Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2016, 10:01 PM   #181
toolman_57

Exactly what I was thinking--my wife at 5' can't reach the ceiling switches without a stool or a stick (she usually uses one of the tv remotes). You can use these things like a three way switch (at least as advertised). I bought two of the kits hoping that I could use one for the bedroom lights--didn't think about the lights in the slide-out. Here's the youtube video (has the dimmer and LED install--we don't need the LEDs)

toolman_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:50 PM   #182

Your wife has an inch on mine. one of the first things I did was replace the bathroom fans for the fantastic fan model with the remote. Worth every dime!

SternHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:30 AM   #183
toolman_57

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman_57 View Post
Exactly what I was thinking--my wife at 5' can't reach the ceiling switches without a stool or a stick (she usually uses one of the tv remotes). You can use these things like a three way switch (at least as advertised). I bought two of the kits hoping that I could use one for the bedroom lights--didn't think about the lights in the slide-out. Here's the youtube video (has the dimmer and LED install--we don't need the LEDs)
So, I tried the dimmer out. Although I have LED light strips in the ceiling fixtures, and the module that controls the LEDs is dimmable; the strip is not. The remote has 7 levels--all but the fully on, level 3 and fully off create a high pitch whistle and only one level of dim-ness (about half). I also discovered that the three lights controlled by the switch under the TV cabinet have just two wires each--in other words, I can't use one dimmer in the ceiling to control all three lights.

I also discovered that the 12V fuse panel in the bedroom has a separate circuit/fuse for the 3 front lights and a separate circuit/fuse for the other 4 ceiiing lights--master bath, two in the bedroom, and one in the hallway)--it might also control the front bath, but didn't check. I may be able to install the dimmer behind the fuse panel--assuming the range on the dimmer can handle the distance from the front to the back.

My other problem is the light strips--I ordered some high intensity LED light strips to replace the strips in the light fixtures. The strips that are in the ceiling are 4" long with 12 LEDs--pretty dense (36/ft), and probably why they require a controller circuit. The strips I ordered are 18/ft, so I'll need two 4" strips to match the intensity. These strips won't require the controller circuit that came with the light fixtures, so they should work OK with the dimmer I purchased.

So this is turning into a science project--more to follow.
toolman_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #184

Don't want to add to your project but it would be nice to replace that light switch under the counter with something that glows when off. Would make it easier for the kids to find and act as sort of a nightlight above the sink. If you happen to find something like that in your searching please post the link to it. Thanks

SternHappens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications