Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 02:31 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to SimoRandy
Lost battery and generator power to fridge

Campground had a power loss the other night but my Surge Guard kicked in right after I heard a buzzing noise from what may have been the rear electrical area. I checked the protector and the message said one line, on my 50 amp service, had low voltage at <90 volts. About 30 minutes later the entire campground went dead for about another hour.

It was cold so I started up the generator and everything seemed fine except for the fridge did not power up. I made sure the battery disconnect was on and it was. Today I disconnected land power and found all breakers and fuses were good. I started up the engine and the fridge still didn't come on.

Any ides where and what to look for?

2026 G-Town XL 369

Randy & the Dogs
RV'rs as of 2015
G-town XL 369 w/ wrangler hanging on the back!
Old 01-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
Senior Member - Retired

Not sure what year your GT is, I will assume it is only a couple of years old and has a residential refrigerator. If you do not have a residential refrigerator then my suggestions will likely be of little use to you - sorry.

Generator not powering refrigerator - Check your generator compartment and look for two output circuit breakers from the generator - may actually be on the generator itself. There is a separate breaker for each "side" of your 50 amp service. One breaker may be tripped resulting in your power issue with the refrigerator.

Refrigerator not running when engine started - Are you sure the inverter is on converting 12 volt to 120 volt (from the batteries dedicated to the inverter) to power the refrigerator?
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #3

Thank you. Correct that it is newer, 2016 model. (Updated my signature).

The generator, and inverter, breakers and fuses were ok. Really stumped on this one. Also surprised my investment in the Surge Guard protector failed me!

Randy & the Dogs
RV'rs as of 2015
2016 G-town XL 369 w/ wrangler hanging on the back!
Old 01-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #4

Good news is I found the solution in another topic!

Bad news is I'm not so smart.

I found the answer in another post. The inventor button, right by the battery disconnect in the panel, was off! Sometimes it's the simple things and not serious like I thought. Thank goodness for this forum!

Randy & the Dogs
RV'rs as of 2015
2016 G-town XL 369 w/ wrangler hanging on the back!
Old 01-09-2017, 04:34 PM   #5

"Refrigerator not running when engine started - Are you sure the inverter is on converting 12 volt to 120 volt (from the batteries dedicated to the inverter) to power the refrigerator?"

CA may have this one...your refrigerator is connected to the transfer which IS PLUGGED INTO THE CONVERTERS GFI, I'll bet the GFI tripped on the converter. My converter is located above the propane behind a panel...378XL
The Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #6

Same problem but more...

Upon waking this morning, not only was my fridge not working, but also the microwave, LR TV, fireplace, and front passenger side outlet. However outlet next to microwave and lights over sink work. After reading Simo Randy's post, I pressed the I/0 button on the Prowatt SW (is that the inverter?! I can see no where in any documentation what that panel is for) to the on position and the fridge went on but the TV, microwave, fireplace and passenger outlets are not getting power. I have a 2016 369XL. I'm living with my daughter for the winter in LA. I'm a single mom who is not an electrician but with good directions I can figure things out. Thing is, good directions or manuals for how this all works don't seem to exist. I am grateful for this forum. Thanks!
marits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
Site Team

Check to see if your GFCI is tripped. Should at least be one in bathroom, maybe one more. Push reset to test.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marits View Post
Upon waking this morning, not only was my fridge not working, but also the microwave, LR TV, fireplace, and front passenger side outlet. However outlet next to microwave and lights over sink work. After reading Simo Randy's post, I pressed the I/0 button on the Prowatt SW (is that the inverter?! I can see no where in any documentation what that panel is for) to the on position and the fridge went on but the TV, microwave, fireplace and passenger outlets are not getting power. I have a 2016 369XL. I'm living with my daughter for the winter in LA. I'm a single mom who is not an electrician but with good directions I can figure things out. Thing is, good directions or manuals for how this all works don't seem to exist. I am grateful for this forum. Thanks!
Check your breaker box...it sounds like you might have tripped one of the two 50amp breakers which would control one side of the outlets in the coach. The breaker box should be under the closet where the Washer/Dryer is located in the bedroom.

I assume you are on shore power. If you are running the generator, you should also check the breakers On The Generator(there are two of them).
Old 01-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #9

I am on shore power. I found one GFI outlet and it was on. I tested and reset it. Problem still exists. I had checked the breaker box. I reset the main breaker. Problem still exists. Any other ideas? Thank you.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #10

Quote:
I am on shore power. I found one GFI outlet and it was on. I tested and reset it. Problem still exists. I had checked the breaker box. I reset the main breaker. Problem still exists. Any other ideas? Thank you.
It sounds like you may have lost one side of the power supply. Have you tried disconnecting from the Shore power and starting the generator, to see if the things that are not on will turn on then? if so, It could be an issue at the power pole.

If the issue still exists with the generator, then you know the issue is somewhere "inside" the coach.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:24 PM   #11

I disconnected from shore power and turned on the generator and everything works fine. I'm heading over to the office right now. Unusual electrical storms in LA...
Thank you all so much for your help!
Old 01-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #12

Yes thank you! I disconnected from shore power, started the generator and everything works fine. I'm heading over to the office now... Thank you all so much!
Old 01-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #13

Sorry for double thanks posting. I didn't see "page 2".
Office owner suggests that it is not the power supply, that it is a problem with the converter. He gave me the name of a RV mobile service repair person. Is that possible?
When I first parked, I used a lovely voltage regulator. These same electrical units in the RV would not power up. When I unplugged the voltage regulator and plugged directly into shore power, as the park owner suggested, they powered up fine. So I haven't been using the regulator for a month now with no problem. But now they won't power up, except the fridge when I pressed the I/O Powerwatt SW button. What is that anyway? I don't see any information anywhere about that panel. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:57 PM   #14

The Powerwatt I/O button is the on off for the inverter that powers the reefer when there is no AC power available. So...you are now running of of batteries. The Powerwatt also has a transfer switch that will drop the inverter and pick up an AC source (shore power or generator) when available. You indicate that when you run the generator the reefer runs and that was presumably when the Powerwatt was off, so at least the generator and its own transfer switch works, as well as the Powerwatt transfer switch.

If the reefer runs with the inverter off from the generator, then it should run from shore power. If it doesn't, you have a problem with your main generator/shore power transfer switch. If it does, you have no problem at all.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Sorry for double thanks posting. I didn't see "page 2".
Office owner suggests that it is not the power supply, that it is a problem with the converter. He gave me the name of a RV mobile service repair person. Is that possible?
When I first parked, I used a lovely voltage regulator. These same electrical units in the RV would not power up. When I unplugged the voltage regulator and plugged directly into shore power, as the park owner suggested, they powered up fine. So I haven't been using the regulator for a month now with no problem. But now they won't power up, except the fridge when I pressed the I/O Powerwatt SW button. What is that anyway? I don't see any information anywhere about that panel. Thank you.
When you press the IO Powerwatt SW button, you are turning on the inverter which runs the Refrigerator when there is no shore power. it is powered by the batteries in the coach.

IMO, if it were the converter, you would have the same results when you start the generator, since it also powers the coach via the converter, but that is JUST MY OPINION.

Do you have the option to try plugging into another nearby pole to see if you get power?

Finally, you should invest in a Surge Protector that can also tell you if the power supply is good.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post

If the reefer runs with the inverter off from the generator, then it should run from shore power. If it doesn't, you have a problem with your main generator/shore power transfer switch. If it does, you have no problem at all.
Scott,

Seems like if it were the transfer switch, she would not have ANY power when the Generator & Inverter were turned off.

I had that switch go bad when I first got my coach....without the generator, the coach was DOA.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #17

You guys are awesome. I'm grateful! The owner did now just have a guy check the power supply and it is defective. Thank you! I'm so glad I didn't have to pay for the repair guy. I am also very happy to now understand the Powerwatt S/W. Wish they would've put that in their operators manual. Everything is working well. Now if I could just get the blinds back in their brackets behind the valence. But that I can live with.
And I will use my $500 voltage regulator from now on.
Peace.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbailey13 View Post
Scott,

Seems like if it were the transfer switch, she would not have ANY power when the Generator & Inverter were turned off.

I had that switch go bad when I first got my coach....without the generator, the coach was DOA.
Now, first, I am speaking about the reefer only. If it runs from the inverter and from the generator, the inverter transfer switch is working correctly. That transfer switch cannot tell the difference between the generator and shore power. To if they are both sources of 120 VAC. It sees the 120 VAC from the generator and operates correctly, so the inverter transfer switch cannot be defective as it works from the invert and 120 VAC. The only thing left, if the reefer doesn't work from shore power is the main shore power transfer switch that switches between the generator 120 VAC and the shore power 120 VAC. If plugging into a valid 120 VAC source doesn't make it to the reefer, it would be the main transfer switch.

It sounds like there was no 120 VAC coming from the shore power cable, as such, that is the problem and not the main transfer switch. That is the same as flipping off the pedestal breaker and depriving the entire coach of 120 VAC.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, fridge, generator, power