Old 08-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #21

The water has to be coming from the street hookup and bleeding backward thru the pump to the fresh water tank.

Please keep us posted on any changes because this is a very interesting problem and I'm looking forwatd in hearing how it is resolved.
Thanks

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
The water has to be coming from the street hookup and bleeding backward thru the pump to the fresh water tank.

Please keep us posted on any changes because this is a very interesting problem and I'm looking forwatd in hearing how it is resolved.
Thanks
Agree with Iggy, would be great to hear whats caused this! Almost defiies physics.......

Old 08-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
Iggy, thank you for the schematic of the water system. It is very helpful. Although not important, my Fresh Water Tank has an additional outlet not shown on your drawing. It is an overflow drain at the top. I decided to follow up the suggestions about the potentiality of a malfunctioning pressure regulator. So I purchased a high quality pressure regulator ($87) with adjustable settings and set it to 42 psi. However, this did not stop the seepage. So we are all still stumped. The mechanic who is helping me is located in Arizona, and I just returned home to CA. I will probably not be able to do more until my next excursion to AZ. The mechanic has promised to work on this issue until it is resolved at that time.

By the way, I have filled the Fresh Water Tank and tested the water pump. I get good pressure at the Kitchen sink (and everywhere else) so there does not seem to be anything stuck in the pipes or pump

Also, we are pretty sure that the pump cannot leak at this point because we added a back flow preventer to the system next to the pump so, even if the check valve in the pump is defective, the external back flow preventer should have stopped the seepage. And we replaced the pump so it is highly unlikely that two pumps would have had faulty check valves.
Here's a final quote from another thread with same problem, recd. tonight.

"OK...... Here is the long of things. We have our issue solved of the water pumping into fresh water tank when on city water connection. My husband has discovered someone connected the lines wrong on the water pump. He removed the pump and turned it around and reconnected water lines and BAMMMMM. Solved. Thanks for all of your suggestions and help."

Not saying this is your problem, only it will be solved! This one involved quite a few posts and folks and steered them to it.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #24

Mmm, interesting. I will look at the pump tomorrow and ensure that it is pointed in the right direction. I will keep you all posted. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
Mmm, interesting. I will look at the pump tomorrow and ensure that it is pointed in the right direction. I will keep you all posted. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Take a picture if you can.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #26

I looked at the water pump and associated piping to ensure that the pump is connected correctly. It is. This is further verified by the fact that the pump is required to operate in order to push water from the Fresh Water Tank to the sinks, shower, and toilet. Below are two photos of the installation. The brass item (with the arrow pointing to the left) is the additional back flow preventer that we added to the system to complement the built-in pump check valve.
[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000806.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	17833[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000805.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	17832  
Old 08-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #27

If the pump and lines are installed correctly, the only way that city water can get into the fresh water tank is through the pump. I suggest that you or your mechanic unhook the water line at the far end of the backflow preventer, hook it up to city water and see if any water leaks through. If it does, then you may have both a faulty replacement pump as well as a faulty backflow preventer, as unlikely as that seems.

Have you checked whether there may be a leak between the city water line and the fresh water line, especially if they're tied together at some point?

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water leak