Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #1

Manually retracting slides

Today we looked everywhere on my 2011 GT 378 TS to see where I can manually retract the slides but came up blank. We were having a difficult time retracting the front slides (the bed slide came in VERY slowly). Of course the standard GT manual was of no help because it did not say were it was located - just how to do it. Luckily, we finally got the slides to retract.
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #2

Buddy, based on what you said, it appears not enough current is your problem, you need to be plugged into shore power or gen running to operate slides, if your batteries are weak the slides would be slow or not moving. Did you have power?
Old 09-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #3

We were running on the generator. When I did put down and retracted the jacks it flashed "low voltage" on the jack control panel. While the slides were out and the jacks down, we could not see any fluid in the resivor. When they finally did retract, a small amount could be seen.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #4

Not sure about slides but I just bought my Georgetown XL two weeks ago and they told me the hydraulic jacks are powered by the engine battery and make sure the engine was running when leveling or retracting. Maybe I was told wrong but when I used without the engine running it flashed low voltage. And that was with the generator running. Start the engine and the low voltage lamp went off.
ef2080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #5

I started a reply post but it disappeared, so let's try again...

From what I know, the earlier posts were accurate, but may not answer your original question, manual retraction of sideouts.

I would suggest going online and downloading a document from Lippert entitled "Lippert Components Inc. Electronic / Hydraulic Leveling and Slideout System Operation and Service Manual"
It gives details of the systems used by Forest River, including manual operations. You should find your systems and how to retract even if you have a total power failure.

There are some differences in given models, so I can't say specifically how your might work.

Hope that helps.
Jim Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #6

Thanks Jim. I will check it out.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyu View Post
Thanks Jim. I will check it out.
howdy I have a 2012 378ts.when I get ready to leave a camp, I start engine and turn on control panel and hit all retract, then shut motor off and pull key. Start generator and bring all slides in, this will always work in this order, if you want to check oil level in hyd. tank its when all jacks and slides are in, it should be one inch from top of tank.
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #8

Petey. If the MH is not level should you bring in (or out) the slides?
Old 09-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #9

I follow the same procedure as Petey with our 378, except I retract slides while still hooked to power source, then start engine and retract jacks. Has worked well so far.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
Pete

These manuals may help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LCI Electronic Leveling System.pdf (1.01 MB, 75 views)
File Type: pdf LCI Levelers Troubleshooting Tips.pdf (804.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: pdf Electronic Hydraulic Leveling and Slideout-Web.pdf (2.68 MB, 147 views)
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #11

Thanks Pete. You are correct - they will help.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyu View Post
Petey. If the MH is not level should you bring in (or out) the slides?
howdy: if you are on un level ground I would bring slides in first, then jacks. But remember motor running for jacks. And then generator for all slides. We do a lot of dry camping so when I find a spot I like it pretty level from the word go. This makes it a lot easier. Hope this helps. There is a lot of good info on this sight. Pete
Old 09-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #13

You should be as level as possible anytime operating the slides. They, like the fridge can be a little off but needs as much level as you can get to operate smoothly. I always use either shore power or gen, bring in slides and then retract all on jacks. Just my way but my unit is 2011 and has 25,000 on her and still going strong.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by copsuno View Post
You should be as level as possible anytime operating the slides. They, like the fridge can be a little off but needs as much level as you can get to operate smoothly. I always use either shore power or gen, bring in slides and then retract all on jacks. Just my way but my unit is 2011 and has 25,000 on her and still going strong.
That is usually the procedure I follow. Don't get me started on the fridge. I can hardly wait for our next trip to FL and have to toss another $100 worth of food due to extreme temp swings in the fridge.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #15

howdy: on your refer remember to use inside thermometer for accurate reading. the digital one on upper right outside is junk. you can buy these at camping world for about 5 bucks, they work. Pete
Old 09-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post
howdy: on your refer remember to use inside thermometer for accurate reading. the digital one on upper right outside is junk. you can buy these at camping world for about 5 bucks, they work. Pete
I agree about the digital. However the food was barely cool so we did not want to chance it. Our next step will be to install a fan on the inside.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #17

the refer is a case: I have found always put stuff inside cold if you put in beer pop or what ever the refer works over time if its warm, just a little tip. Pete Gresham oregon

Tags
manual, slide, slide out