Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #1

Mountain Driving

I had my real first experience with some of the Pennsylvania mountains with grades ranging from 6% to 13% - GPS took me on this crazy route PA 43. I have a GT 373 2008 gasser that I drove and was scared to death. Here is how I moved the big rolling turd over these mountains - when approaching the incline I would down shift to 3, 2, or 1 depending on the grade. The Big Turd would decline in speed and crawl the incline. Once I'm at the top I would leave it in the same gear that I just crawled up with to control the breaking. I monitored the transmission, oil, temperature guages and never once did any of them change. Here is what I would like to know:

1. When I shifted to gear 3 and realized in needed to really go to gear 2 or 1 I never pressed the brakes since I was really worried about slowing the motorhome even more. Do you think I did any damanage by not pressing the brakes when shifting to lower gears?
2. How do you folks who live in Colorado etc. manage to drive the mountains?
3. I am officially scared now to venture out west as this past experience was a bit much for me and I am looking for others who have overcome this type of fear. I simply felt that anytime the motorhome could have just stopped and I would be stuck on an incline and I was not prepared or skilled on what I should do if this were to happen. Do you have any suggestion or experiences on this?
4. For those of you who have venture from the east coast to the west coast via gas motorhome how did you do and what was your mountain experience?

Thanks for your feedback!

Shortyhttp://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif
Old 06-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #2

We must have the same GPS. Ours took us the same route. We were in a 4x4 truck pulling a 30 ft. TT,it was no better than you said! I put it in 4x4 low to go down the grades. Did you Pray a lot? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I haven't driven too many mountains but the ones I have I first push the button to put it in Tow Mode. It not only helps with braking but excelleration is a bit better as well. I changed my air filter intake to the Banks Cold Air System. It has a K&N Air Filter and allows more air in. It also gave my uphill travels a kick in the pants as well. Before I felt the same way, my speeds would decline as I climbed the hills and the farther I pushed the pedal, the less it seemed to do until it would downshift and then scream up the hill around 4200 RPM as I watched the gas gauge drop. I now am able to maintain speeds at lower RPMs without really pushing down too hard. I'm sure part of it is I've gotten better at my approach to the hills. I try to get as much momentum as possible when I see them coming.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #4

Youroo - I am still thinking about that experience even though I made it. It sure is something I never want to experience again. I am still thinking about it and just needing others to help me through this because now I do not want to even head out west if I have to experience anything like this again. I will do just fine running up and down the east coast.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #5

the passes out west are even higher. LOL

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #6

Well, I don't have a MH but a TT and go into the mountains here in Colorado quite a bit. Some of the same applies and mostly I just leave the TV in tow/haul mode and all I have to do is tap the brakes a bit and it automatically starts engine braking to slow on the downhill and if need be will automatically downshift another gear to slow even more. On the uphill side it help a great deal as well in keeping the RPM in a range that is usable. Don't get the best mileage (7.5 average last trip up, 10.5 roundtrip) but its to be expected.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #7

You won't damage anything when downshifting like that, if you are in excess of the range allowed it shouldn't downshift, however it will sound like it when you start rapping up the RPM's suddenly. It is best to use the brake as you downshift, just don't ride the brakes, pump the brakes to slow as if you are approaching an intersection with a red light, then let up.

As for the GPS, they are great tools and I absolutely love them, however, they should never eliminate the use of maps, rather augment your collection of maps. Always check the route and reference it to a map, preferably to a topo map. This will prevent you from taking a bad road. One issue with the map on the GPS screen is all your minor roads look the same, where as a paper map is graded quite well for your secondary and tertiary roads. There are incidences of GPS maps getting people lost with direct routes on tertiary roads, locally a couple was lost, one was found 7 weeks later, the other has yet to be found.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #8

I agree with all the comments. Don't let the mountains scare you, just be prepared to take your time climbing the hills, put the trans into tow mode and it will shift into the proper gear. Going down long hills, I like to shift down one gear, and then slow the rig down using the brakes on and off, not letting them heat up. Going up a long inclinde, patience is the word.
Hankster, 2007 359TS
Heading for the Rally in Redmond Oregon
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #9

Thanks guys - I truly feel better that at least what I did was correct. I just now have to gain confidence that going slow up the mountain is ok and the my motorhome will not stall out on me. I will start to review paper maps more for sure as I was soley relying on the GPS to get me to my destination. Thanks a bunch!!!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty View Post
I will start to review paper maps more for sure as I was soley relying on the GPS to get me to my destination.
there are numerous tragic stories of people who relied only on their GPS, resulting in their death or others with them.
here in California, there have been a number of these incidents. some ending up on desert dirt roads and others lost in frozen wilderness. all because they had not looked at maps and trusted their GPS solely.
i'm a map geek and only gave into the GPS thing reluctantly.
the DW's new car has a built-in Garmin that's removable.
so, since i'm the one with any tech ability, i had to learn how to use it.
i still will use a map first and only use the GPS, once i get to the city or town we going to, to find the street.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #11

Thanks Bikendan - I have already started to research the maps I need to have. Trust me I will not be without a map anymore and my GPS will not be my sole directions for getting me to my next destination. Do you have any recommendations on paper maps that I should add?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #12
Site Team

i always have a pile of AAA maps, tour books and campgrounds books for the states i'm going to.
i also have a national map and a western states map.
it also doesn't hurt to have some kind of orientation to where you're going. like which way is north, south, east and west. and knowing what borders the sides of the states.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #13

Got me a truckers road atlas. Highlights the roads that are safe for semi-trailers. I try to stay on those roads when I map out my route. My set up is 56 ft long and I don't want any surprises like tight switchbacks.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #14

Ibrjet - I will definately look into a truckers map for sure.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #15

Good advice. Gps's are great but are a tool and you should never head out on a trip without maps, afterall, what would happen if the gps crapped totally...you need maps.
Traveling mountain passes....one rule of thumb...if you climbed up in 2nd or 3rd or 1st you sure as heck will need to decend in the same gear you went up on. Use tow haul mode, take your time and never ride the breaks. I have climbed passes with 7 percent grades for over 15 miles...these units will handle that. Keep the rpm's up and that will help to keep the old tranny cool. I never met a pass I couldn't conquer. It just takes a little patience and practise.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #16

Good advice from TOMJSAS. Tow/haul mode, tap brakes, downshift to lower gears on steep decents. Don't get in a hurry. We hit two passes whenever we go from Montrose to Gunnison and usually only make about 35. I've also driven over Mighty Monarch, Eisenhower Tunnel and Vale Passes. My main advice is try to relax and enjoy the scenery out that big front window. Oh, and pull over once in a while to let the parade behind you to pass.
RANGERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:49 AM   #17

Problem with many GPS units are that they are set for the shortest routes or fastest time. Both can get you in trouble. Some even have a setting for major highways only. To be safe, though it may take more miles (but usaully faster and safer set it to major highways only.
Fourn3833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #18

I had a workhorse powered Bounder before I bought this 378. The workhorse with the 8.1 and allison 6 speed with tranny brake was far better in the rockies going up or down than this coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	6284  
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #19

We've not ventured up or down any sort of real mountain yet but hope to do a southern Utah trip this fall. I just ordered "Mountain Directory West for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers" but haven't received it yet.

We'll be towing a '99 Jeep Wrangler and I wonder if unhitching & driving separately is advisable on days when traveling over the steeper inclines/declines.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #20

We just moved out to Colorado and had our first chance to take the motorhome through the Eisenhower tunnel. At 11,000ft the v10 really runs out of air and it could only maintain around 35mph on the long 6% grades. Tranny and water temps never budged from normal. Staying in the right lane you will often find yourself behind a slower moving semi-truck with not enough power to pass. Downhill in 3rd or 2nd gear made it easy to stay off the brakes. Adhere to the speed warnings posted for big trucks and you'll have no problems.

Taking your time and enjoying the scenery is great advice.

My neighbor at the Tiger Run RV resort in Breckenridge had a 625hp Newell. He said he could hold 52mph on the same section but his 400hp Country Coach only did 35mph.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote