Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #1

Moving target?

Is it me or does it seem like cars don't want to let you merge into traffic? I started merging onto 299 in DC and a car ran up beside me but it was to late and she lost her mirror. I had my blinkers on and there was plenty of space for me. Now I have to figure out how to get the black paint off the side.
vlevesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #2

Stay the path!
Try Mothers clay bar.

https://www.google.com/#q=Mothers+Clay+Bar+
Old 12-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #3

D.C traffic...YIKES! Sorry to read about your accident, hopefully your insurance company won't raise your rates or cancel you.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Stay the path!
Try Mothers clay bar.

https://www.google.com/#q=Mothers+Clay+Bar+

I'll try this. Thanks again!
vlevesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlevesque View Post
I'll try this. Thanks again!
If that does not work then a little buffing compound and some elbow grease may get it off.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #6

I would say that if you are the one trying to merge into traffic, you do not have the right of way, nor is anyone required to let you in. You need to either slow down or speed up if someone is already in the lane you're trying to get into.

I try to move over a lane when I can in order to let someone merge, but when another vehicle is already on the other side of me, I can't do it. All too often I encounter drivers who seem to think I should move over, even when there is another vehicle on the other side of me. Often these people will show their displeasure by pulling behind me within inches of my back bumper, blowing their horns and displaying digital salutes. I am simply not going to crash into another innocent driver in order to accomodate these jerks.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #7

This is a good time to remind people that when getting ready to pull out for the trip. Check you blinkers and brake lights on you towed rig. Thinking that they work and knowing that the work are not the same.

Are you new to pulling a trailer? This scenario of difficulty of merging into traffic happens thousands of times every day. Safety first and always. Plan your route and timing. No smaller vehicle wants to be behind a larger vehicle that can not be seen around. Expect to be 'cut off'. Don't try to 'beat' anyone coming down the highway in the driving lane as you come down the off ramp. They will be in your 'blind' spot very quickly (and the wife and kids start screaming about hitting someone) and they may not be able to move over and bad things could happen quickly. Stay calm and drive smoothly as you merge. Know the areas of contact on your vehicle that will show blame in the ensuing accident. And who will get the ticket. You do not cause the contact. Drive slowly down the shoulder (major highways have shoulders) if you have to in order to get merged. Do not stop on the off ramp or on the shoulder. This is all part of the camping experience of getting there and getting home. I never let my wife or kids drive in certain areas of high traffic. It is my rig and my responsibility and the lives of my family and others on the road are literally in the hands of the 'nut' behind the wheel... me.

Safety first and always.

Safe and happy driving.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #8

The clay bar won't remove the paint scratches you have. Get some rubbing compound and some elbow grease unless you have a buffing wheel.

Most folk don't want to be behind a big rig and they will speed up to block you even if you have your turn signals on. You have to be patient and the best thing is to slow down and get behind them if possible. What annoys me the most is freeway feeders. A lot of stupid people out there that refuse to speed up or slow down to merge onto the highway. I try to get over when possible, but a lot of times you can't. That's why I like going speed limit even if it costs a few MPGs in the long run. If you go too slow you'll find people passing you all the time and we know we can't go too fast.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #9

I think people are just running out of compassion for each other. Nobody cares if you're trying to come onto the highway, RV or not.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4
2017 Heritage Glen QBUD312
Zhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #10

I drive a motorhome and also ride a motorcycle when on the road I ride or drive like everyone out there is going to kill me. Have lasted a long time with this thought.
Stay safe
Poppy Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanna View Post
I think people are just running out of compassion for each other. Nobody cares if you're trying to come onto the highway, RV or not.
RV or not, compassion or not, you can't just pull into highway traffic and expect everyone to get out of the way.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
RV or not, compassion or not, you can't just pull into highway traffic and expect everyone to get out of the way.
It appears a lot of drivers think it's their God giving right for you to have to move out of the way when they are entering the highway. We are the type of people that believe in what goes around comes around and try to be as compassionate as possible. I grew up in the south where the right thing to do was to be as courteous as possible with fellow drivers. It seems to me the further you go north especially on the east coast that driver's are as mean as all get out (no turn signals, they cut you off, tail gate, etc.) and when they do something wrong, it's your fault. I've had people come a few inches from rear ending me only to have them flip me off and @#$$%$#. It defies logic. Just like the biker, probably dead by now, that refused to slow down to get behind me on a feeder with heavy heavy traffic. I let a couple of cars in by stepping on the brake, but he wanted to squeeze in and refused to slow down. He nearly got crushed against the guard rail and realized he wasn't going to win and finally got behind me. He then followed me for a while on the left lane flipping me off and what not....then he realized his turn was coming up and cut in front of our 20k lbs rig so he could take his exit and at the same time another car nearly killed him. Like I said, it defies logic.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
ARLO

DC

DC is noted for having the fastest most inconsiderate, aggressive drivers on the road. I don't even go that way any more.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #14

I lived three years near Alexandria Egypt and made the drive down to Cairo just about every weekend. Despite that there were basically no rules, oh! and the fact that if your horn didn't work you would not be on the road...well, I never had a problem on the road. There were no street lights, stop signs...well, they were there but only as a suggestion. How is it that in our county full of laws, regulations, cops, and nice roads that we see so many stupid accidents. I tell you how! In Egypt you were looking at the rearview and side mirrors more than in front of you. Here people think they are on a Disney ride listening to it's a small world after all doing 75 down the highway while texting Mickey. It defies logic.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
I lived three years near Alexandria Egypt and made the drive down to Cairo just about every weekend. Despite that there were basically no rules, oh! and the fact that if your horn didn't work you would not be on the road...well, I never had a problem on the road. There were no street lights, stop signs...well, they were there but only as a suggestion. How is it that in our county full of laws, regulations, cops, and nice roads that we see so many stupid accidents. I tell you how! In Egypt you were looking at the rearview and side mirrors more than in front of you. Here people think they are on a Disney ride listening to it's a small world after all doing 75 down the highway while texting Mickey. It defies logic.
We did a 14 day tour of Egypt and it was true culture shock for me. The honking of car horns from hundreds of cars was incessant. In Cairo it went on all night long. And speaking of night, no one turned on their headlights after dark either. It seemed as though the headlights were only used to flash the car in front so that driver would know he was about to be passed. There is no way I would ever consider driving in a populated area of Egypt.

During some free time on our tour we took a taxi to a shopping district. As the taxi was leaving the stand it grazed two pedestrians, our driver rolled down his window and yelled “sorry” and drove off.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #16

DC is like no other when it comes to traffic and lane changes. I grew up in LI, NY, moved down here years ago. To this day I still think NY is more polite drivers then down here. I call it the "me" problem. Everyone around here drives like its all about me first. And oh man if your a big vehicle that might slow them down!!! You will not get in front of them no matter what.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I would say that if you are the one trying to merge into traffic, you do not have the right of way, nor is anyone required to let you in. You need to either slow down or speed up if someone is already in the lane you're trying to get into.

I try to move over a lane when I can in order to let someone merge, but when another vehicle is already on the other side of me, I can't do it. All too often I encounter drivers who seem to think I should move over, even when there is another vehicle on the other side of me. Often these people will show their displeasure by pulling behind me within inches of my back bumper, blowing their horns and displaying digital salutes. I am simply not going to crash into another innocent driver in order to accomodate these jerks.
My sentiments exactly. Merging traffic DOES NOT HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY. Merging traffic can either speed up or slow down which may not be a choice of someone already on the highway.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #18

I'm paranoid some simpleton merging into traffic won't realize I'm towing a fiver and try to cut in right behind my trucks bumper. That....would be one helluva mess. That's the main reason I use the middle lane when possible. It gives me more escape routes if needed.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #19
Carknocker Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
I'm paranoid some simpleton merging into traffic won't realize I'm towing a fiver and try to cut in right behind my trucks bumper. That....would be one helluva mess. That's the main reason I use the middle lane when possible. It gives me more escape routes if needed.
x2

have seen the dazed and confused look on the other drivers face when there was something tailgating closer to me than they were. Middle lane for Me!
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #20
Berkshire 390QS

Going down the interstate when there is 3 lanes, the middle for us. Remember one time when in right lane, jeep coming on and he was on phone and not paying attention to traffic, guess the air horn got his attention and the surprized look on his face when we disturbed his phone call.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote