Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 02:27 PM   #21

DW and I just completed trip to Yellowstone from STL. We drove 700 miles each day. Not because we wanted to, but because we have limited time off and would rather spend the days in Yellowstone
Old 06-20-2018, 02:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
We do 300 to 350 depending on how far apart cg are that we plan to make. Usally we are at the cg by 3pm. Later RJD
one good rule of thumb is 330 by 3:30...... 330 miles by 3:30 in pm so as to set up in light and enjoy the trip also.
retrieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
That philosophy is fine when you are retired and have all the time in the world. For those of us who still work and have limited vacation time, long driving days are sometimes required if you want spend any quality time at your destination.

I’m 73
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
We just finished a 32 day trip and the longest travel day we had was 550 miles. We started out around 6am in Dolores CO and ended up in Amarillo TX for the evening. We went long that day, so that our next day (final day) was shorter. If we stopped earlier the first day, we'd end up driving further on our last day, and we were not wanting to drive that far on the last day. We usually covered around 300 miles per day throughout the trip.
One other thing, my eyes are just not as good as they used to be and although I can, I try not to drive at night. So we take off early and try to get to our campground before sunset.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:00 PM   #25

Normally, I like to leave around Daybreak on travel day's and call it quits around 3-4 in the PM. I normally make around 400-500 miles a day. For me that is about 2 fill ups and
4 bathroom breaks with DW, Granddaughter and Minnie the camping Cavalier.
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That philosophy is fine when you are retired and have all the time in the world. For those of us who still work and have limited vacation time, long driving days are sometimes required if you want spend any quality time at your destination.
Yeah, that's the internal debate I'm trying to work through with the next Disney trip. I'm out of frequent flyer miles so we're going to have to drive it. I need to decide between rushing to get there, then get more time, but possibly being worn out during our vacation. Or do I take my time, arrive refreshed, but get less time there.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #27
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Yeah, that's the internal debate I'm trying to work through with the next Disney trip. I'm out of frequent flyer miles so we're going to have to drive it. I need to decide between rushing to get there, then get more time, but possibly being worn out during our vacation. Or do I take my time, arrive refreshed, but get less time there.

We go to Disney every year. It's 1400 miles each way and we do it in 2 days. We typically leave Friday after work and arrive at Ft Wilderness late afternoon on Sunday. After setting up we relax the rest of afternoon and get to bed early. We spend Mon - Fri in the parks and start our journey home early Saturday morning. We arrive back home Sunday evening.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:48 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We go to Disney every year. It's 1400 miles each way and we do it in 2 days. We typically leave Friday after work and arrive at Ft Wilderness late afternoon on Sunday. After setting up we relax the rest of afternoon and get to bed early. We spend Mon - Fri in the parks and start our journey home early Saturday morning. We arrive back home Sunday evening.
That's pretty much the same thing I'm planning. Take 2 nights down, so I'm not so worn out, and only 1 night back. Only, not gonna pull the camper. Looking to go in the middle of winter, and I don't feel like dealing with the overhead. Might still do the Fort, but in the cabins.

Edit: Oh, and sorry for the
Old 06-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #29
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan1981 View Post
Since I still have a job and must use leave time I make the most of travel days. On long trips from Ohio I will go 12 -13 hours and cover around 800 - 900 miles. I usually stop for gas twice since I try to fill-up before stopping for the day.
Gosh, that's half the day. Not much time for recreation at that pace.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
So as you can see that the simple question has many answer depending upon many factors.

What part of the country. Crossing Texas or Crossing Maine to New York
Time of the week
Full Trip time allowance
Interstate or Routes
Readily available gas stations
Weather
Driving into the sun in morning or driving into sun at end of day.

For me (age67) I can handle Interstate or routes driving 250 to 350 miles.
I have driven close to 400 miles but that was a very long day and slept in the next morning. I usually stop at least every 100 miles.
We also stop and have lunch and relax.

I usually try and get to campground between 2pm and 3pm before the rest od you show up.
Setup and relax and have a dinner by 5 or 6 pm

So as you can see it all dependent upon all of the above on haw far you really need to drive in one day

Bottom line is you are suppose to enjoy the journey so slow down a bit and your day will be great.

2x Iggy
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #31

miles per day

200 - 250 miles per day
rogerddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:26 PM   #32

in all our travels, we've tried to leave a park around 9am and arrive 150mi to 200mi later at the next destination around check-in time, between 1 and 2pm or so...

It doesn't always work out, but mostly it's a good compromise between 'travel' and 'rest'.

I don't want to just 'rush' to each destination, but have some afternoon time to enjoy the area or park we've arrived at, as well as have plenty of time if we want to stop somewhere along the way.

If running a long interstate, you can easily travel many hundreds of miles, but if you're more the 'scenic' roadway type, you'll never be able to amass that number of miles, at least safely, and without a lot of 'pressure' to get there.

Take your time. The Journey is just as much of the enjoyment as the destination.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
700 miles is a long way to go each day. Me, the wife and the dog just can't take that much driving.
Yeah 700 miles is a long way to go each day.....I'd be the one exhausted from the drive the Wife and two dogs would have been well rested from sleeping the whole way
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote