Old 12-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #1

Moving target?

Is it me or does it seem like cars don't want to let you merge into traffic? I started merging onto 299 in DC and a car ran up beside me but it was to late and she lost her mirror. I had my blinkers on and there was plenty of space for me. Now I have to figure out how to get the black paint off the side.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #2

Stay the path!
Try Mothers clay bar.

https://www.google.com/#q=Mothers+Clay+Bar+

Old 12-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #3

D.C traffic...YIKES! Sorry to read about your accident, hopefully your insurance company won't raise your rates or cancel you.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Stay the path!
Try Mothers clay bar.

https://www.google.com/#q=Mothers+Clay+Bar+

I'll try this. Thanks again!
Old 12-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlevesque View Post
I'll try this. Thanks again!
If that does not work then a little buffing compound and some elbow grease may get it off.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #6

I would say that if you are the one trying to merge into traffic, you do not have the right of way, nor is anyone required to let you in. You need to either slow down or speed up if someone is already in the lane you're trying to get into.

I try to move over a lane when I can in order to let someone merge, but when another vehicle is already on the other side of me, I can't do it. All too often I encounter drivers who seem to think I should move over, even when there is another vehicle on the other side of me. Often these people will show their displeasure by pulling behind me within inches of my back bumper, blowing their horns and displaying digital salutes. I am simply not going to crash into another innocent driver in order to accomodate these jerks.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #7

This is a good time to remind people that when getting ready to pull out for the trip. Check you blinkers and brake lights on you towed rig. Thinking that they work and knowing that the work are not the same.

Are you new to pulling a trailer? This scenario of difficulty of merging into traffic happens thousands of times every day. Safety first and always. Plan your route and timing. No smaller vehicle wants to be behind a larger vehicle that can not be seen around. Expect to be 'cut off'. Don't try to 'beat' anyone coming down the highway in the driving lane as you come down the off ramp. They will be in your 'blind' spot very quickly (and the wife and kids start screaming about hitting someone) and they may not be able to move over and bad things could happen quickly. Stay calm and drive smoothly as you merge. Know the areas of contact on your vehicle that will show blame in the ensuing accident. And who will get the ticket. You do not cause the contact. Drive slowly down the shoulder (major highways have shoulders) if you have to in order to get merged. Do not stop on the off ramp or on the shoulder. This is all part of the camping experience of getting there and getting home. I never let my wife or kids drive in certain areas of high traffic. It is my rig and my responsibility and the lives of my family and others on the road are literally in the hands of the 'nut' behind the wheel... me.

Safety first and always.

Safe and happy driving.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #8

The clay bar won't remove the paint scratches you have. Get some rubbing compound and some elbow grease unless you have a buffing wheel.

Most folk don't want to be behind a big rig and they will speed up to block you even if you have your turn signals on. You have to be patient and the best thing is to slow down and get behind them if possible. What annoys me the most is freeway feeders. A lot of stupid people out there that refuse to speed up or slow down to merge onto the highway. I try to get over when possible, but a lot of times you can't. That's why I like going speed limit even if it costs a few MPGs in the long run. If you go too slow you'll find people passing you all the time and we know we can't go too fast.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #9

I think people are just running out of compassion for each other. Nobody cares if you're trying to come onto the highway, RV or not.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4
2017 Heritage Glen QBUD312
Zhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #10

I drive a motorhome and also ride a motorcycle when on the road I ride or drive like everyone out there is going to kill me. Have lasted a long time with this thought.
Stay safe