Old 01-09-2015, 11:45 PM   #1

Cool LP Regulator bad

It's 15 degrees out. We have had our GT 351 since November. This is the second time I have notice heater issues. Last time we had an electric heater for supplement heat and i forgot about it. Didnt bring it this time and it is COLD. LP gas is on, tank 80-85%. First time i kicked furnace on it ran both the Front AC (only one with the useless heat strips) and the furnace. Had to kick off the AC with the breaker but that is not the real issue. I think I must have a bad regulator. I am sitting her right now watching the cook stove burner go from medium to almost out (it has gone out several times in fact). The furnace has worked two or three times then it will only blow cold air or not at all. I presume it is due to the fact that there is not enough consistent gas pressure to keep the furnace burner lit. i thought there was air in the lines and i lit the burner to purge it out. It basically stopped going out completely but still goes real low to medium (never what i would call "high" which is what the setting is on. What can i check? Who do i call? What can be done besides heading for a motel?

Old 01-09-2015, 11:51 PM   #2

Are you sure the tank valve is fully open? After that motel.

jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:04 AM   #3

If it's very cold the propane stays as a liquid with very little vapors which is what you need for the stove and heaters.
I would wait until it warms up outside before your start replacing parts.

"A lot of cold weather tailgaters prefer charcoal in the winter months because they believe propane does not flow as quickly and does not get their grill hot enough as charcoal when the mercury dips."

Also here is more info:
A gas grill -in this case I’m solely referring to liquid propane- has a safety feature built into the gas regulator that is on the tube connecting your bottle of liquid propane to the grill itself. This safety valve will not open fully until the gas pressure has equalized between the bottle and the grill. If the burners are in the on position, gas is leaving the lines in the grill and this pressure cannot equalize."

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:58 AM   #4

I had a similar experience when camping in cold weather. The regulator was freezing up due to a combination of problems. I had just had the tank filled and I believe it was overfilled and liquid propane was flowing into the regulator and freezing it up. I contined to burn the stove until I got a steady high flame. I then tried the furnaces and they lit and stayed on. Unfortunately it took about 36 hrs to burn off enough propane to avoid the icing issue.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:00 AM   #5

I also placed a trouble light with a 60 watt bulb on top of the regulator.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:56 AM   #6

I would agree with IGGI. turn off all the propane appliances, fridge stove, furnace. Close the propane tank valve then sloooowly open the valve giving it lots of time to equalize the pressure. You could even do this twice. Then go to the stove and light one burner. It should work fine. Now turn on the furnace, fridge hot water tank etc.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:59 PM   #7

I have replaced my propane regulator twice already and now carry a spare with me! (13k miles / 2013 model. )

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 01-10-2015, 04:30 PM   #8
Site Team

As mentioned above, if the pressure in the lines is low and the tank valve is turned on quickly, the protection mechanism kicks in and shuts down the propane flow ( or reduces it dramatically). To fix this you need to close valve completely and open very slowly. I would not replace until you try it in warmer weather as regulator may have frozen also.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewant View Post
I had a similar experience when camping in cold weather. The regulator was freezing up due to a combination of problems. I had just had the tank filled and I believe it was overfilled and liquid propane was flowing into the regulator and freezing it up. I contined to burn the stove until I got a steady high flame. I then tried the furnaces and they lit and stayed on. Unfortunately it took about 36 hrs to burn off enough propane to avoid the icing issue.
so as an update... I left the burner on the cookstove while i was sending and reading messages in the forum. After ~30m i heard (and saw) the burner kick in on high for the first time. No problems since (that night - we will see tonight.) I will stick 60w light/cord in the coach and try that on future stops this winter. We are in volleyball tournaments and camping out of town frequently Jan-March.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:50 PM   #10

Regarding the air conditioner, according to the users manual, the AC fan comes on to help circulate air. However, it only does this when the heater blower is set on hi or low. When it is set on auto, the AC will not come on. Try it.