Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #1

Main awning will not retract

My problem is my main canopy will not retract. We recently had a lot of rain, I had the canopy tied down using tie down straps to hooks in the ground. I pushed the canopy up on a regular basis to keep it from puddling. Now that I am getting ready to retract it, it wont retract. All that is going on is I can hear the motor engage but it does not move. Help. Sorry forgot to tell you the details. It is a 2007 Georgetown 378
bryansues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #2

If you hear the motor turning then you need to retract manually and have a dealer check.
Read the manual on disconnecting motor plug near the roller towards the front and manually retract the way the book show. Make sure you strap it down when rolled up so it doesn't come open when travelling.
That's the best advise I can give you.

See page 3 of the attached manual

Good luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 9100-Power-Awning_user-guide_EN.pdf (404.7 KB, 78 views)
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #3

Hopefully you got it fixed. Not sure if yours is like ours, but I always lower one side down when it rains...never puddles.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #4

I thank everybody for your help. We had a Tech come out and found that the motor had failed. Now we have to find somebody between south Texas and Pensacola that has a motor or can get one quickly.
bryansues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #5

When you use some sort of tiedown facility that also use some sort of pole on an electric awning you defeat the automatic rain dump capability provided by the gas struts. One side must be secured manually at an angle with the tiedowns in place if rain is expected or probably even if it isn't. The auto dump feature works very well but of course does not help a whole lot for high winds. Just a thought.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
When you use some sort of tiedown facility that also use some sort of pole on an electric awning you defeat the automatic rain dump capability provided by the gas struts. One side must be secured manually at an angle with the tiedowns in place if rain is expected or probably even if it isn't. The auto dump feature works very well but of course does not help a whole lot for high winds. Just a thought.
Agree with everything except the auto dump feature never worked very good on ours the two or three times we had it out in the rain without poles, it would just puddle in the middle even on our 16' awning so I tilted it manually with the adjustable arm after seeing it the first time.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #7

My awning is a 20 footer and has performed very well. Was in Colorado this year when the heavy rains came. The awning dumped about every 45 minutes or so. There was not a strong wind associated with the flooding rains and that's why I left the awning out. We were not on site one time when the rains started and the awning performed well. Typically I roll up the awning when leaving the site. Don't recall why I didn't that time but was glad the dump feature worked. I don't have your tiedowns but think they might be a nice addition to combat strong windy conditions.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Denver, CO

When you use OC's designed support poles, you set them up with an angle built in, so you don't need the autodump feature. Picture show mine with a slight angle, I put a large angle in, when I suspect rain, but even this angle is enough to shed all but the most torrential downpour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-654974062.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	42277  

Tags
awning