Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #1

I'm thinking of switching from my three inch dump hoses to a macerator system like Sanicon so I can easily route a one inch hose to the sewer. Has anyone used the Sanicon or another system and how did it work for you?

2007 391TS UFO Chassis
Lawfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
I have not used a macerator system but when I looked into one, I found they were pretty expensive and also thought about how much longer would it take to drain through a 1" hose. Interested to read more posts on this subject.

buffalohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
Have not used one but was talking to a fellow camper who did have one. He gave up on it because it kept plugging up with hair. He was always taking it apart to get the hair out.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
Lottery Non-Winner
I have a Sewer Solution.

While it is not a macerator per se, it uses a water jet to blast solid waste so it will pass through the smaller hose. I like it, but for my preferences, it is most useful for longer stays, where the black water would need to be "dumped" more than once. For shorter stays, I just use the regular "slinky" hose. Here's why: with the sewer solution, it does take longer to drain the tank. That slower drain speed has less ability to "evacuate" the black tank. The volume of foul water leaving the black tank with the slinky is more likely to bring things with it. Therefore, IN MY OPINION, the sewer solution requires more tank rising, takes longer to finish the job, uses a lot of fresh water (for the jet), and it costs more. That's all the negative stuff.
Here's the positive: the hose is extremely durable and won't tear (period), if I'm hooked up to a water pipe I usually don't care how much water I'm using, if I'm on a longer stay, I can pull the handle and turn on the jet and walk away (come back in 10 minutes to shut off the jet and close the valve).
Sometimes the slinky hose wants to jump around when I release the handle. The sewer solution doesn't have enough stuff passing through it at any one time to cause that, therefore, you don't have to baby sit it while draining.

2011 Georgetown 337
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
I have always wondered about them too. I have read for a long time how it is important to have the tank at least 3/4 full so that the flow will carry out the solids. Does the macerator move the waste out quick enough to drag all the solids with it?
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Duramax and Allison 6 speed
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
I hoped that the macerator was a silver bullet to solve my dump problems but I now see why they aren't universal. First, they take more time to dump. Second, like a garbage disposal they can readily jam. Except that I am willing to stick my hand into a disposer to unclog. Third, they aren't cheap.

So, unless somebody comes along with compelling evidence I'm going to stick with 3" hoses and gravity.

There is an opportunity here for some inventor to make a bunch of money. I'll be a beta test site......
2007 391TS UFO Chassis
Old 01-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
I have one on my boat and its seems like its gets plugged up at least once per season. I have been very careful with the intake but seems to keep happening.
2011 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2015 Toyota Tundra
wfmdfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #8
We use a "Flojet" macerator nearly all the time because we do not have 3" dump facilities at most of the camp grounds we stay at in the U.K or Europe. I have to admit that it is a bit slower than using a 3" hose but if you time it right you can get out of the washing up, as for the macerator blocking up if you wait until the black tank is 3/4 full before dumping and run the tank flush when the tank is 1/4 full this tends to stop the blocking. Normal rules apply with regard to emptying grey after black.

With regard to hairs blocking the macerator these are easily removed by using long tweezers or long nose pliers when removing the macerator for the drive home.

The other advantage for us is that we do not have to park next to a dump point as we can easily pump up to 100'.

The Limeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
I don't want to hijack this thread so I'm asking Limey to start a new one about RVing in the UK. Does FR export? How did you get your unit? What are the roads like? How much is gas? Are there US-like RV parks?

2007 391TS UFO Chassis
Old 01-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
I have the FloJet and there have been some times that it's been invaluable! When possible, I just use a 3" stinky-slinky, but I've had sites where the sewer connection was higher than my dump valve (it was a low-to-the-ground trailer, but the sewer connection was still improperly constructed. I've also used the macerator in long-term boondocking, where I put my tote on the truck tailgate and pump to it, then haul it to a dumpsite, where I can stand the tank-up on the tailgate and dump by gravity. Keeps me from having to break-down and pull the trailer to the dumpsite....

Fire Instructor

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote