Old 07-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #11

The Lippert step is a piece of crap however one thing can be done to improve its life is to open the motor and replace the plastic berings with steel ball bearings.AS far as keeping the step in goes, all I do is upon arriveing at my storage dest. I place my rectangular magnet on the frame next to the door sensor, open the door and jump out. It is very simple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	6909  

Old 07-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
Lottery Non-Winner

Folks, I received a call today from Forest River's Retail Warranty Administrator. After speaking with him, I decided to give the procedure (that I posted at #9) one more time. Well, I don't know WHAT I did wrong 2 days ago, but that procedure DOES WORK!! It's a bit hokey, but running the generator, turning off the DC then exiting the RV (stairs will extend), then shutting the door (stairs will retract because generator is running and stair switch is on), then going to the generator bin to shut off the generator works. That procedure was provided by FR and I believe it can be considered an official release even though it isn't my place to say so.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #13

Ovair, the procedure they gave you is too complicated and unnessesary.Purchase A 1x2 magnet from Home depot , when you get to your storage place it on the frame next to the door sensor. The step will never deploy untill you remove the magnet.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #14
Lottery Non-Winner

Understood. I have plenty of magnets as I am a "magnet geek". But for those who don't have a nice magnet at their disposal, the procedure is little more than a normal exit. Only difference is shutting the generator off from outside the rig.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #15

I don't understand why FR would "suggest" the "start your generator" solution. The procedure I listed in the beginning of this thread works like a champ. And no gen starting and shutting down. I'll repost the procedure below:

"I use a magnet on the step sensor on the inside. Fools the steps into thinking the door is closed. The procedure that works for me is as follows:
Battery switch on
Step switch on
Door open and steps extended
Slide a magnet onto the inside sensor, retracting steps
Turn off step switch, then battery switch
Gently close door so as not to knock magnet off the sensor."

Just stay out of the way when the step is moving.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #16

Not to be pushy about this but when I arrive at my storage I park my coach next to a concrete wall so I dont want my step to deploy at all. I just place the magnet on the steel frame next to the permanent door sensor , step never even thinks about opening. I then open door , use the retracted step as a ladder for one foot then step down to the ground. I then reach in and turn off my DC, close the door and go home.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	56
ID:	6926  
Old 07-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypal View Post
Not to be pushy about this but when I arrive at my storage I park my coach next to a concrete wall so I dont want my step to deploy at all. I just place the magnet on the steel frame next to the permanent door sensor , step never even thinks about opening. I then open door , use the retracted step as a ladder for one foot then step down to the ground. I then reach in and turn off my DC, close the door and go home.
Same basic procedure, except, I don't have a wall to contend with.

Just a quick question...do you change the direction that you park your rig to "balance" the exposure to sunlight and the elements? I change the parking spot assigned to me at the secure storage lot we keep our rig at every six months or so. With that full body paint that we paid for I want to ensure that this hot Florida sun hits all sides equally. At least till we full time a year from this October!!!

Chuck
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #18

I have been very fortunate to have found a storage spot in an alley way between two 2storey storage buildings . My paint job never sees the sun.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	59
ID:	7002  
Old 08-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #19

My lippert step has now failed and we have done everything Lippert has said to repair it...it is toast. Lippert is putting up a fight as I have asked for a new step....I found out Kwikee does not make a 3 step system. So, my dealer got on FR"s butt and they are sending a new step.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:42 AM   #20

Mine is going in on Monday to get the new Lippert step repaired that was brand new last September......maybe will last for two more trips. Unreal