Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy

So the check valve is in the pump?
If you had a leak it seems it sould have been leaking from the valve to the low point, Hummm?
That's correct, in his case leak from shore pressure back thru the offline pump. The trickle will fiill the storage tank at Atmos pressure and slowly overfill it. Shurflo pumps have this integral check valve. The pump and shore connection tee together so either source can service the main piping system.
__________________

__________________
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 22
An update. I had the Shurflo pump replaced. Initially it appeared that the seepage into the fresh water tank had been resolved. To be sure, we installed a separate back flow preventer on the line to the water pump. However, it now appears that neither of these actions has resolved the problem. The water must be getting into the Fresh Water Tank from another source. Forest River Customer Service has been no help. They responded that this is a very strange problem and that they know of no cause other than a faulty check valve in the pump. It is obvious that there is another cause. Any ideas?

For your information - There are 4 conections to the Fresh Water Tank. One is the overflow drain at the top of the Tank. The second is a drain from the bottom. The third is the connection from the bottom to the Shurflo water pump. And the fourth is a tube into the Tank at the top, which I believe must be the Fresh Tank water supply. Forest River claims that this input has no junctions and is directly fed by a separate hookup labeled Fresh Water Tank at the water input panel. I have three separate hose hookups at the panel - City Water, Fresh Water Tank, and Black Tank Flush.
__________________

__________________
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
An update. I had the Shurflo pump replaced. Initially it appeared that the seepage into the fresh water tank had been resolved. To be sure, we installed a separate back flow preventer on the line to the water pump. However, it now appears that neither of these actions has resolved the problem. The water must be getting into the Fresh Water Tank from another source. Forest River Customer Service has been no help. They responded that this is a very strange problem and that they know of no cause other than a faulty check valve in the pump. It is obvious that there is another cause. Any ideas?

For your information - There are 4 conections to the Fresh Water Tank. One is the overflow drain at the top of the Tank. The second is a drain from the bottom. The third is the connection from the bottom to the Shurflo water pump. And the fourth is a tube into the Tank at the top, which I believe must be the Fresh Tank water supply. Forest River claims that this input has no junctions and is directly fed by a separate hookup labeled Fresh Water Tank at the water input panel. I have three separate hose hookups at the panel - City Water, Fresh Water Tank, and Black Tank Flush.
This all correct, the only other possibilty, is the tank still full? another 378 owner had problem with the full tank siphoning into the overflow whenever the liquid level surged into the connection This occured because the vent doesn't go high enough. Other than that I gotta believe you have a rain maker on there!

Besides that is it hot where the M/H is stored, just wondering if its a trickle if the tank is still full can it be condensation with the humidity coming out the vent?
__________________
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 22
I drained the Fresh Water Tank completely. Then, over a period of 4 days, while I was hooked up to City Water, water seeped into the Tank totalling approximately 2 inches from the bottom. It is very hot here. I have been camping in Phoenix and now I am near to Joshua Tree National Park.
__________________
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
I'd be interested in hearing about the solution.
Sounds impossible. I'd try and trace the direct water line in from the street. I know it is a sepeate feed to the fresh water tank but...
How much water pressure do you have? Do you have a water regulator hooked up?
Please keep us posted.

Here is a basic water system and the only way to get water into that tank is thru the water pump by back pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blkdia1.gif
Views:	49
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	17523   Click image for larger version

Name:	water.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	17524  
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I'd be interested in hearing about the solution.
Sounds impossible. I'd try and trace the direct water line in from the street. I know it is a sepeate feed to the fresh water tank but...
How much water pressure do you have? Do you have a water regulator hooked up?
Please keep us posted.

Here is a basic water system and the only way to get water into that tank is thru the water pump by back pressure.
Good diagramatic, I'm stumped too! Got an idea though, can you remove the suction, tank side of the pumps hose? Need to drain the tank again, remove suction hose and repressure city water. That will prove forever the pump is or is not leaking back.........
__________________
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,258
Maybe the city water pressure is so high that it is overwhelming the check valve? Or do you have a pressure regulator on the inlet?
There is only one way for the water to be getting into the tank, and that is past the pump.
It is an odd problem, and I have never heard anyone ever having it.
__________________
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken
Maybe the city water pressure is so high that it is overwhelming the check valve? Or do you have a pressure regulator on the inlet?
There is only one way for the water to be getting into the tank, and that is past the pump.
It is an odd problem, and I have never heard anyone ever having it.
I agree could be pressure, most use regulator, i check ahead, il pressure is low i'll leave off reg. The system can handle over 60 psi easily, the Pex pipe is built for over 160 psi at 75F and 100 psi @ 180F. Other fitting may not holdup as well. Point is most household supplys are 60-80 psi, campgrounds often less. Regulator iis optional.
You can remove pump hose and try with and w/o regulator, I suspect might have similar result. Also now you know it will take awhile to pass 25-30 gallons into your tank. Next time to dealer for other reason ask them again to fix it. They normally hold at all operating pressures.
__________________
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
Could the pump be intalled backwards?
Have you ever used only the pump and see how much pressure you have at the sink? Just a crazy thought.

I wonder if some garbage is stuck in the winterizing valve and allowing water to pass and drain into drain line.
It is easy to check out without much effort.
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 22
Iggy, thank you for the schematic of the water system. It is very helpful. Although not important, my Fresh Water Tank has an additional outlet not shown on your drawing. It is an overflow drain at the top. I decided to follow up the suggestions about the potentiality of a malfunctioning pressure regulator. So I purchased a high quality pressure regulator ($87) with adjustable settings and set it to 42 psi. However, this did not stop the seepage. So we are all still stumped. The mechanic who is helping me is located in Arizona, and I just returned home to CA. I will probably not be able to do more until my next excursion to AZ. The mechanic has promised to work on this issue until it is resolved at that time.

By the way, I have filled the Fresh Water Tank and tested the water pump. I get good pressure at the Kitchen sink (and everywhere else) so there does not seem to be anything stuck in the pipes or pump

Also, we are pretty sure that the pump cannot leak at this point because we added a back flow preventer to the system next to the pump so, even if the check valve in the pump is defective, the external back flow preventer should have stopped the seepage. And we replaced the pump so it is highly unlikely that two pumps would have had faulty check valves.
__________________

__________________
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water leak

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 PM.