Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #21
Stupac7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsworld View Post
Stupac7, Sorry to hear about your ongoing problems. I am pretty sure your MH isn't under warranty now. As far is taking it to an RV shop you might look at a Ford Dealer that will work on Large trucks. Some Ford Dealers can direct you in the right direction. If you have towing insurance they will tow it to the nearest service center. Since it is engine related, unless the service center is pretty good and works the mechanic's of a motorhome I would take it to the Ford Dealer or large truck shop that deals with Ford.
Like PaulS said, check the work that was done and make sure nothing was left loose.
Good Luck.

I have made an appointment with a Ford dealer that sells RV's of all kinds for August 3.

Thanks for the suggestions and I have looked for those leaks.
Stupac7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupac7 View Post
Continued adventure. After the repair on my 2006 George Town, all seamed good driving on the way to sister in laws home about a 69 mile trip. Set up and stayed for two nights and everything worked fine except the one AC unit that doesn't work. Was getting ready to leave and needed fuel since I hadn't filled up since my repair job. All seamed well, added 40 gal. at the local Kwik Trip. Drove about 5 miles, and stopped. Then it hasn't run right since. When I slow down to turn, or stop the engine doesn't idle, sputters, and dies. It will start right up again, and I can keeps the RPM.'s up. If I let it slow down, it will once again sputter and die. Thought it might be bad gas. I added three bottles of "Heat" and one bottle of "Seafoam". Still not running at slow idle. I was able to get it going at highway speed and traveled about 4 hours to get home. Still not running at slow idle, even after all those miles.

Any ideas?
This sounds a lot like a catalytic converter starting to get plugged up. Happened to me once (not in a MH) and the symptoms were very similar. Are the old Georgetowns gas?

2006? The timing would be about right.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #23
Stupac7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupac7 View Post
I have made an appointment with a Ford dealer that sells RV's of all kinds for August 3.

Thanks for the suggestions and I have looked for those leaks.

I was inside the MH working on my dinette to make it more storage usable put hinges and a closure on but anyway, the auto steps stopped autoing. Stuck in and I don't have a clue why. Just another day in my blue beast money bucket MH.

Add that to my list.
Fridge on recall list
One roof AC doesn't work
Engine will not idle
Auto Steps stuck in/up.

So far we have spend five days actually using it.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:56 PM   #24
Stupac7

Quote:
Stupac7, Sorry to hear about your ongoing problems. I am pretty sure your MH isn't under warranty now. As far is taking it to an RV shop you might look at a Ford Dealer that will work on Large trucks. Some Ford Dealers can direct you in the right direction. If you have towing insurance they will tow it to the nearest service center. Since it is engine related, unless the service center is pretty good and works the mechanic's of a motorhome I would take it to the Ford Dealer or large truck shop that deals with Ford.
Like PaulS said, check the work that was done and make sure nothing was left loose.
Good Luck.

Thank you Paul S. you had it. I did check all the connect d vacuum hoses and they were fine. Then my mechanic from the previous fix suggest d it might be a vacuum leak also. But, had not found anything. He also suggest d to look around the throttle body. Well, the throttle body has air intake coming in through a black plastic type oval tube. Maybe six inches across and three inches thick. Well it looked fine. It has a metal band tightener on it. It wasn't tight. As a matter of fact the intake was just lightly sitting on the throttle body. I pushed it on to the stop points and tightened up the metal band and presto. It started and idled fine. All is good with the vacuum problem. Thank you again Paul S.

One thing off of my things to get fixed. Next is get the original tires replaced. 2005 tires in 2017 isn't good. Replacing all six next week.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:14 PM   #25

Stupac7, I am glad you got the engine problem fixed.
Now the Steps. If they are like mine. There is a switch on the left going into the motorhome. There should be I think 3 switches together and one of those says steps on it. There is the battery shut off also, but it is a stand alone switch. Battery switch should be on and step switch should be on. There is a sensor on the door that operates the steps when the screen door is opened or closed. Check this sensor, might even wipe it off. Mine was out of adjustment and my steps were giving me all kinds of problems. I am sure you already know to check the batteries and wiring in case the other things I have listed don't help you.
I need tires on my MH also, let me know what you found on tires. I have 19.5, and think your might be a 22. My tires are a 2005 year also. I replace one tire because of a bubble that was found when I had an inspection for getting the license. I have also found tires by a set on amazon and also ebay for a lot cheaper then the local tire shop is charging. I want to do more research before I buy.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #26
Stupac7

Quote:
Stupac7, I am glad you got the engine problem fixed.
Now the Steps. If they are like mine. There is a switch on the left going into the motorhome. There should be I think 3 switches together and one of those says steps on it. There is the battery shut off also, but it is a stand alone switch. Battery switch should be on and step switch should be on. There is a sensor on the door that operates the steps when the screen door is opened or closed. Check this sensor, might even wipe it off. Mine was out of adjustment and my steps were giving me all kinds of problems. I am sure you already know to check the batteries and wiring in case the other things I have listed don't help you.
I need tires on my MH also, let me know what you found on tires. I have 19.5, and think your might be a 22. My tires are a 2005 year also. I replace one tire because of a bubble that was found when I had an inspection for getting the license. I have also found tires by a set on amazon and also ebay for a lot cheaper then the local tire shop is charging. I want to do more research before I buy.

The automatic step thing is still got me baffled. I know about the switch and sensor, wires etc. The steps just act different it seams with the switch on or off. They seam inconsistent. I would think with the switch "on" the steps should go in when the door is closed and out when it is open, simple as that. With the switch off the steps should say out once the door is opened, but that isn't what happens.

Tires, ah yes, I have been told by a bunch of people that anything that has been on an RV for 10 years better get replaced. I have also been told by a tire rep that if the tires are a little older (like a couple years) and have been stored inside, in a temperature controlled building they will still be good. I got my six tires Michilen XRV 22.5 from Simpletire for about $2500.00. An online site.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:42 PM   #27

That sensor on the screen door caused all kinds of problems with our steps also. They would go in and then not come back out when you were leaving the MH. I had one friend that fell to the ground and scared the dickens out of us. Luckily she wasn't hurt. That happened several times before I was able to adjust the sensor, bend the door or what ever it took to fix it. Even now I still don't trust the door/steps even though we haven't had any more problems with it since making the adjustment.
Do a Google search and type in {adjustment for sensor on door for steps site:forestriverforums.com}
Read Entry Step Surprise - Forest River Forums and this explained how it works. This may or may not be your problem, but it is worth a look.
I also found this in the Forest Rivers Library,
Good Luck.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:36 AM   #28

you might try using a rubber mallet and tapping on the motor that drives the steps. Used to have to do that every 6 months or so on my 98 Georgetown.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown