Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
Going down the interstate when there is 3 lanes, the middle for us. Remember one time when in right lane, jeep coming on and he was on phone and not paying attention to traffic, guess the air horn got his attention and the surprized look on his face when we disturbed his phone call.
Those phone calls cause so many driving problems. I don't know how people become so insecure that they MUST be talking on the phone at all times. It would be laughable if it weren't so dangerous.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #22
Canadian Member

Moving target?

On a 3 lane (in your direction) highway, the middle lane, like the far left lane, is for passing slower traffic, not for driving all day. Towing a large trailer at 55-65 mph you'll be going slower than most traffic and no one can see around you. So, unless you're driving through an area with a lot of close interchanges, driveways or other access points, get back over in the right lane after you've passed and as soon as it's safe to so. Of course, if nobody wants to let you over, that's a different story.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #23
Denver, CO

I frequently see trucks just pulling onto the highway when they run out of room on the ramp and nobody is giving them room. The only other choice is to stop on the ramp, which is arguably more hazardous yet..

The reality is that the small vehicles have more maneuverability than the big rigs, including ours, and if they don't get out of the way then they are causing the hazard, regulations or no.

People ate pretty courteous in Denver, so I don't see many problems.

IMO, of course.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
We did a 14 day tour of Egypt and it was true culture shock for me. The honking of car horns from hundreds of cars was incessant. In Cairo it went on all night long. And speaking of night, no one turned on their headlights after dark either. It seemed as though the headlights were only used to flash the car in front so that driver would know he was about to be passed. There is no way I would ever consider driving in a populated area of Egypt.

During some free time on our tour we took a taxi to a shopping district. As the taxi was leaving the stand it grazed two pedestrians, our driver rolled down his window and yelled “sorry” and drove off.
LMAO. I had my share of side mirror and pedestrian encounters...it's expected. In three years I only had one accident where traffic went to a dead stop and I was able to stop. The tiny Russian car behind me also managed to stop, but the truck full of refrigerators behind him did not. The worse part is driving through Giza's roundabouts where you have to force your way in. Oh, and the occasional donkey cart on the highway.

You must have taken the taxi driver over to khan el khalili. That place drove me nuts since every time someone visited us, we had to take them there and the pyramids. Those were the years were Egypt was stable. I wouldn't dare go there these days.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
The worse part is driving through Giza's roundabouts where you have to force your way in. Oh, and the occasional donkey cart on the highway.

You must have taken the taxi driver over to khan el khalili. That place drove me nuts since every time someone visited us, we had to take them there and the pyramids. Those were the years were Egypt was stable. I wouldn't dare go there these days.
Yes the Khan al-Khalili is where we were going when the taxi hit the pedestrian.

The roundabouts in Giza were absolutely insane. Our tour bus driver would just bull his way into the traffic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	egypt2 118.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	44148
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0995.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	44150  

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
On a 3 lane (in your direction) highway, the middle lane, like the far left lane, is for passing slower traffic, not for driving all day. Towing a large trailer at 55-65 mph you'll be going slower than most traffic and no one can see around you. So, unless you're driving through an area with a lot of close interchanges, driveways or other access points, get back over in the right lane after you've passed and as soon as it's safe to so. Of course, if nobody wants to let you over, that's a different story.
My BIL is a retired OTR Truck driver and he says that on 3 lane roads where the trucks are restricted to the right 2 lanes, driving slow in the middle lane is blocking the trucks passing lane. I always get over to the right unless there are lots of on ramps.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote