Old 11-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #1

LP/CO Detector question by newbie

Hi folks,

I'm new to the RV community, having just bought my first motorhome, a 2008 Georgetown 350TS. The problem I'm having is that the CO/LP detector started chirping while the RV was sitting in my back yard with the gas off. When I turn on the engine for a while, the chirping stops. I've read several posts through Google, and everyone refers to the possibility of the "RV battery" being low or possibly need replacing. When you talk about the "RV battery," does that mean the battery at the engine compartment that versus the "house" batteries? The RV starts right up, so I wonder if the battery up front is bad, but I haven't done any voltage testing. Sorry for the dumb question. I'm just picking up the lingo.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecijoe
Hi folks,

I'm new to the RV community, having just bought my first motorhome, a 2008 Georgetown 350TS. The problem I'm having is that the CO/LP detector started chirping while the RV was sitting in my back yard with the gas off. When I turn on the engine for a while, the chirping stops. I've read several posts through Google, and everyone refers to the possibility of the "RV battery" being low or possibly need replacing. When you talk about the "RV battery," does that mean the battery at the engine compartment that versus the "house" batteries? The RV starts right up, so I wonder if the battery up front is bad, but I haven't done any voltage testing. Sorry for the dumb question. I'm just picking up the lingo.
No such thing as "dumb" question. Coach battery (s) usually under the steps. Chassis battery under hood. Chassis is high current starting battery. The coach battery is long lasting Deep cycle. Totally different purposes. Have battery tested before changing.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

The alarm is probably going off because the coach batteries are low and when you turn the switch on, it connects the batteries used for starting which have a higher charge. Once you start the engine, the coach batteries also get charged.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #4

Still don't know which is the "RV battery." I'm trying to figure out which battery powers the LP/CO detector.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecijoe View Post
Still don't know which is the "RV battery." I'm trying to figure out which battery powers the LP/CO detector.
I think I understand now. The coach batteries power the LP/CO detector. Thanks, folks! I guess I'm buying some new batteries......
Old 11-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecijoe
In Georgetowns I've seen you remove inside steps to access.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

You most likely don't need new batteries; just charge up the ones you have.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
You most likely don't need new batteries; just charge up the ones you have.
X2. As VinceU said, get them tested first. Your local auto parts store can do that. Also, check the water level.

On my 2004 GT all of the batteries are under the step.

Good luck.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #9

Batteries need a good charge on them (if they will take a charge) before they can be tested properly, charge them up good before taking them in for testing or the person testing them may charge them for you if you don't have a charger (don't let anyone sell you new batteries without charging yours before testing). It is very normal for the coach batteries to go down when not in use for a while so you need a battery tender to keep them charged when not using the RV or plug into shore power an your RV's converter will take care of it (I'm pretty sure the Georgetown will have a 3 stage converter so you won't overcharge the batteries).
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #10

Thanks, all. I've had the RV plugged into 15 amps at my house for the past two weeks. The beeping continues until I actually start the vehicle and let it run for about 10-15 minutes. I'm wondering now if I also need a new converter/charger since the coach batteries aren't holding a charge.

Tags