Old 08-12-2014, 12:01 AM   #1

Lippert Jacks, Orange Hoses

My orange retract hoses are showing the dreaded bubbles. I'm in the process of seeing whether Forest River might help me out with replacements. If not, I will purchase them myself. Removal and replacement of the hoses looks pretty straightforward. I'm wondering though whether the system will self bleed itself, or whether there is a bleeding procedure. I am figuring that I will need several litres of transmission fluid to replace what is lost in the old hoses. Has anyone done this job, or watched? Any tips would be appreciated!

leomosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:54 AM   #2

The system is suppossed to be self bleeding. Contacting Lippert directly is another approach. That is what I did with this issue on my coach. A local RV repair facility took the pictures and Lippert promptly sent a complete set of the orange hoses to them. No expense from my pocket. Good luck.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #3

If Lippert does not help you out on the hoses, they should especially if you talk about how dangerous it would be if jacks or slides deployed while under way, I would be very cautious about doing the job yourself. There are several threads on this forum about these defective lines and replacing them yourself. The one thing that comes to mind is the high pressure they are under, reportedly 1500psi. When I purchased my 2011 rig I had the dealer replace the orange lines. Lippert would not authorize replacing all, so the dealer cheaped out too. I mistakenly believed them during my pdi that all lines were replace. I found out they weren't on the shake down weekend and immediately went back to the dealership. To their credit to right a wrong the dealer called in a mobile hydraulic line mechanic and had the remaining lines replace with better quality D.O.T certified lines.
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #4

I would call Forest River first. They replaced mine out of warranty at no cost. This is a known problem caused by defective hoses furnished by the supplier.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #5

Just to add a little something I have been talking to lippert tech about the pressure switch and he said the pressure is 2170 psi. Be careful.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Just to add a little something I have been talking to lippert tech about the pressure switch and he said the pressure is 2170 psi. Be careful.
That's kind of high is it not?

170 PSI I can see, but not 2170 PSI.

And yes caution must be taken.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
That's kind of high is it not?

170 PSI I can see, but not 2170 PSI.

And yes caution must be taken.
I agree - 2170 is way too high for this rig. It must be a typo or mistake on someone's part.

Even 170 PSI is high and caution in the form of goggles etc should be taken.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #8

Even a train does not require or use that much air pressure.

Quote:
The compressor on the locomotive charges the main reservoir with air at 125–140 psi (8.6–9.7 bar; 860–970 kPa). The train brakes are released by admitting air to the train pipe through the engineer's brake valve. A fully charged brake pipe is typically 70–90 psi (4.8–6.2 bar; 480–620 kPa) for freight trains and 110 psi (7.6 bar; 760 kPa) for passenger trains. The brakes are applied when the engineer moves the brake handle to the "service" position, which causes a reduction in pressure in the train pipe. In normal braking, the pressure in the train pipe does not reduce to zero. If it does fall to zero, (e.g., because of a broken brake hose) an emergency brake application will be made.[4
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...MF5bYaq_2AwyOw

Semi's run right around 120 PSI even with air suspension.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #9

Well in the manual it says that if the system pressure falls to approximately 1500psi while driving an alarm will sound warning the driver to pull over and stop due to the levellers possibly coming down. I think what Lippert says about the 2170psi operating pressure being normal is not out of line. That's why some sort of high temp hydraulic fluid (ATF) is needed.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #10

No mistake guys, Call Lippert if you think I'm feeding wrong info. I have been having a problem with the motor not shutting off and no green light so I'v been talking to tech at Lippert to fix my problem and it takes 2170 psi to trip the pressure switch.

jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks