Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #1

mountain road on US 30 in Pa

We will be going on our first trip finally to gettysburg pa from the pittsburgh pa area .We were wondering has anyone traveled going I-76 to Breezewood then going on US 30 eastbound to Gettysburg. Is there a problem will the mountains there ? They look like 8 or 9 percent grades. I figured drop to first gear and put the towhaul engage and ride the mountains down. Any information would be a great help. We have a 350f Georgetown and are going May 25. thanks in advance
bojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:51 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Stay away from Rte 30 between Breezewood & Gettysburg. My daughter went to college at Geneva in Beaver Falls PA. We decided to travel across Rte 30 from Hanover through Gettyburg to Breezewood. It was raining and had to be one of the most terrifying trips of my life. Extremely sharp turns and bad grades. There are a few houses that are literally feet from the road. It felt like we were driving in the clouds and the road just disappeared from time to time. Personally I'd avoid it at all costs. I was driving our Durango not the motorhome.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #3

Rte 30 is not the best road, I have done it with a TT and it can be done but it is slow at times. If you continue on 76 to Cumberland Highway 997, south to Rte 30 at Fayetteville, that is the truck route to Gettysburg and it adds only about 20 min to the total trip time. Your other choice is south through Hagerstown and up 81 back to Rte 30,that route will add about 30 min to the total trip. BTW. Rte 30 east of 81 is much better that the span from Breezewood to 81.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Traveling from Philadelphia, I always go I-76 (PA turnpike) to Rt 15 South to 30 West (Lincoln Highway) into town.

Very easy drive and due to no lights on I-76 and 60 plus MPH the whole way, is actually faster than 30 (from the east). From the west, the truck route would be much better from the look of it.

FROM THE EAST

There is a circle in the center of Gettysburg that is pretty easy to navigate OR you can take the next exit (RT 116) west and avoid the circle, but you will need to make some turns in town that might be hard for a "longish" rig. My 29 foot 5th wheel camper had no trouble.

Also the bridge west out of town on 116 (towards the two campgrounds there; the Gettysburg KOA and Gettysburg Campground) is under construction and is one lane each way with a traffic signal for control.

They are getting it ready for the 150TH anniversary next year.

The stream bridge is no problem though a little white knuckle. However, if the turn for Gettysburg campground is RIGHT after the construction and a VERY sharp turn. The guard rails to the right are crushed in from long campers hitting it trying to make the turn into the camp ground.

From the WEST

Never tried it but you will still need to deal with the bridge on 116
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gettysburg.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	14206  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #5

Thank you -- we will travel to I-81 instead of US30.
bojack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad