Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #161

I wish they would make that counter extension available as an accessory on their website. It's a great idea
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:17 PM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by SternHappens View Post
Toolman 57, can you give some details on the inverter rewire? was that all accomplished under the sink somewhere?
x2 thank you
borba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #163
dfp

Glad I just found this thread. I am a new Georgetown owner, 2015 GT 310 DS, and most of the warranty issues have been resolved. I am now looking at a few mods of my own. An inverter is needed and I am looking at a Magnum MS2012/20B. The problem is that the batteries are towards the front of the rig and the compartment with existing charger and etc. is at the rear. Basement storage is limited, nothing that is enclosed or sealed from the weather is close to the batteries. Looks like at least 40 feet of number 1 wire would be needed. Not the most efficient installation plan. Any ideas?

I have added the MaxAir powered fan and cover and also plan to take the couch out to be replaced by two easy chairs.

David Pierce
2010 Subaru Forester Towed
dfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post
Glad I just found this thread. I am a new Georgetown owner, 2015 GT 310 DS, and most of the warranty issues have been resolved. I am now looking at a few mods of my own. An inverter is needed and I am looking at a Magnum MS2012/20B. The problem is that the batteries are towards the front of the rig and the compartment with existing charger and etc. is at the rear. Basement storage is limited, nothing that is enclosed or sealed from the weather is close to the batteries. Looks like at least 40 feet of number 1 wire would be needed. Not the most efficient installation plan. Any ideas?

I have added the MaxAir powered fan and cover and also plan to take the couch out to be replaced by two easy chairs.

David Pierce
It is always advantageous to install the invertor closest to the battery power. That way it is minimal power loss on the DC side.
Also it would be easier and more cost effective to run 120 volt AC #14 romex to the outlets you want powered.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #165
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

As iggy said, if you're going to run wire run the A/C side the longest length. Much easier and cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #166
dfp

Mods to My Georgetown

David Pierce
Old 09-20-2016, 09:05 PM   #167
toolman_57

Quote:
Originally Posted by borba View Post
x2 thank you
Wow. I haven't checked the forum in over a month. My mods are to the 364 so I'm not sure if they'll work on your MH. Anyhoo, the short story is that I tapped into the junction box behind the inverter--the power line going to the fridge. I ran the outdoor romex out of the inverter bin through an existing hole, along the frame to the battery compartment and up through the existing hole going under the sink cabinet. I ran this wire into the existing outlet in the cabinet next to the entry way. I capped off and taped the wire that was previously wired to the outlet.

The TV in the 364 is above the sink. Behind my TV I have a UPS box that powers the TV, Dish receiver and Tivo (i know--we call it glam-ping). When I'm not on shore or gen power, I run the UPS power wire to the outlet next to the sink and power it from the inverter.

I have since added another cable to the outlet under sink and ran it under the MH to the left front slider to power my theater recliner seats (actually all the outlets in the slider).

It all works pretty well. It's nice to have the power in the slider for the grandkids to use their laptops/charge their phones, etc. when sitting at the table/in the chairs going down the road and my wife is very happy with the ability to watch the recorded shows on TV. That 2000W inverter handles it all without any issue. The power from the engine alternater keeps the batteries topped off as long as we're moving--but the four batteries on the other hand can drain pretty quickly so we have to take it easy when dry camping. You should pictures of these mods earlier in this thread. If not, send me a note and I'll forward my pictures in an email.
toolman_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:19 PM   #168
toolman_57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouownbeer View Post
Did you remove the hinged seat cushions so those cots Sit flat? Do you have link to that specific cot? Thanks
Sorry, haven't been on the forum for a while.

I gave up on the cot idea after the first time trying to use it. The air mattress wasn't stable/safe on the two cots. The cots were stable, but too long to get around between the fridge and the end of the cots. I think there's a solution to be had, but not "off the shelf."
Old 09-21-2016, 11:16 AM   #169
dfp

Inverter installation research

Dear Toolman,

I'm working on a number of problems, the first is how to manage and work with this web page because I respond to something but soon to forget exactly where that was.

We have just moved from a Safari Trek so am trying to copy what we had there. I should be able to tie into the circuits from shore power and geneset at just one point with the inverter and power all 110 plugs or am I missing something.? I will also be adding solar at some point as we do a lot of boon docking.

As for TV, we need it for the grandchildren and I am thinking of going for the Tailgater unit. The electric driven comfort chairs sound interesting as we are getting rid of the couch but were thinking of lounge chairs.

