Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #21

My door is doing the same, I will get forest river to fix at rally!
armye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #22

Thank you for your service Bud. It's because of folks like you that we can enjoy our rigs and have discussions like this every day. God Bless the USA. Frank
frankatp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #23

I tried lubricating the door lock. It's better, but I think that's a temporary fix at best. I'll probably be ponying up $100 for the new lock eventually. Thanks again for the link & info.

I see how to change out the door lock, but I don't see how to pull the striker plate out (at least not without a fight). Is it OK to reuse the striker plate with the new door latch? It doesn't seem like the issue is with the striker plate; all the friction seems to be in the door lock.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #24

I did change out the strike plate, because I just didn't know where the problem was. This is how I did it:

The strike plate was held on by two screws. And I was afraid that one I removed those screws the strike plate might fall down into the door frame. So I stuck a screwdriver through one of the strikeplate holes to hold it. Then removed the two screws. Then I was able to lower the strike plate down into the door frame until the top of the strike plate was clear. Then I could angle the strike plate and pull it out through the hole that is normally behind it. Putting the new one in was just the reverse.

The problem I'm having now is that the two alignment bolts (the ones that take a strange T15 star (torx) bit) that stick out from edge the door and go into the strike plate keep working loose. I'm constantly tightening them. So I need to dab a bit of blue locktite on those.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
I did change out the strike plate, because I just didn't know where the problem was. This is how I did it:

The strike plate was held on by two screws. And I was afraid that one I removed those screws the strike plate might fall down into the door frame. So I stuck a screwdriver through one of the strikeplate holes to hold it. Then removed the two screws. Then I was able to lower the strike plate down into the door frame until the top of the strike plate was clear. Then I could angle the strike plate and pull it out through the hole that is normally behind it. Putting the new one in was just the reverse.

The problem I'm having now is that the two alignment bolts (the ones that take a strange T15 star (torx) bit) that stick out from edge the door and go into the strike plate keep working loose. I'm constantly tightening them. So I need to dab a bit of blue locktite on those.
ok what I did on 2012 378ts was file the striker plate so the door doesn't force up and for the alignment bolts I adjusted and lock Loctite them both, easy fix but works sweat. Pete
petey is offline   Reply With Quote