no, but this is in our driveway and I wasn’t sure if this puts to much stress on the jacks.

Kathy
KWhite2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhite2018 View Post
Hi,
I was wondering if we needed to add support under the front tires while the they are off the ground?

I’m thinking no, but this is in our driveway and I wasn’t sure if this puts to much stress on the jacks.

Kathy
Yes, i always put support under the tires if they are off the ground, takes the stress off the hydroloic lines. And eventually over time the tires will settle to the ground as the pressure will collapse the jacks
roylhsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Kathy......

Is your driveway sloped so much that you need to have the wheels off the ground? If it’s in your driveway for storing, it doesn’t need to be perfect.

Just saying

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:51 AM   #4

I just ordered 6 ton jack stands for my RV on the Driveway when in between long non use times. Tires will stay off ground. Levelers will be retracted as if on wheels. I will put them down (and back up) again before use in order to remove jack stands.

My jack stands will only be on front axle as there is an apx 5 degree slope. Will need to raise it apx 9-12" to be 1" above level for AC to drain correctly to the rear.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Kathy......

Is your driveway sloped so much that you need to have the wheels off the ground? If it’s in your driveway for storing, it doesn’t need to be perfect.

Just saying

It’s pretty level.

What happened was, we were hitting auto and the front was lower and I always felt like I was walking up hill.

So my husband hit another button which I’m assuming was the front and we leveled it until it was level and went outside and the tires were off the ground.
It’s only been a few days.
Last night he asked me if we needed blocks under the wheels and I told him I would ask you guys.

I just retracted the jacks and I’ll check the level when I find it. I think it’s fine though.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #6

Some say no, you shouldn't leave the wheels off the ground, some say it is ok. I confess that if both fronts are off the ground it seems a little unstable on those thin cylinders...shakes a little.

You should know that the autoleveler is really wasteful of jack extension. Put it in manual and start there. I use a little bubble level on the floor but the Lippert flashing center light generally comes on way before I am satisfied that I couldn't do a little better.

Now, if it is just storage, I wouldn't even worry about level, but you shouldn't extend any slides until you are level...at least left to right anyway.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylhsr View Post
Yes, i always put support under the tires if they are off the ground, takes the stress off the hydroloic lines. And eventually over time the tires will settle to the ground as the pressure will collapse the jacks

Thank you!! I just retracted them for now.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
I just ordered 6 ton jack stands for my RV on the Driveway when in between long non use times. Tires will stay off ground. Levelers will be retracted as if on wheels. I will put them down (and back up) again before use in order to remove jack stands.

My jack stands will only be on front axle as there is an apx 5 degree slope. Will need to raise it apx 9-12" to be 1" above level for AC to drain correctly to the rear.

I’ll pass this along to my husband.
Thanks.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #9

Newmar says not to have tires off the ground, bad for the front end.
Sealyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:30 PM   #10

I wouldn't do it. Unless you are also fairly level to begin with from side to side you will be putting tremendous stress on the frame. I watched a windshield pop out of a coach in a campground as the guy was raising the front end off the ground. You would be better off to run your tires up on blocks and just use the jacks for stabilizing.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #11

My personal view is that you want at least one wheel from each axle having solid ground contact. The rear axle is obvious, because you need it for the parking brake. But, the front axle needs lateral support in case you get a cross-wind, so one of those wheels must also be on the ground.

Having said that, I usually drive wheels onto blocks if I see that one wheel or more is going to be off the ground. My blocks are 3/4" plywood screwed to some 1.5" thick lumber. These are easy to drive onto (and can be doubled with a stair step arrangement). They also fit nicely under the sliding cargo tray – anything thicker doesn't fit.

To get onto the blocks, the easiest way is to use reverse gear, which is much lower than forward.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:54 PM   #12

Leveling with front tires off the ground

I always support the front tires if they are off the ground. The main (only?) reason is to take the load/strain off the suspension. At a park that I camphost at my tires are about 8" off the ground. I put about 10" of blocks under them. It doesn't make the coach any more stable but my shocks and bushings aren't under load for the 4 months I'm there.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #13

As one of the others stated, use the Manual mode. When I use the Auto Level it always wants to lift my front wheels off the ground.

I can get the unit level (most times) without the wheels coming off the ground. I will say, when I am on a really sloped driveway or site, I will put blocks under the front wheels to get "some" amount of touch to solid ground for the fronts.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookupAndGo View Post
As one of the others stated, use the Manual mode. When I use the Auto Level it always wants to lift my front wheels off the ground.

I can get the unit level (most times) without the wheels coming off the ground. I will say, when I am on a really sloped driveway or site, I will put blocks under the front wheels to get "some" amount of touch to solid ground for the fronts.

Thanks. I think that’s a great idea!
Old 05-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk510 View Post
I always support the front tires if they are off the ground. The main (only?) reason is to take the load/strain off the suspension. At a park that I camphost at my tires are about 8" off the ground. I put about 10" of blocks under them. It doesn't make the coach any more stable but my shocks and bushings aren't under load for the 4 months I'm there.
I just use it more by never staying in one place that would require me hooking up. When back home, I take it for a road run, not a camping trip, at least monthly to exercise everything including the generator. The month home, it will be on front stands.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:48 AM   #16

Jack stand leveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk510 View Post
Because I am now backing in to driveway, the draining roof water wants to come forward. That is a problem with the roof AC unit designs that need ot to drain aft in order for proper drainage. By using the levelers in manual and then placing jack stands under the "I" beam the suspension stays in normal compression and I achieve everything as it should be - Proper drainage, Tires off the ground, suspension under normal conditions, .... I did not need or want the rears in the air. I put 24" x 12" solid pine under stands to spread the footprint and load. Prevents driveway cracks and can be used on dirt surfaces to.

Driveway has a 5-7 degree down slope. Now the refr will be level during cool down too - posted by others in another thread.

I love win-wins!
2 pics - overview and closeup
I finally used wheel cover snaps. I should finally trim excess now - lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Kathy...... If it’s in your driveway for storing, it doesn’t need to be perfect.Just saying
BTW, my answer is obviously YES. That is the difference between me and most others. Too many years where there are no points for second place. The acceptance of mediocrity (at best) is how this pathetically run RV industry survives. If they were held to a higher standard, not even a high standard, the "Yugo"s may rise to the level of a "Chevy". My Opinion as an OEM in a different industry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack 01.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	170792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack 02.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	170793  
Old 05-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #17

Auto level will raise it to high, I always use manual
manvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #18

My driveway slopes so I just use the 2 jacks on the low side to bring the coach to somewhat level when packing for the trip and for the fridge cool down. The only restriction is to not have all the tires off the ground. All the extra hardware (boards and such) people carry for under the tires seems to defeat the purpose for levelers. The front wheels coming off the ground for leveling is not a big deal and not detrimental to the coach undercarriage. I don't get it. Much ado about nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0499.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	171637  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #19

The only issue I had with the front wheels off the ground is the bottom door step. It was a foot off the ground. My DW had a problem the last step.

I may have to buy an "Aerobic Step" to use for the ground step.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, tire, tires