Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2014, 08:57 PM   #1

Light under cabinet over sink

Has anyone had to replace the light bulb under the cabinet on a 378? I cannot get the darn fixture off. Frustrating!!
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:36 AM   #2

What type of fixture is it? The round ones you have to push to turn on/off?
Old 05-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #3

It's the round one with chrome ring.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Sounds like the type we have over the sofa. It's similar to a bayonet bulb. I have to palm the lens. push in slightly and turn to the left [counterclockwise], ease up on the pushing and you should have the lens in your hand.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #5

It is like the ones over the sofa. I will give it a try. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Sometimes to get a better grip on removing these lights, I use the thin rubber non-slip pad material they sell so items on your car dash won't slide, and palm the material between my palm and the light lens.

Might help IF the lens were to break too

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #7

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Sounds like the type we have over the sofa. It's similar to a bayonet bulb. I have to palm the lens. push in slightly and turn to the left [counterclockwise], ease up on the pushing and you should have the lens in your hand.
We're having the exact same issue also with the over-sink/under-cabinet light! Sadly, it is not like the "cans" in the ceiling which you can push in and rotate - these don't push in or rotate at all that we can tell (and Boy Howdy, we've tried!) . . . it almost seems like they should be pried or popped off to get to the bulb.

Here's a picture that might help someone with greater experience and wisdom than we (which should be most everyone here) assist us - 'cause having no light there sure makes cooking and cleaning up a PITA!

Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks!

Lisa and Frank
2008 Georgetown SE 350 - "The Flying Wasp"
No Tow Car
Two Cats
Bad Kitten On A Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #8

The lens rotates counter clockwise to remove it from fixture. I know it doesn't seem like it but it does. I pried one out of the ceiling before I figured it out. On the positive side once you get out once they work easier. Someone mentioned to use a sticky surface to help remove. Something like a silicone pad used to remove lids would probably work well. Good Luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudysWorld View Post
The lens rotates counter clockwise to remove it from fixture. I know it doesn't seem like it but it does. I pried one out of the ceiling before I figured it out. On the positive side once you get out once they work easier. Someone mentioned to use a sticky surface to help remove. Something like a silicone pad used to remove lids would probably work well. Good Luck!
Thanks, Rudy for the quick response and the help - I do very much appreciate it!

I was able to try this with one of the lights above the sofa (easier to access) and indeed, after some effort, was able to push the lens in and rotate it . . . funny story though, because it had been siliconed in the metal ring it wouldn't pop out of it and just would rotate and rotate and rotate - so I eventually pried it out of the ring and broke it in half.

So, now I'm rather reticent to try this with the light over the sink and break that lens as well . . . any additional ideas you might have to solve for this conundrum would be AWESOME!

Lisa and Frank
No Tow Car
Two Cats
Old 05-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #10

I'm going to try with a gripper this weekend. I tried with my bare hand while we were in Florida and it did not budge it.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #11

This type of light is a real PITA. I broke the lens on one of these trying to get the cover off to replace the bulb. I have 7 of these lights and have so far replaced 5 with different lights. I never could get the lens/bezel off any of these darn lights. Very frustrating
rgfenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #12

If they break, looks like new lights all around..........Hate to be somewhere and really need the light and have it burn out and not be able to replace it.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgfenner View Post
This type of light is a real PITA. I broke the lens on one of these trying to get the cover off to replace the bulb. I have 7 of these lights and have so far replaced 5 with different lights. I never could get the lens/bezel off any of these darn lights. Very frustrating
Great. More designed obsolescence.

What kind of lights did you replace them with? We were thinking of putting in LEDs instead of the halogens.

Lisa and Frank
No Tow Car
Two Cats
Old 06-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #14
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Kitten On A Rampage View Post
Thanks, Rudy for the quick response and the help - I do very much appreciate it!

I was able to try this with one of the lights above the sofa (easier to access) and indeed, after some effort, was able to push the lens in and rotate it . . . funny story though, because it had been siliconed in the metal ring it wouldn't pop out of it and just would rotate and rotate and rotate - so I eventually pried it out of the ring and broke it in half.

So, now I'm rather reticent to try this with the light over the sink and break that lens as well . . . any additional ideas you might have to solve for this conundrum would be AWESOME!

The larger lights are the ones where the lens twists out. On the smaller lights the whole fixture (including the chrome ring) twists out. This is probably why it was siliconed in and broke.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #15

I have a 2011 360, no problem on this and ones over sofa the silver ring is the only part to move, turn counter clockwise and the both ring and glass come down, uses g4 style bulb 10w, has halogen in it. I replaced all with leds. Amazing how much less heat.

Tags
light