Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2010, 01:10 AM   #1

Microwave stopped working

I just purchased a 2005 Georgetown XL 375, and after the initial trip, the microwave quit working. It is a Magic Chef model. The fuse just inside the control panel on the microwave is good, I had that checked, and there is electricity getting to the plug where the MW is plugged into. Anyone have any ideas, or if there is another fuse inside?

I haven't taken it to a repair shop yet, was hoping it was something simple.

Ron
Rongrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Magnetrons do go bad. They typically have 10 year warranties.
If out of its "bumper to bumper" warranty, most repair shops should only charge you labor to change it out.

DO NOT try to change it yourself unless you are very familiar with TEMPEST level RF control procedures.

You do NOT want stray microwaves bouncing around your camper. You would have to wear lead lined clothes and a lead lined hat when you microwave.

I wear them all the time, but for a totally different reason.
The CIA and black helicopter dudes, you know...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
Site Team

Chances are you can purchase a new unit cheaper than fixing
the old one. We live in a throw away society fer sure....

Can someone explain to me why I can buy a new florescent shop
light for $10 but if I want a new ballast for that light it costs $15.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

When my built in kitchen microwave magnetron failed I got a quote from Sears to come out and replace the magnetron. They wanted $125.00 door to door. However they would NOT order the part. I had to call and get the free part; then call Sears back to schedule the install.

Once I ordered the parts and it came in, I realized it was a very simple switchout so long as I followed the TEMPEST protocols during the install.

I had a TEMPEST computer during my time in the service and had taken a class on how to seal and unseal the CPU without breaking security.

I had the microwave back in action in about an hour. Total cost... zero.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #5

Our Magic Chef also went out on our trip last week. It's a new unit so I did some research and found out who to get in touch with. The web site address for Magic Chef is
www.mcappliance.com, you can call them also or fill out a claims form. You will need your model and serial number. After you send them this info they will email you back with a case number. Then you can fax them the sales paper for your MH ( I haven't done this yet because I don't like giving out personal info, but I will work around it some how) and then they will call or email you the name of the Magic Chef repair shop near you.

Chris and Linda Lindsay
lottabull54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:09 AM   #6

I sent in the info showing we purchased the MH with just the amount financed and nothing more. Your name must be on the contract and thats all they need. It took about an hour and Magic chef sent back a name of a repair shop for the warranty repair or replacement.

Chris and Linda Lindsay
Old 12-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
Mac

Crap

We have a 2010 Georgetown, and the "Magic" Chef microwave died after 3 months of use. Magic Chef wouldn't cover the service -- even though its new. Forest River wants you to jump through hoops and take 4 trips to the service center to get it covered: (1) drop off at appliance repair, (2) pick up from appliance repair, then send estimate to FR and get approved, then (3) drop off at RV repair, and (4) pick up at RV repair. You've got to be kidding me. Good luck if you're on the road. An honest approach would be for both FR and MC to be prepared to have a new unit shipped to a certified installer that's conveniently located on your journey -- at their expense.

Both FR and MC know full well that the unit they put in RVs is Chinese crap. They know full well that magnetrons die quickly because they are sensitive and they are subjected to a lot of bouncing in the RV.

Its more practical to replace the whole unit than the magnetron. You'll wait 30 days for a part, and it won't cost less, and you won't have a new oven.

If you value your time and sanity, forget FR and MC. Get a new oven with same dimensions from Compact Appliance online or call 1 800 297 6076. It will cost $150-200. They will ship anywhere in the US in 3 days. Install yourself (and a helper) in 1 hour.

BOHICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongrice View Post
I just purchased a 2005 Georgetown XL 375, and after the initial trip, the microwave quit working. It is a Magic Chef model. The fuse just inside the control panel on the microwave is good, I had that checked, and there is electricity getting to the plug where the MW is plugged into. Anyone have any ideas, or if there is another fuse inside?

I haven't taken it to a repair shop yet, was hoping it was something simple.

Ron
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #8

You may be right Mac, but here is whats going on now. I had a repairman come out to repair the unit. He found the problem very quick and was going to do the repairs. But as always some little something stops the repair. In this case it was the wood above the microwave, it just wasn't coming out. So instead of messing up the wood and the finish we called our dealer and sent the repairman on his way( cost $65.00). He said he would get in touch with FR and see about getting the microwave replaced. Call us back and FR is sending a new one.
That was a 9 days ago, so I called the dealer today and still no microwave. Again I think everything from FR comes by horse and wagon? We were asked to check back AFTER the holidays. Guess I will have to wait and see.

Chris and Linda

Tags
georgetown