David
suedavidpierce@gmail.com
206 491 0045
Old 09-22-2016, 04:55 PM   #170
dfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SternHappens View Post
toolman 57 Great ideas. I thought about the 5star tune. What is your opinion, do you think it was worth it or only marginal?
I'm new to the Georgetown Forester w/V10 but what is a 5star tune and does it impact the warranty?

David
2015 GT310DS
Old 09-23-2016, 12:06 PM   #171
toolman_57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post
I'm new to the Georgetown Forester w/V10 but what is a 5star tune and does it impact the warranty?

David
2015 GT310DS
Modifies the fuel maps and shifting points that ford programed into the onboard computer. They send you a kit and software specific to the serial number of your onboard computer--you download and save the factory program and upload the new program into the computer. There is a possibility that it could impact your ford 3-year warranty--use at your own risk. For some ford engines 5star will replace your warranty if there are issues, but as far as I know they don't cover our F53 chassis v-10.

You can set the programming back to original but there may be ways for the dealer/ford to find out that you changed the programming. Also some states don't like you to mess with the tuning of your vehicle.

Those are your risks for the first three years. I really like the added power and torque (not much but I can feel it) and I especially like the change in shift points and the use of 4th gear. Here's the info: Got a 1998-2015 V10 RV? - 5 Star Tuning
Old 09-23-2016, 08:38 PM   #172

Added the 5-Star Tune one year after buying my 2015 GT. Yes, there is a little more power, but the bigger plus is the shifting sequence makes it all so much smother. Very few screaming 5,000 rpm shifts. And, because of that, it's a lot quieter in the coach since shifting is more efficient. On top of all this, I am getting about 2-5% better mileage. With the driving I do, it will pay for itself in about a year.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:15 AM   #173

was it a pain to power that tv and plugs i dont know why 2000 inverter to power a refridge
jplacz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:41 PM   #174
dfp

Inverter installation research

Inverter to be installed with a friend approx November 12 then I will know.

David
Old 11-04-2016, 06:54 AM   #175
toolman_57

See page 2 of this thread for my inverter mod. I get the inverter power to the outlet in the entry-way--in the sink cabinet. I have a UPS (power supply) in the cabinet above the sink and when I'm traveling, I plug the power supply into the outlet. Not real clean but didn't want to do anything too drastic. This mod took me about 2 hours.

Since then I've also run power to the dining/couch slide-out to power the recliners I installed in place of the couch. I've never popped a circuit breaker or overloaded the inverter--that thing is a beast.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #176

I was able to get ac power to my front tv's, plugin by table, and to the two by the bed. I just ordered a 2nd relay, then I ran a heavy duty extension cord from the 2nd plug on the inverter to the rear where my panel is. Thant plugged into the relay, and then I choose the breaker that I wanted to change. The wiring was the easiest part of this mod. This gives the ability for the grandkid to watch his tv when we are going down the road, it also lets us have clocks beside the bed when we are boondocking.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:14 AM   #177
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Toolman, where did you get your recliners? I've thinking of doing the same, but wondered about walkway width when slide is closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #178
toolman_57

Found them on craigslist--so don't really have an answer to the make/model. The ones I have do need about 10 inches clearance in the back to ensure that nothing hits the window cranks. They don't fully recline when the slide is closed--the foot rests will hit the cabinet before going completely level--but my wife is OK with it. We had one incident where my wife went too far and tipped the chair back against the window crank--broke the handle off--so there are drawbacks. Overall, we're really happy with the chairs--except my wife hardly ever rides up front with me.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:35 PM   #179
toolman_57

Not sure if everyone has these, but I was researching a way to dim my three front ceiling lights (controlled by the switch under the tv cabinet. I found a battery powered remote control dimmer for LEDs that installs above the light fixture and figured I'd replace the bulbs with LEDs. Well, a nice surprise--when I popped the cover off one of the fixtures, I found an LED strip. After researching the part number (had to remove the light to look behind the base)--it looks like the LED controller is dimmable. Once I get the parts in and see if it all works, I'll post my install notes.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #180

Toolman_57, a dimmer for the fronts lights sounds very interesting. I would love to be able to dim the overhead lights in the bed slide, preferably with a control on the sidewall without having to stretch like rubberman to get to the switch, not that I ever use them as they emit what seems like the brightness of the sun when it is evening and dark. The way we work around it is I found a clamp on three way light that is clamped on at each side valence with the light pointed up so you get a good reflection off the ceiling for seeing the remote or reading if you needed to.

SternHappens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications