Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2015, 06:09 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 357
Thumbs up Michelin Tires

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, I just discovered my two front tires were beginning to separate, heading for a blowout. I have 47,000 miles on the 378TS, and coming home from our last trip, I felt a vibration similar to a tire out of balance.

I had them checked at my tire shop, and they discovered they were separating in the middle of the tread. It was easy to feel by running your hand over the tread. The tires are just 5 years old on my 2011, so well under the 6 or 7 year replacement time.

I put Toyos on the front, and in a year or two will replace the rear ones. They are about $150.00 cheaper than Michelins, and are good tires. I had them on a Itasca I had before this Georgetown. The owner of the tire shop has them on his with good luck.

Happy Trails, Forrest
__________________

__________________
Happy Trails
fbconsults
(Forrest and Donna)
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:12 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,360
235/80/22.5 tires


Did you find the Toyo the same size as the Michelins?
Does the new front Toyo feel and drive the same? Do they wander right and left?
What psi do you run your front tires?


What load range and how much weight can they handle and highest psi.
See the picture of the Michelins XRV tires
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	97036  
__________________

__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:15 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
jergeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central upstate New York
Posts: 258
I have the toyo's on mine and for the first 100 miles till the little tits wore off it wandered but after that they are great. I run my tire pressure by the toyo chart per axle single and dual and the ride is better than the michelins I had.
__________________
George & Jerri
06 GT 340 TSSE
USMC
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
BillMFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconsults View Post
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, I just discovered my two front tires were beginning to separate, heading for a blowout. I have 47,000 miles on the 378TS, and coming home from our last trip, I felt a vibration similar to a tire out of balance.

I had them checked at my tire shop, and they discovered they were separating in the middle of the tread. It was easy to feel by running your hand over the tread. The tires are just 5 years old on my 2011, so well under the 6 or 7 year replacement time.

I put Toyos on the front, and in a year or two will replace the rear ones. They are about $150.00 cheaper than Michelins, and are good tires. I had them on a Itasca I had before this Georgetown. The owner of the tire shop has them on his with good luck.

Happy Trails, Forrest

Did you check the date of manufacture on the tire sidewall. Your 2011 GT may have a chassis built a year or two before the coach. And the tires could have been manufactured a year or two before that. The only way to know the actual age of the tires is to read the code. And 47k miles is pretty good usage especially on front tires. I am not defending any tire manufacturer and have no specific knowledge of one brand vs another. My 2012 GT has 2011 Mich's with very little wear and no issues so far. Ride is excellent with no modifications. I use 90psi.
__________________
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:07 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
Did you check the date of manufacture on the tire sidewall. Your 2011 GT may have a chassis built a year or two before the coach. And the tires could have been manufactured a year or two before that. The only way to know the actual age of the tires is to read the code. And 47k miles is pretty good usage especially on front tires. I am not defending any tire manufacturer and have no specific knowledge of one brand vs another. My 2012 GT has 2011 Mich's with very little wear and no issues so far. Ride is excellent with no modifications. I use 90psi.
My Michelins still look good and have a build date in 2011. If I start seeing cracking in the side walls I will plan to buy new one also. I maintain my 90 psi all around also and probably have 50% tread left.
But like you said you need to check the sidewall build date.
Here is mine on my 2012 Georgetown and they all are the same date. 35th week in 2011. I believe that is what it says.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorhome Home 006.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	361.2 KB
ID:	97067  
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 357
Yes, I determined the age of the tires by the code. Five years. I run 95 psi, find it rides and handles better than 90 psi. Set toe in at max specs to prevent wandering. The Toyos are 1/16 inch shorter than the Michelins. I had no visible cracks, so I thought they were all good until I started feeling the vibration. I put Toyos on my previous coach, a 2003 Itasca, and I liked them a lot. Haven't driven far enough on these to determine if there is a difference in ride or handling.

Happy Trails, Forrest
__________________
Happy Trails
fbconsults
(Forrest and Donna)
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:30 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Freds342's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 407
I have over 5-K on my 22.5" Toyos, and couldn't be happier. Thet have somewhat stiffer sidewalls, so I have a better feeling of control.

No body roll when being passed by a semi, and better body roll control.
__________________
2005 Georgetown 342DS XL, Full Banks Package
2005 Liberty Renegade 4X Toad
1989 Wrangler Sahara Toad
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds342 View Post
I have over 5-K on my 22.5" Toyos, and couldn't be happier. Thet have somewhat stiffer sidewalls, so I have a better feeling of control.

No body roll when being passed by a semi, and better body roll control.

What is the actual size and model of the Toyo tires. No one has said.
Are they Semi-truck tires which do have stiffer sidewalls.
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:19 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
BillMFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
My Michelins still look good and have a build date in 2011. If I start seeing cracking in the side walls I will plan to buy new one also. I maintain my 90 psi all around also and probably have 50% tread left.
But like you said you need to check the sidewall build date.
Here is mine on my 2012 Georgetown and they all are the same date. 35th week in 2011. I believe that is what it says.

Mine were built in week 38, year 2010. The coach is a 2012 model built in 2011. Ain't that a hoot. Happy new year Iggy.
__________________
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:28 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
Mine were built in week 38, year 2010. The coach is a 2012 model built in 2011. Ain't that a hoot. Happy new year Iggy.
My Georgetown was built Oct 2011 and was a 2012 model
So your tires were almost a year older. WOW! That is a hoot. Ford must have had some in the back room waiting for your F-53 chassis.
Happy New Year 2 u 2
__________________

__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tire, tires

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.