Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #1

Locking gas cap?

I was just wondering if anyone has installed a locking gas cap on their newer Georgetowns?
Is it a stand Ford one vented or non-vented?

Just curious as the price of gas goes up the chances are better in getting fuel stolen in storage area.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #2

Hey Iggy,

I think you will get varied opinions on this one. I haven't put a locking cap on mine, yet. In some ways I think it is better to let them siphon some gas rather than drill or punch a hole in my tank or tap into the main hose. The tank is very easy to access underneath the rig so it's easy to see that if someone wanted it bad enough there is no telling what they would do to get it. Then there is the law of large numbers - if your rig is stored at a "secure" facility with 400+ other rigs - what are the odds yours will get hit?
I have a locking gas cap on my toad - so go figure!
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I bought one a few years back and it's the same as the one used on the F550 Trucks.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I bought one a few years back and it's the same as the one used on the F550 Trucks.
Thanks. If I buy one I will walk in with my old one to make sure I get the correct one.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Thanks. If I buy one I will walk in with my old one to make sure I get the correct one.
That's what I did. Actually I need another one, left mine at the Gas Station up the road from my house and didn't realize it for quite a while.
They keep them for about 2 weeks and then throw them out. I have my original on there currently.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Popes View Post
Hey Iggy,

I think you will get varied opinions on this one. I haven't put a locking cap on mine, yet. In some ways I think it is better to let them siphon some gas rather than drill or punch a hole in my tank or tap into the main hose. The tank is very easy to access underneath the rig so it's easy to see that if someone wanted it bad enough there is no telling what they would do to get it. Then there is the law of large numbers - if your rig is stored at a "secure" facility with 400+ other rigs - what are the odds yours will get hit?
I have a locking gas cap on my toad - so go figure!
I agree! A locking gas tank cap cost me over $300 on a Mustang. Thieves punched a hole in the gas tank to get the fuel. The tank had to be removed, vented, welded and re-installed. I'd rather loose a couple of hundred in fuel than repair a tank. Just something else to think about!
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote