Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2016, 06:34 PM   #1

Lippert step recall notice

Did anybody besides me get a recall notice on the Lippert step problems? According to the letter, the center bolt of the fan gear assembly may cause the fan gear to disengage from the step.

The bolt on mine sheered off last year. I wonder if this is the same issue or a different one? The dealer replaced the bolt and said it has happened to several coaches. They speculated it was because the bolt was welded in place which caused the metal to become brittle. Now I wonder.

Anybody get a letter like this?
swlovett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:23 PM   #2

Step Replacement

I got the recall letter and information after my steps were already replaced. Lippert sent me a new set of Kwikee steps in February at no charge to me and they paid the shipping.
rparker3040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparker3040 View Post
I got the recall letter and information after my steps were already replaced. Lippert sent me a new set of Kiwee steps in February at no charge to me and they paid the shipping.

I had new Kwikee steps installed 2 years ago under warranty. Can't believe all they're doing is replacing the bolt. Doomed to fail I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:32 AM   #4

[QUOTE=Krazymace;1155533]I had new Kwikee steps installed 2 years ago under warranty. Can't believe all they're doing is replacing the bolt. Doomed to fail I believe.

It's not a bolt replacement. I have the modification kit installation drawing with documentation and it appears that the mod will not prevent a bolt breakage but it will possibly prevent step collapse under foot if the bolt does break.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #5

[QUOTE=bubbles;1155763]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazymace View Post
I had new Kwikee steps installed 2 years ago under warranty. Can't believe all they're doing is replacing the bolt. Doomed to fail I believe.

It's not a bolt replacement. I have the modification kit installation drawing with documentation and it appears that the mod will not prevent a bolt breakage but it will possibly prevent step collapse under foot if the bolt does break.

That's good. When mine broke, I ended up on my concrete driveway. This recall should have happened long ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #6

Our unit has the recall also for steps. Last summer I was stepping out of the unit and they collapsed and I clipped the back,of my heel and fell forward. I replaced the bolt myself. But will still have them do thr recall. I agree known problems should be addressed quickly
Wolfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:49 PM   #7
Georgetown 280

We had to have the step repaired last year, our dealer said it wasn't covered under warranty and charged for the repair. We have received the recall and will make sure to get reimbursement. They seem to be having trouble with FR in scheduling delivery of new units and matching to the ability to get the rig into the dealer.
MikeFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:39 PM   #8

Mine is broke, and I fell and injured my left knee. FR said mine wasn't covered. I have not been able to fix mine as of yet.
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #9

I have Lippert model 128980 steps on my 2014 Coachmen Encounter and I had the recall notice kit installed. The kit does 2 things: 1) it replaces the fan gear bolt that brakes. I assume it is a better bolt strength; 2) it installs a steel plate that provides support to the head of the fan gear bolt. In my opinion this is a very good fix and my advice would be to get it done ASAP. If you google the following phrase it will take you to the site that explains how to get the recall done: https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...recall-faq.pdf
GlennFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge2283 View Post
Mine is broke, and I fell and injured my left knee. FR said mine wasn't covered. I have not been able to fix mine as of yet.
Wasn't covered under warranty or not covered under recall? What year and coach do you have? The bolt is still available even from some members on this site.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennFC View Post
I have Lippert model 128980 steps on my 2014 Coachmen Encounter and I had the recall notice kit installed. The kit does 2 things: 1) it replaces the fan gear bolt that brakes. I assume it is a better bolt strength; 2) it installs a steel plate that provides support to the head of the fan gear bolt. In my opinion this is a very good fix and my advice would be to get it done ASAP. If you google the following phrase it will take you to the site that explains how to get the recall done: https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...recall-faq.pdf
It is apparently different for which steps are installed (my model is different). Mine calls for the support plate and replaces the turn buckle type rod to the lower steps. No new bolt. The instructions allocate a half hour for install.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #12

My coach is a 2014 Coachmen Encounter. The recall kit was covered by Lippert's recall, not by Forest River's warranty. They provide the parts in the kit for free and ship it to the dealer for installation and pay the dealer to install it.
GlennFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:50 PM   #13

Just bought it, a 2007 Georgetown XL 378.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge2283 View Post
Just bought it, a 2007 Georgetown XL 378.
I believe the recall covers 2007 378XL's but not sure if there is an original ownership issue. Seems like yours should still be covered. It is a Lippert recall, coordinated by Forestriver. I'm pretty sure the step model number on your unit (if Lippert) is on the recall list. There is a white tag affixed to the underside of the steps that has the model number/serial number etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0643.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	104203  
Old 04-07-2016, 05:36 PM   #15

Thank you for the photo. I will check as soon as I can.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:17 PM   #16

My bold broke before the first payment 013 berk bunk house fixed it myself think it was global warming
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
My bold broke before the first payment 013 berk bunk house fixed it myself think it was global warming
I think that's what Lippert was claiming.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:53 AM   #18

Sent me new steps and they paid the service center to install them. All good.

Bill Flynn
378 Georgetown
paperbbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:35 AM   #19

Recall on lippert steps

Yes it center bolt , my has been shop a over month waiting on parts . They will not give you new step. I have this issue from day one from new coach, it broken 5 to 6 times . So good luck .
ck101999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #20

not sure but my single step might not be covered, got the recall notice, but went out day before yesterday and it isn't working, I can hear the mechanism moving but step is not, so I am going to have to build up the strength to crawl under there to see what is wrong, really loving all the problems
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall