Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2015, 03:26 PM   #1

Lippert 3 step electric / Kwikee

Anybody have a connection on reasonably priced Kwikee steps to upgrade from the junk lippert steps ( and yes I know lippert bought out Kwikee ) but it's sure hard to swallow $1200 for some electric steps.... These lippert steps are junk....

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #2

I saw them advertised at Camping World a few months ago for about half that. Don't know if they still have them.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijoeboss View Post
Anybody have a connection on reasonably priced Kwikee steps to upgrade from the junk lippert steps ( and yes I know lippert bought out Kwikee ) but it's sure hard to swallow $1200 for some electric steps.... These lippert steps are junk....
Contact Lippert customer service directly and tell them the shoulder bolt broke...you may get a whole new step at no charge.
chill960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill960 View Post
Contact Lippert customer service directly and tell them the shoulder bolt broke...you may get a whole new step at no charge.

I may do that next week, I myself already replaced the broken shoulder bolts and brass bushings, now the BIG bolt that holds the gear asy on has broke off at the threads and the steps just hang down, I'm sure the threaded section of that bolt will me a nightmare to try to get out...... I'm over working on these steps myself! 2013 XL 16K. Miles

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 09-05-2015, 06:10 AM   #5
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijoeboss View Post
I may do that next week, I myself already replaced the broken shoulder bolts and brass bushings, now the BIG bolt that holds the gear asy on has broke off at the threads and the steps just hang down, I'm sure the threaded section of that bolt will me a nightmare to try to get out...... I'm over working on these steps myself! 2013 XL 16K. Miles

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty

I also thought it would be a big deal, but I removed the steps from the RV (4 bolts) and I was able to see the end of the big bolt (the broken off part) and thread it on thru the hole. While I had the steps off I sanded and repainted them. I'm not a fan of the Lippert steps and tried to get them to replace them, but they wouldn't. I have found out that they really aren't that hard to repair. I've had the step shoulder bolts break, the center gear bolt break, the center gear bolt loosen and the three small bolts that hold the motor on loosen and strip out. I've fixed them each time and it took less than 30 minutes each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to carluv
electric steps

Extended warranty covered my steps. Had the same problem, the large gear bolt sheared off. Mentioned it to my RV guy when we got back from our trip and he says he carries the parts to fix it. Says it happens all the time. So far so good with the new steps.
carluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #7

To think some people think buying an extended warranty is not worth it. I am glad that I purchased one, there are too many items on these MH that can go bad. I even purchased the coverage for my tires and any damage that a blow could cause. Glad your items are being taken care of.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to carluv
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
To think some people think buying an extended warranty is not worth it. I am glad that I purchased one, there are too many items on these MH that can go bad. I even purchased the coverage for my tires and any damage that a blow could cause. Glad your items are being taken care of.
Yes I have the tire policy also. Don't think it covers damage from a blowout, but hope never have to find out . My extended warranty lists things it covers, then at end it says it covers wear and tare items also except those listed. The list covers everything that would be a wear and tear item.
carluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #9

Those Lippert steps are notorious for sheared bolts. My bolt sheared twice the same year on a new motorhome. FR did replace the steps with the Kwikee steps. The wiring was different with the magnetic switch. All is well now.
Was thinking to replace with the manual folding steps if they break again.
Coach 350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach 350 View Post
Those Lippert steps are notorious for sheared bolts. My bolt sheared twice the same year on a new motorhome. FR did replace the steps with the Kwikee steps. The wiring was different with the magnetic switch. All is well now.
Was thinking to replace with the manual folding steps if they break again.

So, how would you get out once arrived and how would you tilt manual steps in once entered coach?

Old 09-06-2015, 04:02 PM   #11

There should have been a recall on Lippert steps. Very unsafe. Mine were replaced in the first year under warranty.

Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:24 PM   #12

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1441581770.099443.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	87974 on location at the lake, yes that's the gear hangin down, yes that's a jack stand under the steps for support!! ( I've had the whole asy off and replaced bolts, also repainted etc! I'm just tired of messing with these POS steps! )

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 09-06-2015, 09:15 PM   #13

I went to a web site the other night and discovered Lippert is no longer making these steps ( LCI now owns Kwikee). Parts are still available but the POS steps are now out of the market arena. At least that is what the web site indicated. If true it's way to late for us.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABoy View Post
So, how would you get out once arrived and how would you tilt manual steps in once entered coach?

I believe they are on trailers. Good point!
Old 09-07-2015, 07:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazymace View Post
There should have been a recall on Lippert steps. Very unsafe. Mine were replaced in the first year under warranty.

Glad Lippert doesn't have a military contract. I agree there should have been a recall.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #16

Update, I contacted lippert after you guys recommending that, they sent the dealer I use a new step asy and paid for the install, I was out of pocket nothing! $0.00 , Thanks Lippert for taking care of me and my issues I was having with these steps!!

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 11-23-2015, 11:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach 350 View Post
Glad Lippert doesn't have a military contract. I agree there should have been a recall.

If you want a chance at a recall, file a complaint on the NHTSA website. I spoke to them after my steps broke. They need to know about this problem and how large it is.

I sent them the broken bolt. If more people would complain something might get done about it.
nicholsonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:22 PM   #18

My steps broke about a month ago and they sent me a steps free of charge! I had to install it myself! Very nice people to work with '
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:25 PM   #19

I have done every possible repair to the lippert (POS) steps on my 378, finally I removed the bottom or third step all together to ease the the whole operation a bit. The bottom step was useless most times anyway as it was a half step up to the second one. Works much better and always has clearance. We use a step stool when needed
It's just a little better junk now
gronotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:39 PM   #20

Lippert has been order to recall steps.
See details here.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...eps-97972.html
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric