Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
Senior Member - Retired

Magic Chef Microwave Starts On Its Own

While camping this past week, we had a less than pleasurable experience with the Magic Chef microwave in our Georgetown. Tuesday morning at 2:00 AM the microwave turned on by itself. We were sleeping and had not used the microwave at all while camping.

I unplugged the microwave which stopped the fan and as soon as I plugged it back in the fan started again. Nothing I could think of at 2:00 AM would shut it off, other than unplugging the microwave. I played around with it a bit more during the day Tuesday with the same results. We left it unplugged and did without the rest of the week.

After we got home Friday and put everything away I plugged in the microwave and the exhaust fan immediately came on as before. I opened the microwave door (which I had already done on several occasions) and depressed the fan speed setting button. Imagine my surprise when the fan reacted and I was able to turn off the fan while leaving the microwave plugged in.

I do not trust this has “fixed” anything and feel the microwave has one or more internal problems which at the least makes it unreliable and at the worst, dangerous if left plugged in and unattended.

I contacted Magic Chef and they have no product record with the model or serial number of ours. I doubt I will be able to locate the exact replacement unit so locating and customizing the fit for a new one will be expensive.
I have an extended warranty with a $200 deductible but am not sure what they will agree to cover.

Has anyone experienced the unattended startup of their microwave?If it were to start up in “cook” mode it could easily cause a fire.

After being awakened at 2:00 AM by the microwave starting up on its own, my wife is ready to throw it out the door! Since she woke me up as soon as the microwave woke her up, I agree with her on throwing out the microwave

As a side note, one thing I never liked is that the microwave vents to the inside of the motorhome not the outside. Having to locate a non-vented over the range microwave with bottom fan and light makes finding a replacement even more difficult. Attached is a picture of the sticker with the model and serial number.

Any assistance would be appreciated especially from anyone who has experienced a similar issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Microwave02.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	109345  
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #2

I think you should look here in the forum for recall of your Magic Chef Microwave.
If I'm not mistaken it had a recall for exactly what you talked about. Starting on its own etc.

The fix was if I remember right the touch panel was replaced on the out side.

I will see if I can find the thread.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #3

Well if you go to replace it they are only $99 at home depot and that is cheaper than the $200 deductible.. Magic Chef 1.6 cu. ft. Over the Range Microwave in Black-MCO165UB - The Home Depot
Old 05-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #4
Senior Member - Retired

IGGY - Thank you for the reminder. I will do some searching on the forum. As someone on the forum says "search is your friend".

RVNUT - Looks to be an almost identical model, except ours is stainless steel as are all our MH appliances. Perhaps it can be special ordered as stainless. Will do some checking, Thanks for the information!
Old 05-28-2016, 06:09 PM   #5

Yes as Iggy said there is a recall. It's been a couple years though I thought. Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #6
Senior Member - Retired

Jerry01 - My Magic Chef microwave was manufactured in July of 2012 and installed in my 2014 Georgetown by Forest River. The recall you recall may well be applicable. I am searching for MC Microwave recall information. They are made in China, I believe by Daewoo.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:07 PM   #7

The original recall was for Frigidaire microwaves in the Georgetowns. The control units are probably the same. Iggy shared a recall notice from the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. I think it was early last year. Mine fell just outside the supposedly affected serial numbers, but still had the same problem you describe. Unfortunately, I can't get the PDF file to attach. Forest River was willing to replace it, but they wanted me to coordinate between a dealer to remove and reinstall the microwave in the cabinet with a Frigidaire repairman to replace the control panel. After several tries, including multiple FR dealers and Frigidaire dealers, none who wanted to do the work, I finally gave up. After fighting with resetting the control panel by unplugging it for about an hour each time it screwed up for a few months, the problem went away and it has been working fine now for about a year. I think it was possessed! We're full timers though, so it gets used daily. I was able to copy some of the recall text below. Good luck!

Mfr's Report Date: July 23, 2014 NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V-449
Components:
EQUIPMENT:RECREATIONAL VEHICLE Potential Number of Units Affected: 1,041
Problem Description:
Forest River Inc. (Forest River) is recalling certain model year 2013-2014 Georgetown, Sunseeker, Forester, Cross Country, Pathfinder, Cardinal, Blue Ridge, Cedar Creek, and Brookstone recreational vehicles manufactured March 11, 2013, through April 26, 2013 and equipped with certain Frigidaire Convection Microwave models CFMV152CLB and CFMV154CLS. The microwave may start on it's own and begin heating when unattended.
Consequence:
If the microwave starts on its own and there are contents inside, a fire could result.
Remedy:
Forest River will notify owners, and dealers will repair the membrane/keypad component, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in September 2014. Owners may contact Forest River customer service at 1-800-353-7383
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:44 PM   #8

This may help

https://mcappliance.com/media/manuals/MCO160UBF.pdf
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:18 PM   #9
Senior Member - Retired

Thank you to everyone for their comments and information.

I sent an email to my selling dealer and to Forest River and I will call Magic Chef again Tuesday morning.

With the additional information I now have, hopefully I can convince someone to take responsibility for replacing the unit.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:33 AM   #10
Senior Member - Retired

Possible Resolution on 6/10/16

After several calls this past week, today I finally reached a knowledgeable and helpful person at MCA Corporation, who quickly informed me my microwave was covered under a "known issues" document. They are sending me the necessary parts including a new membrane keypad and have scheduled a service technician for Friday June 10th. I am crossing my fingers they are able to resolve the problem.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #11
Senior Member - Retired

Update

First visit by technician failed due to having the wrong part. Next attempt will be June 28th. Certainly glad I am not being charged for the parts, shipping nor labor.

I did manage to open up access so if necessary, the technician could remove the microwave. IU am posting a few pictures in hopes it may help someone in the future.

There is a s trim piece above the microwave that can be removed by pulling straight out on one end. A picture of the trim piece is shown on the dinette table.

The picture with three arrows shows the brackets at each end of the top support for the microwave and how the two brackets attaché to the cabinet. The third arrow points to one of two bolts supplied with the microwave designed to secure the microwave to the cabinet above the microwave. Since there is no cabinet above the microwave, FR secured the microwave to a piece of wood with the bolts, then pushed in the microwave and piece of wood before attaching the brackets to the sides of the microwave enclosure.

I have posted a close up of how the brackets attach to the wood strip and enclosure as well as a close up of the bolt attaching the wood strip to the microwave.

Not a particularly pretty installation by FR.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #12

We just had the same problem. We leave the electric on in ours which is parked at an RV Park we belong to. No one had been down to it for about a week. When I walked in my daughter said the microwave had just come on. I opened the door and closed it. A few seconds later it came back on for 2:00 minutes, time on the countdown timer. I opened the door again and looked in. The glass tray was shattered and the plastic ring the tray revolves on was melted completely through. I turned the circuit breaker for it off, cleaned up the glass and melted plastic. Ours is a Magic Chef too. Our 2009 Sunseeker 3100SS is probably too old for it to be covered but thought I would share. Thanks for the heads up on where to purchase a replacement.
Captain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:07 PM   #13

Captain Bob. It may be too old for warranty but maybe a recall is on it or Magic Chef may replace it out of concern for safety and their liability
Old 07-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #14
Senior Member - Retired

Captain Bob I wish you good luck. The third visit by a technician and the correct keypad has so far fixed the problem with our microwave.