Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2016, 01:54 PM   #1

Motorhomes different sales pitches

I'm going to jump right into this.....
I'm getting ready to purchase a motorhome. I know a used one is the you should buy( obvious $$$ ). My question is a 2 part one
New or used??
One that is used.....why at 1 yr. old it's even for sale? A lemon or a trade in? What to look out for?
A new one is sweet because you don't buy someone's dirt. You have a brand new one to figure out what it needs(I'm aware of the QC in ALL RV's)

New or used........some pros/cons

I hope this is written well enough to understand.
Thanks in advance to all who respond. I've been lurking on this site for a good while. Fantastic site. LOTS OF SEASONED RVers
Happy Trails........Craig
craigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:27 PM   #2

old then new..

Craig,

For my wife and I we bought a used Class A gas motorhome over 4 years ago and drove it everywhere. The first owner traded it in and we bought it from the dealer. Previous owner was very helpful with lots of paper work and service records. We loved it but soon became aware we wanted a new one. Yes new is more expensive but I wanted one which no one else had owned and we would have a long term warranty.

Our first was a 2000 Holiday Ramber...Nice unit...paid $26,000 and invested another $4000 into her...when we traded her we bought a new Legacy DP...360 RB...Paid $145,000 new with a 10 year warranty...Yes I have a nice payment...but soon Home will be paid off and need an interest deduction....

But I do love the quiet of the DP as well as the better gas mileage..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 095.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	99199   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2944.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	766.9 KB
ID:	99200  
Blacknchromehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:49 PM   #3

If you buy a new one depending on if its a 2016 or a 2015 they all make the dealer money. Let's use a figure of $150,000 MSRP as a standard.
I have found that in reality you buy it at that price you lose $30,000 -$40,000 when
you drive it off the lot.

With any large dealer with a good service center you should be able to buy the above $150,000 rig for $110,000 - $120,000.
The older 2015's should be a better deal and get closer to $100,000
One note... Never buy the extended warranty but save the $2,000 in your bank account.

Now if you are watching your dollars and want to save but a used rig that is 1 or 2 years old with low mileage. The Ford engine and chassis is solid and don't have many issues as I have had my 2012 now with 40,000 plus miles on it and have my AC compressor replaced and a sway bar bracket replaced by Ford under warranty.

If you buy used even if it has come cosmetic issues is not a deal breaker. The amount of money you save will easily off set that.
Now I would look around for a good rig with an interior I like. Bed size is the only thing that matters to me and all the rest, appliances, floor, cabinets, lights are mostly the same in all rigs.
Depending on how you plan on using your rig full time, part time, or just local casual use you may think about other things like type of flooring, electric fire place, Getting the Georgetown XL model instead of the plain jane Georgetown.
The XL has many extras that is worth finding one. Exterior paint with clear coat and not stencils, exterior access door and locks different, double pane windows, electric front shade, and a few other things like convection oven instead of just a microwave oven.
Now if you have basic mechanical abilities the used one would same you lots of dollars and gain the enjoyment of taking care of your rig yourself.
Price for a 2 or 3 year old model with low mileage (2,000- 3,000) and good condition should range between $85,000 and $90,000 which is a good savings.
If you have cash you can find great deals on Craigslist to see what the used prices are in your area. Sometime people buy and find out it takes time and money to run one of theses and try to sell them after a few years. That is why I like watching Craigslist for good deals.

Now you found new or used to buy.
You need to full test , examine and dealer or owner to show you how everything works before you do the final cash transfer. You will read here about folks having rigs years and not knowing the basics about their rigs. Coach battery location and condition, location and use of all the water lines and valves, what you need to do prior to winter in cold areas.
If you have a friend that you trust have them take a close examination of the rig as if he/she was buying it. If you find anything that seems to be costly this can help you negotiate the final price. Such things as irregular worn front tire which may need a frontend alignment and new tires. Leaking hydraulic system for levelers and slides, oil leaks on engine, old oil in engine, these things need to be addresses before you buy. See if you have a local RV repair shop that will inspect the rig for you for $100 and give you a report.

Now if you buy new make sure you during the PDI is in writing and don't grab the rig and leave to find out the issues. I left my motorhome at the dealer to take care of all issues before I drove it off. They want it off the lot so they take care of things quicker.

Don't get me wrong about buying your motorhome. It is a great way to enjoy life, family and see great new places. All you need is the money, time wanting to enjoy the travel.

Hope this short message will help you make your final decision in your selection.

Just remember
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigi View Post
...One that is used.....why at 1 yr. old it's even for sale?
If it's someone like me, they traded up because they wanted something different or bigger.
Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:09 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Or if it's like my buddy, he bought an S.O.B. that was a P.O.S., and couldn't get out of it quick enough.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:19 PM   #6

Just thought I would add that if you are going gas you might try and get a deal on a 2016 with a 2016 chassis. The new 6 speed transmission makes a huge difference in performance but more importantly noise.

As to the XL, I LOVE their big basement doors and bigger chassis but in the end I got everything else (exterior paint, bigger wheels, etc..) as an XL. The reason I opted for new was the 2016 chassis and I actually paid less for my new one than used ones were going for.

I was told that my floorpan was the best selling bunkhouse model out of all the brands last year and it has only been available since the 2015 model year so I didn't have a lot to choose from.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #7

New is new and your not going to find a used one as good as new .that being said yes the down side is $20.000 to 30.000 grand loss but there is a up side to new. First off if you take good care of from the start you can drive it ten years with no problems you get a factory warranty the price of money you will get Lower interest rate on new do the math on a 20 year loan one or two points
Is real money also think about the sales tax you will save by not having to buy a nother RV in five years that my out look on new vs used good luck no matter what way you go it's all about family and fun
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #8

With us buying the new one my interest rate was 1.3 % lower...same 15 years but as mentioned I bought mine for $145,000 when others had them advertised for $160,000 and up...plus a warranty and the knowledge that she was mine from new...and if anything came up it would be covered...But I do believe my 1100 mile round trip saved me $15000...that's a lot of cash in my pocket..Plus the long drive home I could test her
Old 02-09-2016, 10:12 PM   #9

Older Motorhome purchased by the dealer when the dollar was at par in Canada maybe good value. New ones, the dollar going to make them significantly more. Pulled the plug in 2015 for this reason.

Also in Canada you cannot write the interest off.

Dave

Dave & Michelle
2015 Georgetown 270SS
Calgary, Alberta
dhind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:22 PM   #10

Believe it or not, there are people who've never camped who go out and drop $150K on a motor home, only to find out they don't like camping. Hence, a 1 year old unit for sale.

Sometimes a couple buys a new MH and 6 months later one of them dies or develops a medical condition that precludes them from camping (my parents did this, although in their case, the MH was about 4 yrs old by then). Hence a 1 year old unit for sale.

Sometimes a couple buys a new MH, but then something about it bugs them, so they trade for another one. Hence a 1 year old unit for sale.

There are probably another half dozen similar "good" reasons for a 1 year old unit to be for sale.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #11

We purchased our first MH used from an individual. Lots of little, irritating problems which DH fixed.

After 2 years, we purchased another used MH (apx 13 months old and only 7000 miles) from a dealer. Not so many problems.

We kept it for 11 years and traded for a new one from a dealer. A few minor problems and lots of personalization. It's alittle over 2 years old and we still love it.
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #12

I bought a new class A gas coach. I got prices on the same coach from multiple dealers in several states to use as negotiation leverage at my local dealer. As a result the price of my new coach was less than where used coaches are priced. I like to think that now that we are more experienced that our next coach (diesel) might be used
dirievi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:50 AM   #13

There's a good reason to buy used for a first motor home. It has nothing to do with price or quality, but is a function of your requirements. The problem is that you don't know what your requirements are before your first purchase. It's only after you've spent some time using it that you discover what your actual needs and desires are. Once you've learned this, you can make a much more intelligent decision about what to buy.

One of the best examples of this type of process is what happened to IBM when they introduced the personal computer. They offered the machine to employees at a discounted price and had more requests for the system than marketing said would be sold over the entire life of the product!

That said, the DW and I purchased a new Georgetown for our first motor home. While it is the first we've "owned", we did spend over a month in one many many years ago when we took a 7+k mi tour with the kids around a good portion of the US. Our biggest mistake with the purchase was not getting a 4-season rig, something we didn't understand about from our earlier trip.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
There's a good reason to buy used for a first motor home. It has nothing to do with price or quality, but is a function of your requirements. The problem is that you don't know what your requirements are before your first purchase. It's only after you've spent some time using it that you discover what your actual needs and desires are. Once you've learned this, you can make a much more intelligent decision about what to buy.

Phil
I couldn't agree more! We bought our Georgetown 328TS new, and while not unhappy with it, there are some things that I now know that I want on my next RV. I've heard the same reasoning about building your first house...
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Or if it's like my buddy, he bought an S.O.B. that was a P.O.S., and couldn't get out of it quick enough.
Did He throw out the "SOS" Youroo!!
Old 02-12-2016, 07:50 AM   #16

I personally bought new because a diesel pusher was in my retirement plan, which was about eight years from when we purchased it. I will have it payed off by then and since I am the original owner, I will make sure it is maintained. I guess that I could have saved the money until I retired and bought a new coach then, but I would be missing out on eight years of enjoyment with a great coach. Also, as mentioned in a previous post, the loan interest is deductible as a second home.
I know of a couple of people that started with class a gassers and within a short time decided to go with a dp. This would explain some of the 1 year old coaches for sale.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #17

While in Daytona last January I met a guy who had a Gas class A. He had just sold his DP and said he couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Loved his new gas unit that he had just driven 2200 miles to get there. I guess that's why there are so many used DPs out there.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:33 AM   #18

To be fair, gas units are what most entry level, read inexperienced, people buy, especially families.

Some buy on emotion and after a light use, figure out what they need. There are many examples of people going from gas to gas on these forums alone.

I think the new 2016 F53 Ford chassis will start to turn the tide. I am not saying it is remotely close to a DP in ride, but it is a quantum leap in for class a gas comfort.

Before the new chassis, you were acutely aware you were driving gas. Now you are acutely aware you driving a motorhome.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:55 AM   #19

Many people don't have $250,000 - $500,000 plus interest to buy a Diesel pusher.
That is why so many would rather save a few hundred thousand and buy a gasser.
Someone told me a long time ago that the gasser makes more noise while driving but it's just as quiet as a diesel when parked in a campground.
Most people drive their rigs 10% of the time on the road but spend 90% of their time in a beautiful camp setting. I'm willing to put up with a little more noise 10% of the time and save hundreds of thousands of dollars so I can spend more time in beautiful locations.
Did I mention these days how cheap gas has been getting.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #20

Why does every one think a DP is $500,000....I travel across the USA every summer...6-8000 miles so the engine noise does become an issue..My DP was less than $200,000 and will be mine for many years...rather have this than a boat or a cabin in the Mts somewhere...Diesel is actually cheaper than gas for now...and my DP gets much better MPG than my Gas unit ever did...oh and it pulls my trailer behind me with ease...

Tags
motorhome