Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #1

Looking at 2004 325SE

Hi, I am new to the forum and this would actually be my first motorhome, although I have owned a small 5th wheel for a few years. I have zeroed in on a 2004 Georgetown 325SE that appears to be in superb shape. Very low miles (less than 15,000) and stored under cover when not in use.
Although I have not yet seen the MH in person I have determined from photos and questions to the dealer that there is no rust, delamination, smells, leaks or any other issues. The paint and decals are sharp and no cracking.
One concern that I have is that my research indicates the ceiling height is 78 inches, which appears to be an inch or two lower than normal. I'm not a tall person but my concern is that the lower ceiling height might cause the motorhome to seem claustrophobic. Any comments about that?
And in general, is there anything I should be looking for or worried about with this year and model?
I have to travel quite a distance to look at it and don't want to waste my time.
Thanks in advance!
EastCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Anacortesians

We have an '02 GT 325S. I'd suggest a careful look at the blade seals on both slides, as they have a tendency to roll over and also at the bulb seals on the interior walls that the slides push against when they're fully open. The adhesive FR used back then tends to let go as it ages. The blade seal issue is easily fixed with a dry-lube like graphite or moly. Peeling seals can easily be fixed with 3M weatherstipping adhesive. The risk is that they may have been deformed or peeling for a while. If the rig is on the dealer's lot with the slides deployed, the upper blade seals could have been letting water in for some time.

We had rainwater in the overhead cabinets in the living room slide because of the blade seal problem. We got a mold infestation in the woodwork and I had to build and install replacement cabinets.

Based on our rig, my only complaint is the less than stellar quality of the cabinetry. I'm 5' 10" and don't notice the ceiling height as a problem.

Of course, check the age of the tires. Ours had 12,000 miles on it when we bought it in July '10. The tires were Goodyears and were the originals for the '01 chassis, and were dated in 2000. We changed them after just a brief shakedown trip.

Be ready for a ride quality that reflects its truck heritage. This is normal with the F53. It is an 11-ton truck, after all. We've decided to spend money on gas and CG fees rather than trying to make it ride like a Rolls Royce. The old proverb about silk purses and sow's ears applies.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #3

Thanks for the info Frank. I had actually read of your troubles when I searched the forum.
I guess if you still like the motor home after all of that then that says something!
EastCoast is offline   Reply With Quote