Old 06-04-2019, 06:29 PM   #1

My a/c blowing warm air

Hello everyone,

We are in the middle of the hot season, and my Dometic 15,000 BTU A/C blowing out warm air.

My coach is 4 years old, only 12,000 miles. Open up the roof A/C cover, everything looks like new, no dirty fins, etc... The compressor ran fine, the fan ran fine, no sign of damage or bad capacitor...

The only thing that I could think of is low in Freon. It does not have any connector to check the pressure, I just ordered the tap connector for the freon line that will be here in a couple of days. In the meantime, I just wondering if anyone may have the same problem that may go beyond the low freon. The problem such as a bad valve or any other suggestion...
One other thing, if it low on Freon, there must be a leak somewhere. Could that be a common problem for Dometic with low usage?

Thank,
Tam Le

tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Fairly common for Dometic A/C units - bad coil joints, most likely. If you install the tap and recharge it, the Freon will likely leak out again. I had my small one replaced under an extended service contract.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 40; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:38 AM   #3

Bummer tamdle,
If it is a heat pump then maybe a reversing valve but other than that I would think it is low on freon. You can try adding freon and leak/sealer but not much hope with that either.
My Dometic went out shortly after 3 years and I called Dometic directly and they offered to replace it as a good will jester but said they would not warranty it, it's still going after 4 years. I was happy that they did that, a year after the warranty was out.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #4

It's cheap disposal junk like most stuff FR puts in the units.

If you got 4 years out of it you did good. Had to replace mind last year after only two seasons of use.

Not a terrible DIY project....you can buy them on amazon. I had a tech do mine since we where traveling and had the extended service plan.
Good luck
Donald Smith, UHFRO
2015 Georgetown 368
foretg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #5

Ours quit cooling at the end of last season. Thought it might be the compressor start up capacitor but turned out to be coolant had leaked out and no way to replace. We got a new unit installed under our extended warranty. Only cost was our $34 deductible.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (4) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by foretg View Post
It's cheap disposal junk like most stuff FR puts in the units.
Well with that said, all the other manufactures use the same JUNK as Forest River.
2014 CR-V EX-L w/Nav & Blue Ox & Ready Brute Elite

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:18 PM   #7

Ha ha ha... sound like the only thing that I could say about the Domestic and F/R is a good laugh. I guess that the maintenance cost is part of the fun of owning an RV right? Hope that I don't go broke before I put another 10,000 miles on the coach.

Well, that would mean that I could have the A/C recharge every so often for a couple of hundred bucks each time or replace the unit for about $1,000 to $1,200 and hope that it would last for another 3 to 4 years. Either case, spend the money now without having to keep the service tech come every few months for recharge may be the only solution that I could have now.

Thank for your comments, hope you have a great journey and cost less, ha ha ha...
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:04 PM   #8

Domectic A/C

We just had the forth AC put in, thank goodness for extended warranty. What gets me is the unit is supposed to have a two year warranty but the dealer wants to always replace with extended warranty and charge the $34 deductible. The bedroom AC is still going strong after 6-1/2 years the rear one can't seem to last 2 years. By the way it is always low on Freon, no other problem, they say that cant be fixed just replace, the third one was an entirely different unit than the first two so the company seems to have this problem in more than one kind of unit.
flattyattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:42 AM   #9

You could recharge it yourself for about 5 bucks and if it last a season, that might work. My truck needs about 1 can a year and I do that myself. A can of freon at Walmart is $4.88.
Or you can replace the unit yourself for about $500.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
You could recharge it yourself for about 5 bucks and if it last a season, that might work. My truck needs about 1 can a year and I do that myself. A can of freon at Walmart is $4.88.
Or you can replace the unit yourself for about $500.
As I recall, most of those units don't have the valve installed for recharging the refrigerant. My Jayco didn't and neither does my Cherokee.

TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote