Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2019, 05:41 PM   #1

Microwave and stove exhaust

Looking at a 2019 Georgetown GT5 31L5 and was wondering if anyone knew if the microwave and stove top exhaust vent up through the roof? Thanks in advance.
RTW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:59 PM   #2

No it vents back into the top of microwave into your face.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:24 PM   #3
Seasoned Camper-MH newbie

I really like the changes they made to the L5. Not sure why FR did not vent to the out side. But what we did to help remedy this in our 2017 GT R5 was to install a Vortex fan in the roof vent to act as an exhaust. Wiring is already there - it’s a simple install
Old 07-16-2019, 07:08 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Dangerous possibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldPE View Post
I really like the changes they made to the L5. Not sure why FR did not vent to the out side. But what we did to help remedy this in our 2017 GT R5 was to install a Vortex fan in the roof vent to act as an exhaust. Wiring is already there - it’s a simple install
When I was at an information seminar years ago, this same design was questioned by others in attendance. Here was his answer....and it has merit.

You’ll see actual vents to the outside on most trailers and 5th wheels, and that is mainly because people are not allowed to travel inside trailers while in transit. Now envision the exhausts from the tailpipe of your pickup finding their way into the trailer while driving all day....it could happen if the designs are right. This concentration of carbon monoxide could become lethal. Hopefully your CO monitor (you do have one right?) would detect it and sound the alarm. You would certainly hear the alarm as you opened the entry door.....maybe sooner.
As part of any trailer/5th wheel check list, the owner’s are supposed to slide the closer door on these vents as part of their getting ready to travel.

NOW IMAGINE....
A motorhome with the same style of “open to the world” exhaust vent not being secured closed. IMAGINE that possibly by design, the exhaust gases from the tailpipe entering into the motorhome GRADUALLY as you travel down the road.
IMAGINE the poisonous levels of carbon monoxide entering slowly enough to NOT trigger the CO monitor, but cause poisoning to yourself....as you’re traveling down the road.

IT COULD HAPPEN. This does not mean you might not find some motorhome units with exhaust vents that do open, but most are not so equipped.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
When I was at an information seminar years ago, this same design was questioned by others in attendance. Here was his answer....and it has merit.

You’ll see actual vents to the outside on most trailers and 5th wheels, and that is mainly because people are not allowed to travel inside trailers while in transit. Now envision the exhausts from the tailpipe of your pickup finding their way into the trailer while driving all day....it could happen if the designs are right. This concentration of carbon monoxide could become lethal. Hopefully your CO monitor (you do have one right?) would detect it and sound the alarm. You would certainly hear the alarm as you opened the entry door.....maybe sooner.
As part of any trailer/5th wheel check list, the owner’s are supposed to slide the closer door on these vents as part of their getting ready to travel.

NOW IMAGINE....
A motorhome with the same style of “open to the world” exhaust vent not being secured closed. IMAGINE that possibly by design, the exhaust gases from the tailpipe entering into the motorhome GRADUALLY as you travel down the road.
IMAGINE the poisonous levels of carbon monoxide entering slowly enough to NOT trigger the CO monitor, but cause poisoning to yourself....as you’re traveling down the road.

IT COULD HAPPEN. This does not mean you might not find some motorhome units with exhaust vents that do open, but most are not so equipped.
You must have grown up in California.

My MH has the standard side exhaust for the fan. The situation you describe was questioned a few years back and when tested it was found there was a vacuum in the vent exhaust area. There are a lot more tiny ways for engine exhaust to get into the vehicle.

