Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2015, 05:35 PM   #1

Lippert step failure (again)

I am having to do my second fix in two years on the lippert steps main bolt underneath the steps shearing off on my 2014 Georgetown 377 xl ts. Has anyone else had problems with these steps? What did you do to fix or replace? Did anyone contact Forest River about a problem with these steps and how did they respond? Thanks for any information anyone could share.
rparker3040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #2

We have a Berkshire and the step issue is very well known. I have had the bolt break and FR replaced my step. Many others have also. Do a search and you will find many threads on this subject. I would call FR and see how that goes but if you get no help deal with Lippert.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:39 PM   #3

Since yours is a 2014 contact either Forest River orLCI. They will replace them free of charge. Be nice and they will either pay you or a dealer to emplacement them. Happened to me twice. First time my unit was only 6 months old and the second time it was 2 1/2 years old.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:54 PM   #4

My lippert steps did the very same thing while in Niagra Falls. It was the shoulder pin that sheared off . We had a wonderful Ford dealer take the steps off the rig for us and used a step ladder to get in and out of rig until we met family two weeks later . I had ordered two bolts ... Used one and have a spare just in case . We have since bought step supports for underneath and they have solved the movement issue that causes the shoulder pin to wear. Our rig is a 2014 xl 38 ft. My husband and I fixed the steps ourselves. It was not easy but we were glad to get the $5.00 part replaced and be on our way . Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums macevoyj
macevoyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by macevoyj View Post
My lippert steps did the very same thing while in Niagra Falls. It was the shoulder pin that sheared off . We had a wonderful Ford dealer take the steps off the rig for us and used a step ladder to get in and out of rig until we met family two weeks later . I had ordered two bolts ... Used one and have a spare just in case . We have since bought step supports for underneath and they have solved the movement issue that causes the shoulder pin to wear. Our rig is a 2014 xl 38 ft. My husband and I fixed the steps ourselves. It was not easy but we were glad to get the $5.00 part replaced and be on our way . Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums macevoyj

Just a word of caution for anyone planning to replace that bolt. Make sure that you replace the bolt with a grade 8 bolt. A regular bolt will not be strong enough.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #6

I replaced the triple steps on my 337DS just a few weeks ago. Not too difficult if you are somewhat handy with tools. We did however have excessive step flex with the new steps. To remedy this we removed the new steps and ran a bead of weld on both sides of the top mounting plate and the side plate mounts where they meet, eliminating the flex.
I do have two brand new step bolts for the Lipert steps if anyone is interested.
By the way, if you do replace the step bolt with a grade 8 type bolt you will need to shim-sleeve the hole in the large gear plate to compensate the diameter difference of the two bolts.
Best of luck!
Marvlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #7
padcarroll

I bought a used 2014 Legacy and the Lippert step bolt broke within 2 days. We wired the step up and took a 3 week trip. Upon return, we returned the the dealer to have the step replaced. After 7 weeks waiting, Lippert provided a newly designed step for the dealer to replace for no charge.
padcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #8

I have the same problem on my 2015 Mirada 29DS, The main bolt broke after 3 months and I've waited 7 weeks so far, But they say they will be replacing the step this Monday?
LaVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:40 PM   #9

Had the bold break on steps after 3 months got coach from lazey days live in nj tried to get fixed at CW said I would have to drop off and would get to it I asked when so I got a shoulder bolt. From mc masters fixed it my self not that hard to do the best way to do it. Is take the 4 bolts that hold the whole unit on to the frame this way your not working upside down on your back there is a wire clip that un plugs from the step control also a number 12 green ground wire that is not part of the wire harness I just cut that just make sure U put back together once. You get the step out ther is a small spot weld on the broken bold just use a cold chisel to breat it off also use. The chisel to work the broken part of the. Bolt out now. Your good to go there is a lot of washers spacers that hold the motor in take a picture with your phone so you can get back together also work in a place if something fall it's not lost job should take 2 to 3 hours hardest job getting broken bolt out.dont keep motor home at home if anybody wants bold number I can look next time I check on motor home have X tra bold in. Unit
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:36 AM   #10

Hey marvlab! Are the bolt you have the shoulder bolt with 1// thread on the end?
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #11

I made a typo. Was the bolt a shoulder bolt with a 1/2" thread?
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:09 PM   #12

Yes
I'll try and post photos when I can figure out how!😠
Old 11-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #13

Yes one inch
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:39 PM   #14

gmann55, I'm still not able to figure out how to post a photo of the bolts to this reply.
I measured the bolts and they are approx. 3 5/8" total length. Thread diameter is 1/2", threaded length is 3/4". Non-threaded diameter is 5/8" by 2 1/2" from head of bolt.
Hope this helps
Old 11-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Just a word of caution for anyone planning to replace that bolt. Make sure that you replace the bolt with a grade 8 bolt. A regular bolt will not be strong enough.

I agree. You need to make sure you are using a quality bolt. Beware of counterfeit bolts which will have incorrect markings. Buy only from a quality bolt retailer.

Good luck.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:22 PM   #16

I believe it is the 1/2 . I contacted lippert directly and ordered the correct shoulder bolt . We used a recommended lock tight 414 which we did per their directions for installation .
macevoyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #17

VERY COMMON ISSUE! not FR issue most MH's use the same similar steps so they all have the same issues, Just call FR and get it back to them for replacement.
Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:51 AM   #18

I had the same issue with the shoulder bolt shearing off. I called LCI and they shipped me a new set of Kwikee power steps for free. This was on a 2013 MH. All they required was a picture of the broken bolt.
Greg_Travels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #19

The Dealer came to my place yesterday and brought a new Kwikee Step instead of the Lippert step, They said this was the replacement, I'm Glad I didn't get another Lippert, I've have Kwikee before with no problems
LaVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #20

Arrow

Had the same issue while in Florida last week. Bolt broke and fell out when I stepped out of the Motorhome. Took a header but not hurt. I installed the steps in July, so 4 month old steps fail, not good. I took the MH to Sanders RV sales/repair in Alachua, FL. Cost $152.40 to have the bolt changed out. The weld is why the labor cost was so high. The tech had to grind the weld out. I contacted Lippertt yesterday about a new set of steps and reimbursement for the repair. We will see what happens.
Bob

2001 Georgetown 346S
CHF, Roadmaster Stabilizer
5 Star Tuner, Ultra RV Trac Bar
Bob G is offline   Reply With Quote