Old 06-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #1

Mirror drain ports

Got caught in a huge rain storm last week. I have never had a leak until now. Water was pouring into the drivers floor area. It was coming from under the dash next to the left side wall. On further investigation I could see water streaming down the wire that goes out to the Velvac mirror. At first I thought it was leaking around the seal where the mirror arm touches the side of the Motorhome so I put some silicone on it until I could get back home. At home I removed the mirror from the side of the Motorhome and water just poured out of the mirror arm. I discovered that lady bugs had made a winter home in the base of the mirror. They got in thru the weep hole at the bottom of the mirror arm and clogged it. Rain was coming in through the the mirror housing and because the drain hole was clogged it filled up the arm and where the power mirror cable comes through the wall is a large hole for the cable. The water had backed up to the point that it was just pouring through the cable hole into the floorboard. I cleaned the bugs out and filled the cable hole with silicon caulk. Checked the passenger mirror and the drain hole for it was clear but I still took the mirror off and filled the big hole where the cable comes through.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #2

Weird but good information for the rest of us.
Must of have been a very heavy rain storm .
Thanks

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #3

Yes it was a really heavy rain with lots of wind that was blowing right into the mirror. Glad I found it before it could cause any damage. I will be checking my mirror drain holes more frequently now. We have a real bad lady bug problem here in Ohio during the winter. The little buggers will get into any small opening and hibernate.

Tags
drain