Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2015, 02:15 PM   #1

Made the move

Fellow FROGS. As I indicated in my posts, I had a side swipe of my 351. When I purchased my 351 it was the best equipped bunk model that was available in the gas market. Thor recently came out with their Challenger 37TB. Given the sizable insurance adjustment we received, we purchased the Thor Challenger 37TB. After our first 1200 mile shakeout trip, the unit seems to be what we'd hoped for - very roomy and well equipped. The biggest deficit is the Thor user community - it doesn't measure up to being a FROG.

So I have changed my signature to include the 37TB and unless I become an outcast for moving to Thor, intend to follow along.

Thanks to all of you for being wonderful, distant friends and users.

Ben and Maria
Old 05-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Glad you are now a "HAPPY CAMPER"!
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #3

oxcamper - We've been very happy. We averaged more than 20 days per month and almost 1200 miles per month in the short time we owned our beloved Georgie. In fact all of our use is what led us to wanting a washer/dryer, king bed and larger shower. So no regrets and I can only hope that the Challenger is as worry free as our Georgetown.

As I said, we will miss the very active user FROGs.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #4
WDK

I am making the move as well....to a NeXas class A diesel pusher, factory direct and we are just about to finalize our order as I type. We will retire in a year and have decided to go full time for two to three years and our goal is to drive this entire country so we wanted something a little bigger and more robust. We hope to continue on here on FROG long after we have given up our GT 280DS as the information here is quite invaluable.
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:25 AM   #5

WDK - best of luck with the full timing!! We have a large family and while we travel a large percentage of the time, we still maintain our beautiful home base here in horse country. So enjoy enjoy enjoy and blessings.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:23 AM   #6
WDK

.....thank you for that.....it was a tough decision to leave our home having done a lot of upgrades in 12 years from brand new. However we don't want to settle in California when we are done and we want to travel without time constraints....at a minimum 3 or 4 months at a time and trying to maintain a home 3000 miles alway is stressful at best. Property managers, renters or friends staying in it are not options we can live with. We will be on the road for the next three years or so and find the best place for us again....preferably with an RV garage which we don't have now though we had no clue of getting an RV then.

Thanks again....hope to see you out there....be safe.

WDK
Old 05-08-2015, 02:37 PM   #7

WDK - lived in the Hemet/San Jacinto area for a couple of years in the early 70s. It was a great little area then. We drove through there a few months back = wow, major metropolitan area.

Anyways - best of luck with your travels. We go for 2-3 months in the winter and 1-2 months the rest of the year. We are retired military and love Key West.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #8
WDK

....very cool.....we are in San Jacinto now.....California is not the best place to retire on your pocket book and if we did stay we would certainly have to find a place with an RV garage or pad....I put one but in little did I know then that and RV pad must be behind the garage and that is strictly for San Jacinto....not Hemet.....and there is no room for that in this housing track.

We are debating spending our first retired Christmas in Florida near you or stick around to finally view the floats after the Rose Bowl parade....choices, choices!!!

WDK
Old 05-08-2015, 08:07 PM   #9

Yep. Strongly suggest you look at you options for residency in any case. There are a number of websites that can provide info. Staying based in CA is way down the list. Places like Texas, Florida and Tn are great alternatives. We are seriously considering moving our official residence to one of these (Florida primarily because we have close family there). We are in Kentucky and the property tax on our motorhome is almost $1800 annually. The websites lay out the prerequisites to qualify for residency. My wife and I are both fully retired. With just some work on our part could easily qualify for the change.

Anyway - something to consider and look at. Again - best of luck.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #10

Wow. Here in GA my yearly tag is $20 no tax. The sales tax upfront when buying is called title advalorem tax. 6.75% but no more taxes yearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-08-2015, 09:09 PM   #11

GABoy - yep. Getting DINGED here. My tags are $25. The property tax is right at $1800. We had a great Lincoln Navigator and our toad Ford Explorer. RVing as much as we are, continuing to pay $550 per year for my beautiful Navigator and suffer the depreciation made no sense (or cents). We only used one vehicle and the Explorer is a great toad - so bye bye Navigator. We pay that property tax along with 6% state income tax. Only good news is 2 of our retirements are not subject to that. Still a hosing - thus the consideration of moving our home of residence.