Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 05:39 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateE View Post
rkulbok-I have enclosed pictures of the two cupboards that I put shelves in. The short cupboard is 22.75"deep x 16.75"wide x 35"high. The tall cupboard is 23.5" deep X 11"wide x 61"high. Both are set above a small (approximately 12" high) cupboard. I removed the hanging rod from both. The tall cupboard had a shelf just above the hang rod that I removed while leaving the shelf supports. I purchased a 10' length of 20" white wire shelving that DH cut to the desired lengths for me. I used 1" x 2" furring strips to build a frame. I actually put the shelf supports on the frame and then removed them so that the holes were already in place. If this looks like something you might like to try, I have more pictures of the building process. Oh yeah, the upper most shelf in the tall cupboard is actually an upside down shelf set on an angle. I use it for canned food, otherwise the top shelf is unreachable without a step stool.
Nicely done! Did you attach the furring strips to the cabinet walls or are they held in place by the shelves? The walls in my camper seem so thin. Thanks.
BumpyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:56 AM   #22

BumpyCamper-The furring strips in the shorter cabinet are free standing. I added, I don't know what to call them, wedges, for lack of a better (or more professional) term. The unit sits all the way to the back of the cabinet and I cut a few more pieces of the furring strip to wedge, and gorilla glue, between the front of the frame and the front of the cabinet. If the glue doesn't hold long term, putting a screw into the brace shouldn't be too hard.

The taller cabinet had one shelf in it. What was I supposed to do with one shelf above my head? I removed the shelf, but found the supports were well connected to the wall, so I incorporated them into my design. I used them to hold the frame from the top. I drilled pilot holes and then dropped screws into the frame. It feels rock solid. So far the shelves have held up well, but it's only been one month and two short trips. If you have further questions, feel free to PM me. I can give you further specifics without boring everyone else.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke
KateE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, modifications