I use the exhaust fan to extract the heat generated by the stove and (especially) the oven. That can’t be done if the vent fan is dumping air into the vehicle.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:49 PM   #6

I don't know much about FR motor homes, but when I took delivery of my Cardinal 5th wheel I noticed the microwave exhaust, even though it was on an outside wall, didn't exhaust outside. I found this strange since my previous RV, a slide in camper I bought used in 1970, had an exhaust fan that blew outside. No microwave then, but also no fumes in the camper. So I asked the sales guy if the exhaust built into the microwave could be adapted to become an actual exhaust. He said "no." While out on our first trip I decided to read through the pile of literature I found in the trailer and came across the microwave installation instructions. Lo and behold, the unit was definitely convertible to outside exhaust. So we had it done on my next visit to the dealership. I don't know the layout of your MH, but if the microwave is on an outside wall, you may want to check the literature for it to see what's really possible.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #7

Microwave and stove exhaust

I vented my microwave / convection back in December 2014 and have been very pleased with the results. No more heat being dumped in coach when using the convection and also all food odors are vented to outside when running exhaust fan over stove. I ordered adapter for microwave from the manufacture of microwave and purchased vent on line. If you look at more expensive coaches you’ll find most all have convections and or exhaust hoods vented to outside. Many use a vent that looks like one I used. Ive never experienced any exhaust issues and never close the vent from outside when traveling although vent can be snapped closed from outside if you wanted to do this. I used a multitool to cut thru wall. The template to mark cut was found with microwave paperwork. If yours did not come with one you may be able to get one from the manufacture of microwave as most houses have exhaust vented to outdoors. I will attempt to attach a few pictures. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0307.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	210064Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	210065Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0310.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	210066
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0320.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	210067
Old 07-16-2019, 06:10 PM   #8

Where did you get that slick looking vent? I have a Cardinal and am ready to do that job too, but hadn't seen that particular vent before.
bmrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:49 PM   #9

I'd like to check out one of those vents too. When we bought our TT, one thing they had to fix was the broken vent flapper. Whole thing had to be replaced. I noticed when we got to our last campsite, a "hinge pin" was broken on this one. I've been searching for better replacement and sturdier option.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:26 PM   #10

vent

Quote:

NOW IMAGINE....

I had a Coachman that had one..and it was on the driver side. I have also installed one on three of my class As.

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:36 PM   #11

I did it successfully. No issues
CrusadingCorgis2016RST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrbob View Post
Where did you get that slick looking vent? I have a Cardinal and am ready to do that job too, but hadn't seen that particular vent before.

Try recpro.com
Rv range vent cover with locking damper. SKU J116BK-C price 13.95
Im pretty sure this is the same one I have. I will have to dig through my paperwork in motorhome to see if I have receipt from where I ordered mine from but this looks like the same one to me. They have the cover in white also.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:07 AM   #13

Quote:

NOW IMAGINE....

With the engine exhaust located aft of the vent it would be virtually impossible for the exhaust to move forward while driving to enter through the exhaust vent.

The Moon could be made out of green cheese too but I don't believe it is.

All these rules, regulations and fears some people want or have never fail to astound me.

My guess as to why no side exhaust are two, a problem because of location (A support stud in the way right in that location for example), or, even more likely, COST.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
With the engine exhaust located aft of the vent it would be virtually impossible for the exhaust to move forward while driving to enter through the exhaust vent.

The Moon could be made out of green cheese too but I don't believe it is.

All these rules, regulations and fears some people want or have never fail to astound me.

My guess as to why no side exhaust are two, a problem because of location (A support stud in the way right in that location for example), or, even more likely, COST.
Yep. Plus, let’s not forget about all the horse trailers traveling around with two-four megadollar animals standing just a few feet from the truck exhaust. Those horses are more sensitive to pollutants than we are.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonz View Post
I had a Coachman that had one..and it was on the driver side. I have also installed one on three of my class As.
Also I like venting food odors outside since my wife is an excellent cook!! It gets the other folks in the campground drooling!!!

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #16

I believe the reason behind not using a range hood/ microwave vent through the wall also has to do with possible delamination issues. One less item to have a warranty claim on. If you decide to cut through to the exterior wall you must use either an antiwick asphalt type solution or an underbody type spray on all the fiberglass edges of the opening, and use a generous amount of butyl tape and caulk around the vent. Moisture can and will delam the wall causing more issues than it was worth to put the vent in in the first place. Don't forget to open and latch the flapper when using and traveling. Having it blocked by the flapper and trapping heat from a convection microwave oven can start a fire. You have many choices.
R time soon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave