Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2017, 06:39 AM   #1

Mountains, Towing and Advice

Hello, we've been in the mountains west of Durango, CO.. I've read all these topics regarding the Tow Mode. From the time we left Oklahoma we've kept the 2016 GT 364 pulling the Jeep in the Tow Mode engaged. I understand everything about using the system Descending the mounting. My question and advice needed is the Climb or Ascending the mountain. We headed west out of Durango and it's a long steep climb. Am I down shifting while watching the RPM level? Should we remove the toad and drive it separately? At one point we were climbing at around 30mph to the top. I have to admit I was stressed going up and then down and I have to turn around and do it all again was we head back. Looking for your continued advice and support.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:01 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Pulled my Jeep all over out west last year. Going up mountain grades is what it is. I don't stress it or overwork the engine trying to go faster. I have tow/haul mode engaged (mainly for the downhill) and keep the rpms at or under 4k. I do try to be courteous to those that are following behind me and get over when I can, but again I don't stress it if I can't. It does make a difference whether your 2016 has a '15 or a '16 chassis. The '15 is only 5 speed and will work a little harder, mine is a '16 with the 6spd.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:23 AM   #3

We didn't have a toad but took 16 over the Bighorns last month. Don't worry about the vehicles behind you. They can slow down. On the way up, pull over at an overlook if there are any and you need the break or want to let traffic pass.

I'd also recommend unhooking the toad and driving both to lighten the load if it is bothering you. The safety of you and your passengers is #1 priority.
sleepybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepybadger View Post
We didn't have a toad but took 16 over the Bighorns last month. Don't worry about the vehicles behind you. They can slow down. On the way up, pull over at an overlook if there are any and you need the break or want to let traffic pass.

I'd also recommend unhooking the toad and driving both to lighten the load if it is bothering you. The safety of you and your passengers is #1 priority.

I'm always courteous and we always pull over and I'm not a fast driver. I want to make sure I'm not over stressing the GT. Thank You
Old 07-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #5

I've made the eastbound climb up I-70 through the Eisenhower tunnel (11,000 ft, west of Denver) many times.

Generally when making a climb, As the MH slows it will downshift, it builds up a little speed then upshifts This drives me nut (Probably bothers me more than the tranny.

Here's how I make those climbs

My target is to maintain a speed and transmission gear that gives me about 4,000 RPM without need to hold the gas pedal on the floor. I manually downshift to a lower gear to prevent the transmission from upshift/downshift. then just hold that speed. If I'm not able to hold the speed, I'll downshift again.

On the I-70 climb, I usually end up in 1st gear, at about 25 mph. And in a line of 18 wheelers doing the same thing. Don't stress, turn on the four ways and enjoy the ride.

IMPORTANT - Watch the downhill side, don't allow the MH to build up speed. I will normally downshift and slow down and attempt to get the engine to do the majority of the braking, Sometimes this will be a descent in 2nd gear running 45 mph. Again, I'm usually in line with the 18 wheelers.

Do not hold constant brakes, do firm braking to slow down quickly, then get off the brakes to allow them to cool - AND pay attention to where the run-away truck ramps are.

NOTE - Altitude effects the power output of your engine. Diesiels do well at high altitudes because they have turbo-chargers. A 300hp DP at sea level ican produce 300hp at 11,000 ft.

NOT SO MUCH with the gasser. A 300hp gasser at sea level can only produce about 225 hp at 11,000 ft .
Old 07-27-2017, 08:35 AM   #6

Remember brake energy is exponential to vehicle speed. Keeping your speed down is crucial to making it down those long mountains safely. Also, with slower speeds, it gives the brakes more time to dissipate the heat created by the descent.
mwdilday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
I've made the eastbound climb up I-70 through the Eisenhower tunnel (11,000 ft, west of Denver) many times.

Generally when making a climb, As the MH slows it will downshift, it builds up a little speed then upshifts This drives me nut (Probably bothers me more than the tranny.

My target is to maintain a speed and transmission gear that gives me about 4,000 RPM without need to hold the gas pedal on the floor. I manually downshift to a lower gear to prevent the transmission from upshift/downshift. then just hold that speed. If I'm not able to hold the speed, I'll downshift again.

On the I-70 climb, I usually end up in 1st gear, at about 25 mph. And in a line of 18 wheelers doing the same thing. Don't stress, turn on the four ways and enjoy the ride.

IMPORTANT - Watch the downhill side, don't allow the MH to build up speed. I will normally downshift and slow down and attempt to get the engine to do the majority of the braking, Sometimes this will be a descent in 2nd gear running 45 mph. Again, I'm usually in line with the 18 wheelers.

Do not hold constant brakes, do firm braking to slow down quickly, then get off the brakes to allow them to cool - AND pay attention to where the run-away truck ramps are.

NOTE - Altitude effects the power output of your engine. Diesiels do well at high altitudes because they have turbo-chargers. A 300hp DP at sea level ican produce 300hp at 11,000 ft.

NOT SO MUCH with the gasser. A 300hp gasser at sea level can only produce about 225 hp at 11,000 ft .
All great points Waiter21!!!
Old 07-27-2017, 08:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post

We climb slowly and when we descend we always use the engine to hold back. We're trying to do everything right ....or at least try too
Old 07-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #9

Had an old truck driver tell me once "pick the gear you'll go over the top in and start at the bottom in that gear."

As for "Tow Mode" on a transmission, as I understand it only "reprograms" the shift points in order to minimize "hunting". I keep my TV in "Tow" all the time the TT is hitched and prefer to manually select gears when climbing mountains.

For coaches towing a vehicle, maybe someday we'll see an invention that allows the coach and towed vehicle to "synchronize throttles" like is done with trains where the engineer in the first power unit can set the amount of power the trailing units provide, including the ones at the end of a 1.5 mile train. That Jeep behind your coach may only have a small engine in it but that extra "push" would be nice on a long pull like we see out west.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Had an old truck driver tell me once "pick the gear you'll go over the top in and start at the bottom in that gear."

As for "Tow Mode" on a transmission, as I understand it only "reprograms" the shift points in order to minimize "hunting". I keep my TV in "Tow" all the time the TT is hitched and prefer to manually select gears when climbing mountains.

For coaches towing a vehicle, maybe someday we'll see an invention that allows the coach and towed vehicle to "synchronize throttles" like is done with trains where the engineer in the first power unit can set the amount of power the trailing units provide, including the ones at the end of a 1.5 mile train. That Jeep behind your coach may only have a small engine in it but that extra "push" would be nice on a long pull like we see out west.

Tow mode on the 2017 ford SD also increases RPM in each gear.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

Not sure how that might effect the towed vehicle tracking. I could see sway generated by a tow vehicle generating power at the rear wheels. Also a liability if the system malfunctioned going down hill.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:50 PM   #12

Humility is a virtue when driving a gasser through mountains.

I chipped my five speed 2015 GT 364. For some reason, Ford designed the tranny to skip fourth gear when downshifting. The chip brings fourth gear back into play. It has reduced the number of those screaming 5,000 rpm downshifts, but not all of them.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #13

All good advice re ascending and descending on the long hills, even the ones that aren't, say , more than 5 - 6 % grade.
But don't forget to put your 4 - ways on when climbing. It gives people a heads up as to your lower speed and, I think, it lets them know you are thinking about them and not just yourself.
Larry Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #14

My gasser pulls a wildcat 5er. Dodge 5.7 hemi. It is slow climbing on grades but I am not in a hurry to reach the top. Pick a gear and speed that marches the rpms. Usually 30-35 depending on how steep. Like others say, be courteous and let them know that you want to share but sometimes there just isn't the way to do it. Going down the other side is a whole different problem. Just don't override your brakes and get them too hot. Have seen semis smoking on downgrades so even the pros have problems. Be careful, stay stress free, and enjoy the ride. After all, you are traveling to camp and enjoy life.
grandpamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:51 PM   #15

The main feature of tow haul mode is more behind the scenes then holding RPM's . The main feature is that it locks the torque converter earlier and longer which saves the transmission from building excessive heat . All the other features are great but the torque converter lock up is the key to tow haul mode. When not in TH mode the transmission does a lot of slipping especially with an heavy load.

Also Diesel trucks slow down at altitude also just not as bad as a gas truck . Trust me I can feel it . lol

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:02 PM   #16

I drove truck for a short time and the rule of thumb that I used was don't go down any faster than you could go up. I usually go down approximately 10 mph faster than I went up. I agree with waiter2. I keep the revs between 3 and 4000 by manually shifting at the top of the hill
outofTucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Pulled my Jeep all over out west last year. Going up mountain grades is what it is. I don't stress it or overwork the engine trying to go faster. I have tow/haul mode engaged (mainly for the downhill) and keep the rpms at or under 4k. I do try to be courteous to those that are following behind me and get over when I can, but again I don't stress it if I can't. It does make a difference whether your 2016 has a '15 or a '16 chassis. The '15 is only 5 speed and will work a little harder, mine is a '16 with the 6spd.
Stupid question how do you know which you have 15 or 16? We have a 2017 Georgetown Gt378
Rvlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cole View Post
But don't forget to put your 4 - ways on when climbing. It gives people a heads up as to your lower speed and, I think, it lets them know you are thinking about them and not just yourself.
Suggesting blanket use of hazard flashers while driving is not recommended...too many states disallow flasher use in this manner:

Hazard Light Use - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

If posted as allowed, by all means...
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
Not sure how that might effect the towed vehicle tracking. I could see sway generated by a tow vehicle generating power at the rear wheels. Also a liability if the system malfunctioned going down hill.
I'm sure those issues could be addressed but like lots of "good ideas", at what cost?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlove View Post
Stupid question how do you know which you have 15 or 16? We have a 2017 Georgetown Gt378
Look at the Ford sticker,under the hood near/on the rad support or the emissions sticker. Should give a year maybe 2016 for a 17. Builds are about a year behind by months.

Tags
mount, towing