Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 01:03 AM   #1

Locked out / in our Georgetown 378XL

My wife and I are in a predicament. Our door to our 2012 Georgetown 378XL is stuck shut because the door mechanism internally broke. We are currently camping with the rig in FL, and really frustrated. I could not get back in the rig after we stepped out to visit a neighboring site, so the door was not locked. When we came back from the visit, the door would not open. The handle felt really loose, where it is usually stiff. After fiddling with it for a couple minutes, we borrowed a neighbors step ladder and climbed in through the drivers side window (luckily I didn't lock it this morning). I was able to remove the front of the door handle housing from inside the coach (removed 3 screws). I found that a piece of flat metal that basically extends from the handle through the door jam was broke in half. Problem is that it is still in the door jamb, and will not come loose leaving us closed inside of the rig unable to get out unless through a window. I pulled, pried and tried everything to get that piece out of the jamb, but I can't, and it is keeping me from being able to open the door. I saw a post on here from 2014, where someone had the very same thing happen to them. They needed a locksmith who drilled from the outside while he drilled from the inside to get it to where he could open the door. Anyone know where I would do this drilling to where I will not destroy any more than I have to??? I understand I am looking at replacing the whole door handle mechanism, but don't want to do any more damage than that. I also saw in that post from 2014 that there was a recall on the door mechanism, and I am betting the first owner of this rig did not take care of the recall... Thanks in advance.
Pitroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:27 AM   #2

Boy you are in a pickle. Its hard for anyone even those familiar with your coach to give good advice with some pictures. Your best bet may be to call a locksmith or local RV repair shop that has dealt with they situation before.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I agree with SeaDog, many of these R/V locks are different and it would be tough to tell you exactly where to drill. The suggestions of a locksmith or mobile R/V service are about the best for you.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:58 PM   #4

Trying to add a few pics
Old 02-25-2018, 10:03 PM   #5

Was just going to say the same thing. Post some pictures and there's a good chance I could give some advice on opening it.
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:09 PM   #6

Got out

You can see the plunger here finally, LOL. I got it out but it wasn't easy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	handle 2.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	163437  
Old 02-25-2018, 10:23 PM   #7

Another Pic... This was the only thing we could do to get to the plunger, you can see the broken piece of the plunger. In the earlier pic you can see the plunger, but that is after I pulled it out that far from the outside of the coach. You could not see it before I made access from the outside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	handle.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	163442   Click image for larger version

Name:	handle3.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	163443  
Old 02-25-2018, 10:29 PM   #8

A locksmith came out, but could not figure out what to do, she could not get the door open or the door latch mechanism fixed. She left after an hour without charging me (on a Sunday). A couple creative campers and myself spent a few hours with a dremel tool and cordless drill.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:31 PM   #9

Last pic of my mess
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	handle4.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	163448  
Old 02-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #10

Had same problem 2 weeks ago had to use big screwdriver on out side and bust it out .put in a different latch lot better,I hope. Called fr ,they acted like : tough dodo: did not care, we are an older couple and cannot crawl out a window. I am turning it into the NTSB. I think all mh should have 2 doors for safety.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
rwehba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

rwehba.....

Trying to convince the NTSB they should concern themselves with your RV issues is a waste of time. RV units don’t come under the same guidelines.

They don’t have safety recalls like the automotive world either. Couple of points....

Even the newest, more expensive Class A diesel units don’t have air bags. The cheapest entry level cars have about ten of them these days. Class A, B, C units sometimes have side positioned seats with lap belts only. LAP BELTS! There’s not a car/SUV/pickup set up like that. The law may say you have to wear a seatbelt.....nowhere does it say it has to be survivable.

Two doors on a motorhome.....probably not gonna happen. Only a very few travel trailers come with two doors. Toy haulers sometimes.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:53 PM   #12

Thank goodness we have 2 doors on our TT.
Glad you got it, perseverance and helpful fellow campers pay off.
2015 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 L 4:10
2016 Rockwood 2616 VS
pd2436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:36 PM   #13
Steelhorzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitroes View Post
My wife and I are in a predicament. Our door to our 2012 Georgetown 378XL is stuck shut because the door mechanism internally broke. We are currently camping with the rig in FL, and really frustrated. I could not get back in the rig after we stepped out to visit a neighboring site, so the door was not locked. When we came back from the visit, the door would not open. The handle felt really loose, where it is usually stiff. After fiddling with it for a couple minutes, we borrowed a neighbors step ladder and climbed in through the drivers side window (luckily I didn't lock it this morning). I was able to remove the front of the door handle housing from inside the coach (removed 3 screws). I found that a piece of flat metal that basically extends from the handle through the door jam was broke in half. Problem is that it is still in the door jamb, and will not come loose leaving us closed inside of the rig unable to get out unless through a window. I pulled, pried and tried everything to get that piece out of the jamb, but I can't, and it is keeping me from being able to open the door. I saw a post on here from 2014, where someone had the very same thing happen to them. They needed a locksmith who drilled from the outside while he drilled from the inside to get it to where he could open the door. Anyone know where I would do this drilling to where I will not destroy any more than I have to??? I understand I am looking at replacing the whole door handle mechanism, but don't want to do any more damage than that. I also saw in that post from 2014 that there was a recall on the door mechanism, and I am betting the first owner of this rig did not take care of the recall... Thanks in advance.
Same thing happened to me the night before we were leaving on a trip. Could not get back in our RV. Called the lock manufacturer the next morning. After I explained what happened they asked for my email and sent me a diagram on the lock and where to drill out to open it. It happened so quick I'm SURE this is a known problem.

I did what was shown, removed the broken piece, opened the door and removed the lock assembly. Down to the dealer and replaced the broken lock with the "new" design!!
(I was told that by the dealer).

Afterwards I checked for recalls. Seems like the only one was for Winnebago years ago. They were probably pressured into it by their customers..

In my opinion, this company has "skated" on this issue!!
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:56 PM   #14

Yuck

What a mess! 😡. No solution only a suggestion (too late). My door was always hard to open unless I applied a good deal of pressure by pushing on from the outside. Seems there was a lot of push against the striker by door.
Good luck🤔
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitroes View Post

It also happened to us slept in car all night you need to get a hammer screwdriver and a pair of pliers and break the square piece that houses the mechanism to slide the latch back try not to go too far in just enough to break the Square area reach in and slide the mechanism back you will still be Able to lock coach with deadbolt until you get a new lock
minnesota65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:06 PM   #16

Broken plunger in door

I drilled several holes thru the part holding plunger after removing inside plate and used smalls sc rewdrivers to pry and pull back the plunger, removed broken plunger, reassembled lock back together then used deadbolt to hold door shut.The lock manufacturer did not have a replacement plunger but did sell and send a new lock with the amount of extra keys I asked for arriving timely and worked the first time in my driveway under my quality control standard and when it was time to get a refreshment I did not have to spend mygas money to pay for it which made it a nice refreshment. I did have to pay for it but knew the cost which if I remember right was reasonable. With the new frameless windows it will not be that easy for everyone.
overeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:25 AM   #17

Yours looks like a Trimark. Lots of problems with them. (Quite a few threads on the Forum.) There is an active recall on several of their models. Unfortunately mine wasn’t one of them. I had three fail in a three year period on the 2015 GT I just traded in. Learned to keep driver’s window unlocked and have a screwdriver inside. The last and final time, I was able to remove the broken piece and get it working until I could replace it. Be sure to file a complaint with the NTSB. In an emergency, this problem could be fatal!
Old 02-27-2018, 09:10 AM   #18

One of the main reasons a lock malfunctions is the lack of lubrication. I highly recommend spraying all locks and latches twice a year. This is also very important on your car door locks. A good lubricant that I have been using for 32 years is Tri-Flow.
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
378xl, georgetown, lock