Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #1

Lippert steps

Just finished replacing my lippert steps
I bought my coach in May 2013 a 2013 Georgetown XL 378

Called lippert last week and told them the center pivot bolt that hold the half moon gear sheared off. The rep told me to take it to a dealer to have the bolt replaced. After having the steps looked at the repair shop said the bolt is welded in place and can not be replace. And in addition the bushing holding the bolt was wore beyond repair. After contacting lippert they then shipped a whole new step assembly. They also said to throw the old steps away that they did not want them back.
I had also contacted Forest River in the mean time and they said they would have sent me a set of Kwikee steps had I called them first because they are not using lippert steps anymore and replacing all problem lippert step with Kwikee steps from now on.
I wish I would have called them first.

Anybody having and issue or if their lippert steps are making noise to contact Forest River to have them replace if they are still under warranty.

I am still loving my coach and Forest River has great customer service. The rep at Forest River said if I have any issues with the replacement steps to call back and they will ship Kwikee steps pronto
Thanks Forest River
Old 09-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
Just finished replacing my lippert steps
I bought my coach in May 2013 a 2013 Georgetown XL 378

Called lippert last week and told them the center pivot bolt that hold the half moon gear sheared off. The rep told me to take it to a dealer to have the bolt replaced. After having the steps looked at the repair shop said the bolt is welded in place and can not be replace. And in addition the bushing holding the bolt was wore beyond repair. After contacting lippert they then shipped a whole new step assembly. They also said to throw the old steps away that they did not want them back.
I had also contacted Forest River in the mean time and they said they would have sent me a set of Kwikee steps had I called them first because they are not using lippert steps anymore and replacing all problem lippert step with Kwikee steps from now on.
I wish I would have called them first.

Anybody having and issue or if their lippert steps are making noise to contact Forest River to have them replace if they are still under warranty.

I am still loving my coach and Forest River has great customer service. The rep at Forest River said if I have any issues with the replacement steps to call back and they will ship Kwikee steps pronto
Thanks Forest River
As you have have read the Lippert steps have had problems. Lots. If you have a choice I would ask for the Kwikee steps to replace the Lippert ones.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
NELA

While ours is a TT, the bolts on our steps are already *badly* rusted, and we've only had it about 3 months.

Another issue to add to the power tongue/hitch and the day/nite problem when we take it in.

Oh and speaking of tongue...there was a big rust spot on that when the trailer was less than a month old...was supposed to be addressed when we took it in a month ago. Wasn't.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
ARLO

Lippert steps

The steps on our 829fkss Flagstaff are junk. I ended up drilling all of the pop rivets out and replaced them with grade 8 bolts, washers and lock nuts.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Same here---------------

Replaced all of the HUCK-RIVETS in my steps also with stainless bolts and locking nuts. Had two of the rivets to wear through and come apart.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
The steps on our 829fkss Flagstaff are junk. I ended up drilling all of the pop rivets out and replaced them with grade 8 bolts, washers and lock nuts.
Sounds about right, we have a 30wfkss vlite. Pop rivets on front steps have all been replaced.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
ARLO

Steps

I would have preferred Shoulder bolts but could not find any that were right.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #8

FR will replace it with the kwikee step. Same thing happened to me and I called FR directly and they understand the lippert step is junk.
MGOBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #9

the rear steps on my rockwood TT 8319 are falling apart those that don't gets used much we use the front steps going into the kitchen. I've already had to replace one rivet with a bolt and nut the other one is about to break.

https://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #10

Angry Lippert Steps

Yeah I have that same problem on my 2014 Georgetown. The Lippert Steps sheared the main bolt. Its been approximately 5 weeks of not having steps and actually no use of my RV. I finally got the warranty divison last Wednesday who agreed to send a new set of steps to the local authorized warrranty service shop. As of today, no steps. I refused to go anywhere in the RV and have to hop in and out of the darn thing. This has been a very frustrating experience.
wilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #11

Lippert warranty

I called Lippert directly and complained about their steps and that it would take too much to replace the center bolt because it was welded in place. They shipped me a new set of steps. No questions asked. I received them within a week and installed them myself. My local dealer would have taken 3 weeks to install them after a long wait to bring it in. I feel your frustration.
I also called Forest River directly and someone in the warranty division said "had I called them first they would have shipped me a set of Kwikee steps immediately.
Have you tried call FR directly or have your dealer that you purchased your coach from call them for you?
Old 09-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I had my Lippert steps replaced with new Kwikee steps at the Frog rally. I had already had the centre shoulder bolt on the lippert brake off twice. Our coach is is a 2012 but next to us Forest River replaced the steps on a 1999 Georgetown.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
Retired US Army CW4

I recently had two bolts shear off on my LCI steps. I checked the remaining bolts and found two more that looked like they were also ready to fail. I removed the suspect bolts and found that the washers had flattened out and had actually worn through the metal in spots (sorry the pic is blurry...cell phone). I called Forest River and they had me schedule an appointment with the dealer to remove the LCI's and replace with Kwikee's. Dropped it off on Tuesday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Washer.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	39985  
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #14

Our 2012 George Town XL 360 sheared the shoulder bolt on the steps and almosted landed me on my arse ! I took it to the dealer and asked about changing out the steps like I have read here. They claim they never heard of that but would check with Forest River. That was 3 weeks ago and still no response from Forest River.

2013 Can Am Maverick
Glamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #15
Retired US Army CW4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamping View Post
Our 2012 George Town XL 360 sheared the shoulder bolt on the steps and almosted landed me on my arse ! I took it to the dealer and asked about changing out the steps like I have read here. They claim they never heard of that but would check with Forest River. That was 3 weeks ago and still no response from Forest River.
I would contact the Forest River Service and Warranty department and see if the dealer actually called them. When I called they were fully aware of the problems with the LCI steps. They even sent me an email to take to the dealer stating they would cover the cost of replacement with Kwikee steps and included a name and direct number at Forest River for the dealer to call if they had any questions. My experience with Forest River customer service has been very good. They return calls and emails almost immediately and are genuinely concerned about solving any problems owners have.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #16
Retired US Army CW4

A quick follow up. I took my motorhome into the dealer last Wednesday. They requested authorization to replace the steps from Forest River and received it this morning. Motorhome will be ready to pick up later this week.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #17

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Kat View Post
I would contact the Forest River Service and Warranty department and see if the dealer actually called them. When I called they were fully aware of the problems with the LCI steps. They even sent me an email to take to the dealer stating they would cover the cost of replacement with Kwikee steps and included a name and direct number at Forest River for the dealer to call if they had any questions. My experience with Forest River customer service has been very good. They return calls and emails almost immediately and are genuinely concerned about solving any problems owners have.
I would sure welcome their number(s) at Customer Service. Seems to be a big secret with F.R. I also currently have a set of the Lippert manual steps needing repairs. Scheduled for next week, but would welcome a change out of the steps to another brand. Thanks for any assistance.
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #18
Retired US Army CW4

Quote:
Originally Posted by l001952119 View Post
I would sure welcome their number(s) at Customer Service. Seems to be a big secret with F.R. I also currently have a set of the Lippert manual steps needing repairs. Scheduled for next week, but would welcome a change out of the steps to another brand. Thanks for any assistance.
Try Steven Strombough in service/warranty at 574-206-7611. He knows all about LCI products.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #19

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Kat View Post
Try Steven Strombough in service/warranty at 574-206-7611. He knows all about LCI products.
Thanks Tom & Kat. Will let you know the outcome.
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #20

Is this isolated to newer coaches..my 2008 Georgetown 374 steps failed totally..out position...had to bungee cord up as well as possible and drive 7 miles to rv repairs....

George
ynott96 is offline   Reply With Quote