Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2016, 04:29 PM   #1

Microwave

Anyone with an older Georgetown that has the Amana Radar range with vent, know where the internal fuse is? I couple of people have told me that some have an internal fuse.

We had a power surge on the weekend at the park, and the microwave now has nothing happening, operation panel is out. As in no lights.

Circuit breaker good, voltmeter shows 119.5 volts at the plug in the cupboard.

Thanks

2008 Georgetown 350SE TS
JohnnyMeteor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:04 PM   #2

Yes the microwaves do have an internal fuse.
Some can be changed and some are soldered.
If you feel you are mechanically inclined remove it from the wall bracket and remove the outer casing and it should be around the control panel board.

Just follow the black wire that comes into the microwave and you should find the fuse.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #3

Thanks Iggy.

Fortunately the previous owners left us a microwave installation manual, so running in reverse should help getting it down off the wall.

2008 Georgetown 350SE TS
Old 10-13-2016, 09:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMeteor View Post
Thanks Iggy.

Fortunately the previous owners left us a microwave installation manual, so running in reverse should help getting it down off the wall.
Now to get it down if it's like mine their is a piece of wood above the microwave. This board is just pushed into place or has a few staples holding it in place.
If you can remove this board you will see two L brackets with a few screws holding it in place. and removing them the unit will swivel down from the back wall mount.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:41 PM   #5

Well Iggy, true to Forest River form,, the microwave installation instructions were almost useless. Your information about the piece of wood in the cupboard, was spot on. It was stapled in the front corners, pried it up and found a piece of 2x8 running the width of the cupboard.

No L brackets, just 6 large 1/4 x 3 inch screws through the wood and into the top of the microwave. They obviously knew what they were doing, all the screws entered into empty areas of the microwave top.

According to the micro wave instructions, to change the charcoal filter you remove the 3 screws holding the vent to oven, they are on the top, pull those and then slide the vent grill to the left. Swing out the top and it easily removes. Only problem is Forest River installs the microwave with those screws under the cupboard.

With that grill removed, you can then drop the control panel off the microwave, but wait, no fuse there. It is further in and there are 2 20 amp 250 volt ceramic fuses on a separate board is just right of the cooking area, at the top, you have to remove a small internal grill to gain access.

Btw this was all done after I removed the microwave from under the cupboard and set it on the table. To make sure we can get at the fuses and the filter in the future it was installed under the cabinet without the 3 screws on the top for the vent grill. Once snapped into place and slid to the right, it locks in very securely.

So the dealer says, "oh wow that will be a pricey fix, when those microwaves stop working it is not good" "Could be upwards of a grand"

2 fuses, cost $5.61 taxes in, about a total of 1 hour of my time and presto, microwave works like a charm. One of the fuses had blown, that's all.

Thanks again for your help, and I hope this info can help someone else.

2008 Georgetown 350SE TS
Old 10-16-2016, 05:12 PM   #6

Glad to hear it was the bad power from the campgrounds that blew the fuse. Good job.

$1,000 to fix? Why do that when you can buy a new one from Walmart for for $200. They are just regular 30" microwaves.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/28773987?...&wl13=&veh=sem