Old 06-25-2015, 09:59 AM   #1
Motor home newby (almost)

Hi everyone! We're from Oregon and looking to purchase a 2015 Georgetown 280 out of California. This will be our first experience with an RV (of any kind!) We feel fairly comfortable with the quality of the Georgetown, but would love feedback on that. But mainly, we are wondering how this size Georgetown handles on the highway. The axle ratio (wheelbase to overall length) is only at about .51 ... we have the Columbia River Gorge (known for it's heavy winds) to contend with and are concerned about the sway factor. Would love to hear about your experience!

mariskempy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
I Break Everything
We have a new 351, I'm no technical genius by any stretch, but ours handles well. Make sure you do a test drive and find out who/where your first front end alignment will take place, because it will. (generally only a 90 warranty on front end alignments, I found out)

I noticed a little pull in ours, I wasn't sure if it was normal. We've been pulling 5th wheels for a while. After reading threads on this forum I took it in for a front end alignment. Most dealers do not do them due to the space needed. We found out we had a bent front axle from the factory. Took about 2 months to fix. Well, it only took a couple of days to fix. It took about a close to 2 months to get the axle to central Texas.

Everything is fine now. We're heading out to Niagara and Boston next week.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS MH
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
Thanks Mike, do you have any idea what the ratio is on yours? Don't even know if we should be worried about that, maybe we've done too much reading!
mariskempy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:37 PM   #4
Welcome fellow Oregonians!
We have a 351DS and have driven up and down the Gorge (plus up and down hwy 97) and haven't had many issues with sway.
The only driving issues we have had is when the wind has been high and blowing sideways to the road. My husband strained his hand on it last year when we were driving from Bend to Vantage on 97 (bend to biggs junction mostly) but that was the only place it was that bad.
the 280 is couple of feet shorter, so hopefully not quite as big a "sail" on that one.

Be sure to ask lots of questions on this forum, you can learn so much!

2015 Georgetown 351DS
Chris, Garren (humans)
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:17 PM   #5

we have a 335 and it handled ok at first got front end alignment then did the CHF (cheap handling fix) and it is great going down the road. More info on CHF just do a search there is a lot of articles out here.
siskom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:06 PM   #6
Contact FR ASAP ( within the first 30 days) after purchase and tell them that the rig is hard to handle while driving down the highway.
They will give approval to take it to a Ford Commercial truck dealer to have the front end aligned. Also if the steering wheel is not centered tell them also.

Here is my latest contact information for FR Georgetown warranty folks.
If someone has more recent contacts please tell us the name, phone number and email address to help others.

Georgetown Service and Warranty

Justin, 574-206-7600 or 574-534-3167

Deann Dygulski in Georgetown Sales
(574) 296-7700

2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:05 PM   #7
We have a 2015 Georgetown 364TS. There are some significant problems, but all are associated with the Ford F53 engine and chassis. (We really love the interior especially the king bed and two full baths.) The three big problems are: 1. Engine is very loud when in passing gear. I frequently see the engine at 5,000 rpm on even modest hills and it is really loud, 2. Lack of torque. The V10 just doesn't have much power. Plan on spending a lot of time in the right lane with everyone passing you when you're on a hill. Finally, 3. Sway! Boy, is there a problem with sway. It manifests itself in the need for constant steering input. More than one Forum member reported arriving at their destination fatigued just from fighting the never-ending sway. Crosswinds, passing 18-wheelers, and especially the small lip at the edge of the pavement at the white line (that can really throw you...not the edge of the pavement, but the place where the pavement transitions to a lower level). Here is what I've done: Wheel alignment (FR pays if within about first 90 days). Check and recheck tire pressure. It's important. For $1,800, I had a rear tracbar and a front steering stabilizer added. While they are both good ideas, the improvement was negligible. For another $800, I added a Roadmaster rear, heavy duty (1 & 3/4") sway bar. That has made the most difference so far. Probably should have done that first. Also, the dealer suggested new, heavy duty shocks all around, but I don't hear that mentioned much on the Forum. Regarding the CHF, on a Georgetown moving the position of the front sway bar link causes the arms of the bar to hit the leaf springs when turning. So, FR told me to put it back in the front position where it was. A few guys say they don't notice the sway, but more say, "Get used to it, remember, you're driving a gasseer. If you wanted no sway, you should have purchased a DP". Don't forget what I said at the beginning, the coach is really great. You should also keep in mind that most gassers have a problem with sway. So, buying some other brand won't solve the problem.
2015 GT 364TSF
Vince and Charlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:20 AM   #8
When it's windy most any home is fun to drive. Just slow down and pay attention to clearings and bridges where the wind will gust. Remember, your in a home. If it gets to rough just pull off the road put your feet up and relax.

jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote