Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
Suggesting blanket use of hazard flashers while driving is not recommended...too many states disallow flasher use in this manner:

Hazard Light Use - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

If posted as allowed, by all means...
Most highways will have a sign saying flasher use below and a speed listed.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofTucson View Post
I drove truck for a short time and the rule of thumb that I used was don't go down any faster than you could go up. I usually go down approximately 10 mph faster than I went up. I agree with waiter2. I keep the revs between 3 and 4000 by manually shifting at the top of the hill
Don't go down any faster than you are willing to turn it into the mountain or guard rail if brakes fail. On steep descents I am usually 25 or so.
mwdilday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
Don't go down any faster than you are willing to turn it into the mountain or guard rail if brakes fail. On steep descents I am usually 25 or so.

It isn't about the speed up or down a mountain it's really about how to manage the transmission and the engine so that I'm not depending on brakes. We're learning how to manage this adventure.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #24

16 or 17

Ok but how do you know if it's a five speed or six speed?
Rvlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Most highways will have a sign saying flasher use below and a speed listed.
And almost all states require you use pull-outs to let backed up traffic by. Here in the Evergreen State delay of 5 or more vehicles is illegal. Not all highways have multiple lanes going up the hills. They do usually have pull outs that they expect slow traffic to use.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #26

We have traveled that route twice coming from IA to Durango and west. We tow Honda CR-V four down and we had no issues up or down the highest mountains. Tow haul was used and I set the cruise control to desired speed going down hill (usually 35mph) and let the engine do the work. Except for one really steep grade, it worked every time. The one exception was somewhat my fault, since I didn't set cruise control at lower speed; set it at 45mph and that was too fast. However, going up mountains we were passing all the semi's and even some DP. That V-10 has some guts to it.
Days Camped 2017 = 56
Days Camped 2018 = 74
MSB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #27

Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 is a piece of cake.

I always have the diesel truck in tow/haul when towing.

Going up to the tunnel from the east it pretty much stays with the traffic.

Going down it shifts and engages the engine brake as needed to maintain a safe speed. Every so often I use the brakes to assist the engine brake to go slower when I don't like the speed.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Tow mode on the 2017 ford SD also increases RPM in each gear.

I have a '17 SD. How does this work? I've only ever gotten it to drop gears in tow mode.

2013 Wildwood 26TBSS
SDShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDShocker View Post
I have a '17 SD. How does this work? I've only ever gotten it to drop gears in tow mode.
There is a button on the dash that activates the exhaust brake on the diesel.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:14 PM   #30

Quote:
pg 221 in the 2017 manual

Diesel Engine Braking (If Equipped)
Do not use tow/haul or engine braking when driving in icy or slippery conditions as the increased braking
can cause the rear wheels to slide and your vehicle to swing around with the possible loss of vehicle control.
This feature increases engine braking at higher engine speeds to provide better grade descent control with less brake and transmission wear and tear. It also improves engine braking when towing or carrying heavy loads.

E171217
Press the button on the switch bank next to the audio unit to switch the system on or off.
There are two engine brake modes, manual and automatic.
Manual Engine Braking
1. Press the button to switch on manual engine braking.
WARNING
Super Duty (TFE) Canada/United States of America, enUSA, First Printing

Brakes
2. Release the accelerator pedal to maximize engine braking.
3. Apply the brakes. The transmission downshifts to lower gears.
Note: You can shift the transmission to lower gears with progressive range selection (PRS) or manual shifting independent of pressing the brakes.
Note: You can also use manual engine braking with cruise control to improve grade descent control.
Automatic Engine Braking
1. Press the button twice to switch on automatic engine braking.
2. Release the accelerator or brake pedal. The system remembers your vehicle speed.
Note: The system automatically activates the engine brake and, if necessary, downshifts the transmission to lower gears to not exceed your vehicle's set speed when the brake or accelerator were last released.
Note: Use this when driving downhill and carrying heavy loads or trailering.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:14 PM   #31

Quote:
There is a button on the dash that activates the exhaust brake on the diesel.

Well okay then. Thought you were referring to tow/haul mode. So you're using both TH and EB at the same time?

2013 Wildwood 26TBSS
SDShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #32

Quote:
Well okay then. Thought you were referring to tow/haul mode. So you're using both TH and EB at the same time?
Yep. Actually I have not towed with it yet but I have read a lot about it. Looks sweet.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:49 PM   #33

Lots of good advice here. I will ask a favor. If you're driving in the mountains and you see that you are stacking up traffic behind you please pull over and let people pass. If there's no place to pull over then when you come to a straight away DON'T SPEED UP.

It's the rare straight sections where passing is legal. But all too often the guy (or gal) that's been running 15 - 20 MPH under the limit through the turns hits that straight away brings it up to the speed limit. That effectively makes it illegal and/or impossible to pass them. And then they slow down going back into the next set of curves. Better to continue to run that reduced speed and move as far to the right in the lane as you can so people can see around you and pass you.

In this area I encounter this multiple time each day during the summer months. I once counted 17 vehicles (I was #16) stacked up behind a very old motor home creeping over Red Mountain Pass. In several spots the driver had the opportunity to take a lay-by but didn't. People were getting impatient and passing on the double yellow - which I don't condone and will not do. It made for a very dangerous situation.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, towing