Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2015, 07:17 PM   #1

Making a trip to Colorado and need tow advice.

We are going up through the million dollar highway from Durango to Ouray then up to Glenwood Springs before going to Denver. I was thinking of installing the tow bar on a ford Taurus but don't know if that is to large of a car to be pulling while at that elevation since I'm not in a diesel.
denveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:01 PM   #2
7 Year Class A RV'er

Have you verified the requirements for flat towing a Taurus? Not sure you can flat tow it. If you can, from my memory driving that road in a car, I think you're OK on power but that's a VERY narrow winding road!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #3

I haven't looked at requirements for towing a taurus. I'm a newbie and didn't know there could be any certain requirements. The last time I drove that road was in my old bimmer so the winding roads made for lots of fun. This time I will definitely observe speed limits.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #4

The Remco website is a nice place to start your search for being able to flat-tow your specific year, make and model of vehicle.

Store : Remco

We drove through there last year in our 351DS but were not towing at the time. I personally would have felt comfortable towing a car in that area but would absolutely recommend a braking system in your toad. Our motorhome engine and brakes were working pretty hard going downhill (in 2nd gear), it would've been a little scary having 5,000 pounds pushing on the back too. Going uphill you can just stay right, put on your flashers and do your best. Worst case, assuming you're not alone, is unhook the toad and have your partner drive it separately.

Tom
Old 05-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #5

After pricing everything at the Remco store that I would need that comes out to almost $3,000. I think I would rather just get an auto trailer to tow then I could tow the taurus or tow the porsche when I run it on the track and camp out all weekend at the tracks here in AZ. Is there any downfall or restrictions to just getting a tow trailer? They come equipped with brakes also on the front axle.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by denveer View Post
Is there any downfall or restrictions to just getting a tow trailer? They come equipped with brakes also on the front axle.
Weight! I had looked at lightweight trailers a while back and, if I recall, they were around 2,000 pounds average. You'll want to verify the towing capacity of the XL, my 351DS is only 5,000 pounds, so that really limited my car\trailer options. I flat-tow a 2009 Saturn Outlook with no problems at all.

Check Amazon or other on-line stores for pricing, I saved significant money ordering the parts myself as opposed to through the local RV dealer. If you live in AZ there are many more options for sellers and installers than around my area. And you have better scenery.

You'll also need to install a trailer brake controller. Check with Forest River, they may pre-wire for it and you only need to plug in the controller which would be very nice!

If weight isn't an option, a trailer may be a nice option for your situation so you can haul different vehicles. We're ordering a new Jeep Wrangler soon and are able to flat-tow that as well, so it works for us being able to flat-tow either one.

Tom
Old 05-27-2015, 01:48 PM   #7

Thanks Tom, this gives me several things to look at. My towing capacity is at 5,000 lbs also.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:55 AM   #8

You could compromise and tow the Taurus on a dolly. That's what I use with my wife's RAV4. Knock on wood no problems to date.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by denveer View Post
Thanks Tom, this gives me several things to look at. My towing capacity is at 5,000 lbs also.
That 5,000 lbs is total max for car and tow trailer.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:11 PM   #10

We have a Stehl tow dolly with hydraulic surge brakes, tow a Mazda 3 behind a 2014 378ts. Love the simplicity. Takes less than 10 minutes to load, five to unload. Brakes work well. Just finished a Smokey Mountains trip with several 6% and even one 10% 6 mile grade and were able to pull 45mph easily. The best thing we did was to add a hitch to the road so when we get to a campground the toad can pull the dolly!
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:05 PM   #11

Taurus is towable all four down according to the 2015 FMC Towing guide.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote