Old 09-10-2016, 02:25 PM   #1

Lippert power steps

Messing around the RV the other day. It's been beside the house for a few weeks, but not plugged into the 50amp plug I usually use. Temps were unusually warm...even real hot, and I didn't want the house batteries to charge or boil dry.

When I went to go inside, I opened the exterior and screen doors, reached inside to activate the house battery switch to "on", removed my magnet to signal the steps to deploy, and they deployed, but slower than usual. When they approached the extended position, I heard a relay clicking repeatedly from the area of the step motor. I then placed my magnet back in position, and the steps sensing the screen door to be closed, retracted slower than usual back to the parked position. Once again a relay clicking repeatedly from the area of the step motor.

I then started the motorhome engine, ran it for 20 minutes for the fluids and temps to get to normal operating range. During this time, the steps operated in and out at normal speed, but because of the engine noise, I couldn't hear if the relay clicking was happening.

Turned off the engine. Played with the magnet and step operation several times, and all is well.

Until this test, I hadn't really thought about the steps operating form the engine battery versus the house batteries. Makes sense though....even with the house battery switch "off" the steps still travel in and out with sensing the screen door opening and closing.

Think the engine battery was just a little low voltage until the 20 minute run?

Thanks

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:44 PM   #2

I don't think they operate from the engine battery. They are wired to the house bank with their own fuse so that they continue to work with the disconnect off.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #3

Yes, you are more than likely correct.
The steps are wired to the chassis battery so they will still work if the
coach batteries go dead or are disconnected. While your coach sits without a charger parasitic drags can cause the chassis battery to get low. You should not have a problem now.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #4

Maybe I have to crawl underneath and trace the wiring and fuse like you say. Is that for sure on all Georgetowns?

Even so, the clicking seems to indicate low voltage from batteries somewhere.

Hmmm.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
Yes, you are more than likely correct.
The steps are wired to the chassis battery so they will still work if the
coach batteries go dead or are disconnected. While your coach sits without a charger parasitic drags can cause the chassis battery to get low. You should not have a problem now.
The steps are fused (25amp inline fuse) directly off the coach batteries, not chassis battery for all GT's. If coach batteries go dead the steps will not work. With door open and coach batteries dead, actuating the emergency start switch will extend steps if the chassis battery has not also gone dead. Don't know what clicking noise is.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #6

The clicking is the motor crying for more power lol. This is just like a car battery that is low in charge n the starter just goes click click click when u try to start it .
Old 09-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #7

This might be a bit off topic, but I was wondering if anyone else has the same issue with their steps as I do.

The "turn on radio when key is off" switch on the dash, operates my steps when parked and setup. The switch in the step entrance does nothing.

Kind of makes we wonder what other "short cuts" were taken by the last owner. Turn on the map lights and the toilet flushes?

Btw, the guys at the RV dealership wouldn't believe me, till they saw it with their own eyes

2008 Georgetown 350SE TS
JohnnyMeteor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power