Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #1

MaxxFan upgrade

I believe I found my first upgrade to my new 351DSF!

Airxcel | Maxxair | Maxxfan

Has anyone done this upgrade before? The fan in the bathroom shouldn't be a big issue since it already has power going to it. However, I'm not sure about the one above the kitchen area.

The best price I could find thus far is through Amazon at $220.00. Are there any advantages / disadvantages doing white covers versus smoked?

Maxxair 00-05100K MaxxFan Ventillation Fan with White Lid and Manual Opening Keypad Control : Amazon.com : Automotive

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #2

I have installed the same thing in two different trailers. Both were in the hallway, but in my case there were main power wires going to the various light locations that I was able to reach up and grab one. There was enought slack to connect in. It's not a hard installation but somewhat time consuming since you remove the old vent and then have to clean the roof to make a seal for the new vent. I didn't opt for the tinted cover. The fan itself blocks quite a lot of the direct light and then the shroud around the fan blades blocks some also.
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:07 AM   #3

Very easy install. I replaced both the vents in my 350. Takes some time because you have to scrape the old calking off and remove all the screws (probably 30 screws holding them in)

Make sure you get some self-leveling dicor caulk to seal it back up. You'll need two tubes to really do it right. Amazon, Camping World and lots of other online places sell it. This is the same stuff they use at the factory.

As to getting power to a fan there are probably already power wires there. In the unlikely event that there arn't power wires there you can get power from a nearby celing light. It's easy to push a fiberglass wire pull rod (get one cheap at harbor freight) through the styrofoam in the celing from the fan location over to a nearby lamp. And pull some power wires back. But I'll bet you a beer there are already power wires at the fan location.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #4

Talking Power for fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
Very easy install.

As to getting power to a fan there are probably already power wires there. But I'll bet you a beer there are already power wires at the fan location.
JSutherl: I just took out the inside of the fan and there's a white wire which was just cut off and sitting there. It was part of three wires: the other two were brown. Does this mean I owe you a beer? I'm not sure if there's power coming in from it and not sure how the wiring side of things work. If that's the power wire, that be a slam dunk fix!!!

http://sdrv.ms/186MjAF

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote