Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2015, 09:27 AM   #1

Maintaining batteries

Will a 1.5 amp charger maintain 2 batteries tied together while the coach is not in use?

If so what is the procedure to hook it up?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Tiger42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger42 View Post
Will a 1.5 amp charger maintain 2 batteries tied together while the coach is not in use?

Assuming they are in parallel (most likely since they are probably 12V batteries) they act like one battery. Just hook up the charger and you are good to go. Check the water level if you are going to charge them for long periods of time as it could evaporate more quickly while you are charging.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:09 AM   #3

Don't use a charger to maintain batteries, it will probably fry them. You need a battery maintainer such as the brand "Battery Tender".
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey View Post
Don't use a charger to maintain batteries, it will probably fry them. You need a battery maintainer such as the brand "Battery Tender".
A 1.5 amp charger will not burn up two 850 amp hour batteries.
That sounds like he has a Battery Tender.
It will maintain them but will not do any damage.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
WDK

If your going to be plugging in a charger, or battery tender unless it's solar, why not just plug in your coach and make sure your battery disconnect switch is in and the charger on your coach will charge the batteries. If it's a newer coach the smart charger is the best thing for your batteries.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger42 View Post

Assume two things; 1. your referring to a trickle charger being 1.5 amps 2. Your house batteries are already at full charge, prior to the maintain charging your asking about.Your good to go then.

Also, over the long haul, you will not "use up" the fixed life as fast that all electronic gizmos have, like the more expensive on board unit. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
Assuming they are in parallel (most likely since they are probably 12V batteries) they act like one battery. Just hook up the charger and you are good to go. Check the water level if you are going to charge them for long periods of time as it could evaporate more quickly while you are charging.
If you are going to charge two batteries in Parallel. Then you hook the positive to the first battery and the negative to the second battery. Do not put the charger on only one battery.....:

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:44 AM   #8
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
If you are going to charge two batteries in Parallel. Then you hook the positive to the first battery and the negative to the second battery. Do not put the charger on only one battery.....:

It doesn't matter. The batteries are not smart enough to know what end of the cable you hooked the charger to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-17-2015, 08:53 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
It doesn't matter. The batteries are not smart enough to know what end of the cable you hooked the charger to.
X2, but it doesn't hurt one way or the other.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
X2, but it doesn't hurt one way or the other.
According to living on 12 volt that is the way to equalize the charge. But people can do what they want. I'm not buying there batteries. By your logic then just hook up the plus and minus and use your negative from the first battery to ground. That is what you are doing by charging only one battery. It's just my answer to the OP right or wrong.....

Old 05-17-2015, 09:22 AM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...By your logic then just hook up the plus and minus and use your negative from the first battery to ground....
????
Old 05-17-2015, 10:00 AM   #12

I have no dog in this. That's the only way that I would charge same as hooking the batteries up 1) with one battery you hook pos to trailer and neg. to ground. In parallel you hook pos to pos neg from the first bat to the second battery then from the second battery you go to ground. You charge the same way. That is the way I do it and will keep doing it. My batteries are 4 years old cheapo interstate. Had the 30 amp off for 48 hrs this week and the meter at my panel read 12.7. Gees must be doing something right. I also have a load meter, put that on and tested after 48 it show green, bought it at harbour freight. This is my opinion on how to charge my batteries hooked in parallel

Old 05-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #13

Iggy, that is what I wanted to do use one tender to maintain 2 battries, just wasn't sure how to hook ir up.
Thanks guys for the input.
Tiger42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:32 AM   #14

I use a battery tender while my Georgetown is in storage (2 12 V batteries). And I hook the positive to the front battery and the negative to the rear most connection. Works great.

On my unit, a 2005, I must not have a very smart on board charger because I boiled my old batteries dry in just a few days. Ended up shortening their life. Now use the battery tender on the newer ones.

When I go to Florida in the winter, I leave my van in the storage unit with the battery tender to keep that battery alive until I return.

I also put a battery tender on the battery on my golf cart over the winter.

I am a big fan of battery tenders.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #15

Speaking of batteries, my 2014 Georgetown has two coach batteries (can't insert picture right now). I am trying to determine if they are sealed, maintenance-free or is there a way to open and check the water level. Anyone?
Donamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #16

Quote:
This is actually the correct way to hook up to multiple batteries in parallel.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDK View Post
If your going to be plugging in a charger, or battery tender unless it's solar, why not just plug in your coach and make sure your battery disconnect switch is in and the charger on your coach will charge the batteries. If it's a newer coach the smart charger is the best thing for your batteries.

WDK

This is what I do. Why make it more complicated?

Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery